1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 11:52
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i am a theist who believes jesus is god's son. i believe that would be a fair description of what i roughly am
    Can I ask what you believe in relation to Jesus purpose?
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 11:54
    Originally posted by divegeester
    This is not "all unchosen will be put to the sword" is it. This is a group of individuals being put to the sword in a particular battle. Yes in many ancient battles victory was assured by killing all of the enemy. But this is not supporting what you claim.

Can you provide scripture which supports the premise [b]"all unchosen will be put to the sword"
    [/b]
    i am not gonna search for all places in leviticus, deuteronomy which specifically tells the israelites not to accept anyone of a different faith in their midst.

"this is a group of individuals being put to the sword in a particular battle. "
    wrong. this is an entire population being put to the sword, long after the standing army has been defeated. this is not victory being assured, this is ethnic cleansing happening after that victory was certain. killing every woman child and elder is not assuring victory, is assuring the conquered nation is wiped from existance so that no claim could be later made to that land, or resistance movement towards the conquered be formed.

this is laziness. (it is also horrible)
    the persians, the macedonians, the romans assimilated the conquered nations while mostly maintaining their identity intact. the israelites refused to do that.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 11:56
    Can I ask what you believe in relation to Jesus purpose?
    make a different thread then for the purpose of interogating me and i will be happy to answer, this is becoming an off-topic conversation for the sole purpose of satisfying your curiosity and having no relation to me saying the israelites performed genocide
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 12:05
    i am not gonna search for all places in leviticus, deuteronomy which specifically tells the israelites not to accept anyone of a different faith in their midst.

"this is a group of individuals being put to the sword in a particular battle. "
    wrong. this is an entire population being put to the sword, long after the standing army has been defeated. th ...[text shortened]... red nations while mostly maintaining their identity intact. the israelites refused to do that.
    Then we shall disagree. I do agree that God commanded that people in certain conquests be put to the sword.

However there is no scriptural reference supporting the premise that God commanded the Israelites to "put all unchosen to the sword".
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 12:07
    make a different thread then for the purpose of interogating me and i will be happy to answer, this is becoming an off-topic conversation for the sole purpose of satisfying your curiosity and having no relation to me saying the israelites performed genocide
    I'm not intending to interrogate you and I won't start a thread about your beliefs. Yes it is curiosity, I'm interested in what people believe and why.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 13:28
    Then we shall disagree. I do agree that God commanded that people in certain conquests be put to the sword.

However there is no scriptural reference supporting the premise that God commanded the Israelites to "put all unchosen to the sword".
    I do agree that God commanded that people in certain conquests be put to the sword.
    you are contradicting yourself. the chosen people are israelites. all people conquered in canaan were not israelites. they were put to the sword because of express command from god "let none live".

dude, the punishment for idol worshiping (ie anything not judaic) was death. all people including the young, eldery, and women where to be put to death in the conquest of canaan (ie not yet israel).

what do you mean there is no scriptural evidence? there is plenty. i gave you one which is enough to disprove your claim of "no evidence". the rest you may look for yourself. i am not about to offer you 10 more evidence just because you haven't read the bible. i skimmed it and i found plenty.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 14:25
    I do agree that God commanded that people in certain conquests be put to the sword.
    you are contradicting yourself. the chosen people are israelites. all people conquered in canaan were not israelites. they were put to the sword because of express command from god "let none live".

dude, the punishment for idol worshiping (ie anything not judaic) was ...[text shortened]... 10 more evidence just because you haven't read the bible. i skimmed it and i found plenty.
    Have you ever heard of the sons of Anek? These are the people God wanted destroyed. They are descendants of the Nephilim. Read Genesis 6.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 15:151 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Have you ever heard of the sons of Anek? These are the people God wanted destroyed. They are descendants of the Nephilim. Read Genesis 6.
    no

the israelites wanted those people destroyed. and steal their land

god is the supreme being. it is the height of arrogance to claim on one hand that god obliterated humanity in the flood and obliterated sodom and gomorrah and on the other hand that he needs the help of a tribe of barbarians to destroy some other people he doesn't like.

not to mention that it is really retarded for a christian, that supposedly follows christ teachings of love your neighbor, to say with a straight face "god told people to go kill some other people and steal their land"
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 17:10
    no

god is the supreme being. it is the height of arrogance to claim on one hand that god obliterated humanity in the flood and obliterated sodom and gomorrah and on the other hand that he needs the help of a tribe of barbarians to destroy some other people he doesn't like.

not to ...[text shortened]... say with a straight face "god told people to go kill some other people and steal their land"
    Do you think the Israelite's did all this on their own, without God commanding them?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 18:533 edits

Did you read about how Moses sent twelve spies into the land. Ten of the twelve came back with a unfavorable report. The ten fearful spies enfluenced the entire population to want to return to Egypt.

Only Joshua and Caleb were in favor of invasion because they believed that God was with them.

As a result of their hesistation they wandered another 40 years in the wilderness until that whole generation died out in the desert. This not only was a severe discipline to the Hebrews. But it also gave the sinning Canaanites an addition 40 years to contemplate why this supernatural God was going to judge them and scatter their worship centers.

This eagerness you speak of, is it before the additional 40 years in the wilderness or afterwards ?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 19:55
    Originally posted by sonship

Did you read about how Moses sent [b]twelve
    spies into the land. Ten of the twelve came back with a unfavorable report. The ten fearful spies enfluenced the entire population to want to return to Egypt.

Only Joshua and Caleb were in favor of invasion be ...[text shortened]... s eagerness you speak of, is it before the additional 40 years in the wilderness or afterwards ?[/b]
    Some people do not understand the spiritual war between Satan and God. God had the Jews, and Satan was trying to stop the promised seed coming through the Jews bloodline.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 07:14
    Do you think the Israelite's did all this on their own, without God commanding them?
    yes
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 07:22
    Originally posted by sonship

Did you read about how Moses sent [b]twelve
    spies into the land. Ten of the twelve came back with a unfavorable report. The ten fearful spies enfluenced the entire population to want to return to Egypt.

Only Joshua and Caleb were in favor of invasion be ...[text shortened]... s eagerness you speak of, is it before the additional 40 years in the wilderness or afterwards ?[/b]
    a nomadic tribe doesn't attack an established country until the time is right? no, really, tell me more about this unheard of pheonomenon.

"But it also gave the sinning Canaanites an addition 40 years to contemplate"
    bs. how many miracles were needed for the israelites to keep believing in god? food from the sky? freaking sea parting before them? the plagues on the egyptians? and you are telling me that the same was done for the canaanites and they chose to believe in a non-responsive hunk of metal instead. or maybe those same miracles weren't performed before the canaanites in which case we can see god was simply not trying enough because he did need the real estate for his CHOSEN people.
    abe is told the demise of the canaanites is CERTAIN hundreds of years before. for 400 years god couldn't get people to believe in him? and don't tell me the "canaanites were evil" bs either. only children can label entire nations as "evil"
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 07:23
    Some people do not understand the spiritual war between Satan and God. God had the Jews, and Satan was trying to stop the promised seed coming through the Jews bloodline.
    some people are sane.

there is no war between satan and god. if it is, it is a friendly wager. in a war, the clearly superior party crushes the inferior one. to end the war. because god is benevolent, remember?
  15. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 02:35
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes and no.

The Bible shows God driving the Hebrews out of the Holy land because of their sin time and time again. However, he always tried to draw them back again unto repentance.

Simply put, the Hebrews have rejected God over, and over, and over again, but he never gave up on them Biblically. Why should we think he has now?
    Your counter argument doesn't counter what I said.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree