1. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 02:501 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    yes (yes, I believe the Jews acted wholly on their own and therefore believe the bible is false)
    Oh ok. So you say you believe "Jesus is God's son" but yet, you reject the bible. I'm wondering how you believe "Jesus" is "God's" son, while you also reject the one authoritative source describing both parties.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 07:50
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Oh ok. So you say you believe "Jesus is God's son" but yet, you reject the bible. I'm wondering how you believe "Jesus" is "God's" son, while you also reject the one authoritative source describing both parties.
    yes, you are right, because the bible is not a document written over hundreds of years, by numerous authors, and then even what was put into what is considered the bible was decided by the vatican. and we all know that if a part of the bible is proven to be false and i reject it, then the whole book must be false and i reject it as a whole, even if jesus' teachings depend in no way on the supposed genocides of the old testament and in fact contradict them.

(end sarcasm).
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 07:53
    i also wonder.

for example, i wonder how you reconcile the god who so loved the world that he sent his only son to teach it love and compassion with the god of the old testament who so loved only a small group of people that he utterly destroyed a nation so that the former could steal their homes. a god who so loved the world that he destroyed it once.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 08:171 edit
    I have always wondered, (and never got a definitive answer), if I take the current books of the Bible and add one of my own, then publish it as a single volume, does the contents of my added book suddenly become the infallible word of God?
    Or will I be struck down by lightening before I manage to publish it?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 17:25
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I have always wondered, (and never got a definitive answer), if I take the current books of the Bible and add one of my own, then publish it as a single volume, does the contents of my added book suddenly become the infallible word of God?
    Or will I be struck down by lightening before I manage to publish it?
    Why don't you do that experiment and see what happens? 😏
  6. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 05:09
    i also wonder.

for example, i wonder how you reconcile the god who so loved the world that he sent his only son to teach it love and compassion with the god of the old testament who so loved only a small group of people that he utterly destroyed a nation so that the former could steal their homes. a god who so loved the world that he destroyed it once.
    Does a doctor hate the body of a cancer patient when he irradiates the cancer cells?
  7. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 05:37
    i also wonder.

If, just possibly, you can see that this a man-made religion then it begins to make some sense.😀
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 05:471 edit
    Originally posted by caissad4
    If, just possibly, you can see that this a man-made religion then it begins to make some sense.😀
    Haha! Just like the pope in 1939 or whenever, before WWII. He blessed both sides to cover his bets - actually so did the rest of Italy 🙂

Your comment is spot on though. Isn't it nice for the U.S. and it's allies to be warring against a different religion (ie. Islam ), it must make it much easier to reconcile their conciences .
  9. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 05:481 edit
    Since Christianity is completely manmade, surely there was a some point, an idea that was put forth and then a plan executed. Do you think that it was a small group of men that dreamed it all up? What sense does it make that thousands of years ago, a small group of men (and remember, people were so gullible and stupid back then they'd fall for anything) came up with an idea so utterly brilliant that thousands of years later, billions of people would still believe it so passionately? What are the odds of that, considering all the factors involved. And don't forget, whoever these men were that came up with the idea, clearly didn't benefit from it at all.

And if you really believe that thousands of years ago a group of backward, uninformed, gullible idiots came up with an idea that brilliant... then why is it that there aren't tens, hundreds, or thousands of other ideas equally brilliant and able to withstand thousands of years of scrutiny?
  10. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 05:55
    Since Christianity is completely manmade, surely there was a some point, an idea that was put forth and then a plan executed. Do you think that it was a small group of men that dreamed it all up? What sense does it make that thousands of years ago, a small group of men (and remember, people were so gullible and stupid back then they'd fall for anything) ca ...[text shortened]... sands of other ideas equally brilliant and able to withstand thousands of years of scrutiny?
    Brilliant idea ? Not ! I just finished watching a BBC documentarty called Christianity, The First Three Thousand Years. Christianity surviving is owed more to politics than anything else. 😛
  11. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 05:59
    Brilliant idea ? Not ! I just finished watching a BBC documentarty called Christianity, The First Three Thousand Years. Christianity surviving is owed more to politics than anything else. 😛
    Any idea would have to be exceedingly brilliant for ANY manmade, false ideology to last thousands of years with billions of people still claiming absolute belief in it.
  12. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 06:20
    Any idea would have to be exceedingly brilliant for ANY manmade, false ideology to last thousands of years with billions of people still claiming absolute belief in it.
    We humans have shown a strong tendency to grasp any available straw when it comes to answering the question "Why are we here and what is our purpose ?" Brilliant, no, fearful, yes.🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree