1. Joined
    27 Jul '07
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 10:52
    But in the Potter series, the line is not so clear. The "good" guys practice "white magic", while the bad guys practice the "Dark Arts". Readers become fascinated with the magic used (explained in remarkable detail). Yet God is clear in Scripture that any practice of magic is an "abomination" to him. God doesn't distinguish between "white" and "dark" magic since they both originate from the same source.

"There shall not be found among you anyone who …practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you. You shall be blameless before the LORD your God. For these nations which you will dispossess listened to soothsayers and diviners; but as for you, the LORD your God has not appointed such for you."
    Deut. 18:10-14
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 14:54
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]I'm thinking "fundamentally" is much stronger than "influenced."

Tolkien was a craftsman of words. Fundamentally doesn't mean 'basically;' it means 'at its core,'
    or 'stripped of its non-essential elements.'

This ties in with his notion that all mythologies testify to at least some truth, althou ...[text shortened]... contention, or are you just going to 'troll' somewhere else?

Nemesio[/b]
    It's pretty evident that you're not here to "have discourse" - you're here to be confrontational. At every turn you've picked some phrases to pounce on while ignoring others that go against the point you're trying to prove. For example you pounce on the phrase "unconsciously so at first" as if he doesn't follow that with "but consciously in the revision." Either you have a problem being logical or you're purposely being confrontational. You seem to be an intelligent guy, so I have to assume it's the latter.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 21:20
    Originally posted by TheMountainLion
    But in the Potter series, the line is not so clear. The "good" guys practice "white magic", while the bad guys practice the "Dark Arts". Readers become fascinated with the magic used (explained in remarkable detail). Yet God is clear in Scripture that any practice of magic is an "abomination" to him. God doesn't distinguish between "white" and "dark" magic since they both originate from the same source.

Need I remind you that Dungeons and Dragons evolved specifically because of Tolkien? That generations
    of role players exist because Gary Gygax thought that Tolkien opened up a whole new world of fantasy?

Gandalf practices magic. Saruman practices magic. The story is about a magic ring that makes you
    invisible, for heaven's sake! There are good guys doing 'good magic' and bad guys doing 'bad magic.'
    But you extol the Lord of the Rings.

Yes, Harry Potter has detail about magic because it's a school. But, just like Tolkien: it's make-believe.

Lord of the Ring has and will encourage more people to role play than Harry Potter ever will, and
    will contribute to the study of Wicca more that Harry Potter ever will. Why? Because Rowling made
    up her own stuff, devised her own pretend 'magic world' whereas Tolkien's were based on existing
    ancient models -- the very ones that Wicca stems out of!

The real reason why you endorse one and not the other is not because of the content but because
    of the author. Because Tolkien was a Christian, you extol his book and because Rowling is not
    you malign it.

This is not about the books themselves, but about endorsing an author on the sole basis of faith.

Nemesio
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 21:29
    At every turn you've picked some phrases to pounce on while ignoring others that go against the point you're trying to prove.

The objection I raised (which was proven by MountainLion's subsequent post) was his claim that
    Harry Potter teaches people about black magic. It doesn't any more than Lord of the Rings does
    and probably less. Or that Harry Potter runs contrary to a Christian message and Lord of the Rings
    encourages one. This is also not true.

I quoted this section because this is the section I disagreed with, that I thought testified to a
    falsehood. I didn't quote other sections either because I agreed or because it was a matter of personal
    taste and opinion.

For example you pounce on the phrase "unconsciously so at first" as if he doesn't follow that with "but consciously in the revision."

I've never disputed it. If I disagreed with that point, then I would have voiced my objection. Do I
    need to verbally acknowledge every time I agree with someone in order to 'recognize' a common
    point? Actually, the point I was making (which you missed) was that before Tolkien even realized
    it, he admits that he was incorporating 'Christian Myth' into his text. I have no doubt that Rowling
    was doing so as well (but entirely unconsciously).

Either you have a problem being logical or you're purposely being confrontational. You seem to be an intelligent guy, so I have to assume it's the latter.

You called me a troll when I'm not. You've totally ignored my objection (that Harry Potter encourages
    Wiccans or discourages Christianity) which, obviously, MountainLion agrees with (see his second post). You claimed that I was objecting to a person's recommendation of a Christian movie for
    Christians. I didn't object to this at all!

Whom do you really think is being confrontational here? It's you, bud.

Nemesio
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 21:322 edits

This is not about the books themselves, but about endorsing an author on the sole basis of faith.

Nemesio
    That's exactly correct. It's very easy to do a couple thought experiments to demonstrate it.

First, imagine that instead of being written by a modern atheist, the manuscripts for Harry Potter had been found in a box of unpublished material in C.S. Lewis's home. In this case would there still be fundamentalists getting all up in arms and keeping their children from Harry Potter because they believe it teaches evil?

Or similarly, imagine that Rowling herself was an avowed Christian, just as Lewis and Tolkein were. Given the same text, would fundamentalist parents still have a problem with it, or would they find the Christian aspects of it as they do in the former works, maybe even praising it as an "awesome Christian movie."
  6. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 21:37
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Or similarly, imagine that Rowling herself was an avowed Christian, just as Lewis and Tolkein were.
    Tolkien and especially Lewis were hardly Orthodox in their approaches to Christianity.

I firmly believe that if most fundamentalists knew how progressive and mystical they were in their
    approach to Christianity, they would probably begin eschewing The Chronicles... and The Lord of the
    Rings, too.

Nemesio
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 22:021 edit
    [b]At every turn you've picked some phrases to pounce on while ignoring others that go against the point you're trying to prove.

The objection I raised (which was proven by MountainLion's subsequent post) was his claim that
    Harry Potter teaches people about black magic. It doesn't any more than Lord of the Ri u really think is being confrontational here? It's you, bud.

Nemesio[/b]
    I stand corrected. It's becoming increasingly clear that it's the former rather than the latter. You seem to get so lost in the details that you lose sight of the larger picture.
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 22:27
    I stand corrected. It's becoming increasingly clear that it's the former rather than the latter. You seem to get so lost in the details that you lose sight of the larger picture.
    So, are you saying you agree with objection or disagree?

Nemesio
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 23:58
    So, are you saying you agree with objection or disagree?

Nemesio
    Never mind 🙂 Let's just move on.
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 00:05
    Never mind 🙂 Let's just move on.
    I think you're showing who the troll really is.

I disagreed with his assertion about Harry Potter's influence on readers with respect to Christianity
    or magic (either positively or negatively) and you jump all over me.

I accept your apology.

Nemesio
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 00:551 edit
    I think you're showing who the troll really is.

I disagreed with his assertion about Harry Potter's influence on readers with respect to Christianity
    or magic (either positively or negatively) and you jump all over me.

I accept your apology.

Nemesio
    At best we're having a serious failure to communicate. Think what you'd like. I'm at a total loss. You seem to have a remarkable ability to make your own reality
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 01:11
    At best we're having a serious failure to communicate. Think what you'd like. I'm at a total loss. You seem to have a remarkable ability to make your own reality
    What precisely are you trying to communicate? My first post expresses precisely what I was trying
    to communicate, and several posts on this page reiterate it (as well as TheMountainLion's response
    which confirms the suspicions I had).

Can you sum up in a sentence or two what you were trying to communicate?

Nemesio
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 07:45
    Originally posted by TheMountainLion
    Please, go watch The Chronicles of Narnia or at least read the books!
    I have read the books and seen the movie. Since you claim that they are so good maybe you can answer a couple of questions about them.
    1. Why did Aslan have to die to kill beat the white witch? He was clearly so much stronger that he could have killed her at any time he wanted.
    2. Why does Aslan keep disappearing for long periods to let people suffer.
    3. Why does Aslan keep playing games with everyone and acting in riddles etc instead of just helping out.
    4. Do the books actually answer any question about Christianity or do they simply repeat Christian theology in the hope that when put in a children's story nobody will ask difficult questions.

I personally think the books would have been far better an have made far more sense if Aslan was taken out altogether.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 09:072 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I have read the books and seen the movie. Since you claim that they are so good maybe you can answer a couple of questions about them.
    1. Why did Aslan have to die to kill beat the white witch? He was clearly so much stronger that he could have killed her at any time he wanted.
    2. Why does Aslan keep disappearing for long periods to let people suffer.
    books would have been far better an have made far more sense if Aslan was taken out altogether.

Because of the Deep Magic from the Dawn of Time - that is, a power greater than Aslan himself. He was able to handle the situation due to his greater knowledge of Magic using trickery, but he was still bound by the Deep Magic if the Witch had not accepted his offer.

Interesting how this comes from a Christian modelling Christ.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 09:311 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Because of the Deep Magic from the Dawn of Time - that is, a power greater than Aslan himself. He was able to handle the situation due to his greater knowledge of Magic using trickery, but he was still bound by the Deep Magic if the Witch had not accepted his offer.

Interesting how this comes from a Christian modelling Christ.
    Thank you I had forgotten that bit.
    The "Deep Magic" trick was used to cheat the witch out of Edmund's soul.

So when Christians say that Christ "payed for our sins" then it was the Devil that got paid? Or God? I'm confused. Does the story clarify anything or hide the details or does it get it all wrong?

And do any Christians actually understand all this or do they simply like the books (and movie) because they know that they were written with a Christian message in mind and it gives them a warm fuzzy feeling?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree