1. Joined
    27 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 16:592 edits
    Please, go watch The Chronicles of Narnia or at least read the books! I have seen the movie one hell of a lot of times. and read the 7 books by C. S. Lewis many, many times! The books are very good and the movie contains alot of action with an intense battle, deep and prophetic meaning about Jesus, and alot of potential to make a great Disney, Christian movie series.!!!

The Chronicles of Narnia "The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe", is a 143 minutes long, The movie is about that of 4 children (Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy) They embark on an extraordinary adventure discovering talking fauns, friendly beavers, giants and flying horses. When the White Witch learns of their presence in Narnia their lives are in danger, but there is talk that Aslan, the Great Lion, who is on the move.

They enter the land of Narnia through a magical wardrobe and the land of Narnia controlled by the evil white witch that represents Satan. When Edmund tricked into betraying his family and then finally is captured by the White Witch, Peter, Susan and Lucy go to Aslan, a lion that represents Jesus.

After an amazing battle that reminded me of the battle in The Lord of the Rings "The Return of the King", all I could think was, "Why would anyone rather see Harry Potter, which is teaching youngster about the arts of black magic, and witchcraft that is against God/Jesus, when they could go and see this awesome Christian movie.

I really hope that you do get the DVD and watch this awesome movie and read these extremely interesting books.

This movie can also be used as a great way to witness to someone about Christ! =). After watching it you could explain to someone about what some scenes meant and maybe cause them to become saved and see them in heaven someday! Thank you for reading this! - TheMountainLion(Joseph)
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 17:17
    Originally posted by TheMountainLion
    Please, go watch The Chronicles of Narnia or at least read the books! I have seen the movie one hell of a lot of times. and read the 7 books by C. S. Lewis many, many times! The books are very good and the movie contains alot of action with an intense battle, deep and prophetic meaning about Jesus, and alot of potential to make a great Disney, Christ ...[text shortened]... saved and see them in heaven someday! Thank you for reading this! - TheMountainLion(Joseph)
    I agree...I enjoyed it with my wife and grandchildren...even bought a copy...we also enjoyed One night with the King( based on the book of Esther) and Facing the Giants.🙂
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 18:12

After an amazing battle that reminded me of the battle in The Lord of the Rings "The Return of the King", all I could think was, "Why would anyone rather see Harry Potter, which is teaching youngster about the arts of black magic, and witchcraft that is against God/Jesus, when they could go and see this awesome Christian movie.
    Weren't there wizards portrayed as heroes in The Lord of the Rings?
  4. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 18:22
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Weren't there wizards portrayed as heroes in The Lord of the Rings?
    No, the word "wizard" there is just poor translation of the Quenya word Istari, which means "Not a Wizard."
  5. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 21:25
    I'm sure that no Wiccan thinks that Harry Potter embraces their viewpoint, or is a teaching tool for
    their religion, since Wicca is not about levitating people in the air or using magic wands to create fire
    or anything like that.

Rowling's books and the movies based on them have absolutely nothing to do with Christianity. The
    very thought that they would be some sort of proclamation against Christians is either unbridled paranoia
    or profound self-centeredness.

Her aim was to make books for children to teach them about virtuous living through a fantastical
    medium, and they succeed in that aim.

You praise Disney, but Disney films are riddled with 'non-Christian' magic. Ever seen Cinderella or
    Snow White of The Little Mermaid? Are these anti-Christian, too?

Nemesio
  6. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 21:261 edit
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
    No, the word "wizard" there is just poor translation of the Quenya word Istari, which means "Not a Wizard."
    That's right! Gandalf and Saruman were actually angels.

I guess that Tolkien was an evil, evil Christian-hating man just like Rowling is.

😠

Nemesio
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 22:052 edits
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    That's right! Gandalf and Saruman were actually angels.

I guess that Tolkien was an evil, evil Christian-hating man just like Rowling is.

😠

Nemesio
    Nice try, but you've made a serious blunder here 🙂

You might want to check out the following:
    http://www.ctlibrary.com/ct/2003/augustweb-only/8-25-52.0.html

The penalty is for you to stop all that annoying hand waving.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 23:402 edits
    The movie you're promoting has a witch as a main character. She uses magic to kill the lion, and the lion uses even more powerful magic to rise from the dead. The movie/book has other subtle themes from pagan religions as well.

But Christians don't seem to mind the double standard. It's enough for them that Lewis was a Christian and Rowling is not.
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 00:13
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Nice try, but you've made a serious blunder here 🙂

You might want to check out the following:
    http://www.ctlibrary.com/ct/2003/augustweb-only/8-25-52.0.html

The penalty is for you to stop all that annoying hand waving.
    I was being sarcastic. It's clear that Tolkien was deeply influenced by his Catholicism, but also with
    Norse and Anglo-Saxon mythology, too.

To my knowledge, Rowling has never made any claim to be offering her books as to promote the
    rejection of Christianity or to encourage people to become Wiccan.

My point was that Tolkien built his own mythology influenced by the things important to him. They
    have magic spells, and supernatural creatures. He did so, not with the intent to encourage people to
    adopt that mythology, but to tell a heroic story.

Rowling has done the exact same thing.

Nemesio

P.S., I can't read the article without paying $30 a year.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 00:562 edits
    I was being sarcastic. It's clear that Tolkien was deeply influenced by his Catholicism, but also with
    Norse and Anglo-Saxon mythology, too.

To my knowledge, Rowling has never made any claim to be offering her books as to promote the
    rejection of Christianity or to encourage people to become Wiccan.

My point was that Tolkien built his own mythology ...[text shortened]... the exact same thing.

Nemesio

P.S., I can't read the article without paying $30 a year.
    There was enough in the "preview" to get the point which is this:
    Tolkien and Lewis shared the belief that through myth and legend-for centuries the mode many cultures had used to communicate their deepest truths-a taste of the Christian gospel's "True Myth" could be smuggled past the barriers and biases of secularized readers.

So it appears that his intent was more than to "tell a heroic story." I'm not sure why some of you are so intent on slamming what's posted on this forum. The guy was only trying to recommend a movie that is grounded in Christianity to fellow Christians and sees it as preferable to a movie that isn't.

Nice try again. Just admit that you mis-fired on this one 🙂
  11. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 02:151 edit
    Tolkien and Lewis shared the belief that through myth and legend-for centuries the mode many cultures had used to communicate their deepest truths-a taste of the Christian gospel's "True Myth" could be smuggled past the barriers and biases of secularized readers.

Chronicles of Narnia were practically explicit in their Christian undertones.

What specifically Christian aspects are promoted in the Lord of the Rings that aren't promoted
    in the Harry Potter series?

And what evidence does the author make to say that Tolkein's intent was to 'smuggle' Christian
    truths in another guise?

So it appears that his intent was more than to "tell a heroic story."

Okay. I'll admit that I'm wrong when you show me that Tolkein's story is Christologically motivated.
    Did he draw on his Catholicism? Absolutely. He also drew on other mythological frameworks (of this,
    there can be no dispute).

However, the claim that he did so in an effort to compel people to see Christian truths. I would
    maintain that he only strived to promote general virtues, like honor, compassion, and sacrifice...

Just like Rowling.

I'm not sure why some of you are so intent on slamming what's posted on this forum. The guy was only trying to recommend a movie that is grounded in Christianity to fellow Christians and sees it as preferable to a movie that isn't.

Hold on one second. That is not what I objected to. This is the sentence I objected to:

Why would anyone rather see Harry Potter, which is teaching youngster about the arts of black magic, and witchcraft that is against God/Jesus, when they could go and see this awesome Christian movie.

Harry Potter does not teach youngsters about arts of black magic. It does not promote witchcraft.
    It does not oppose Jesus. Harry Potter stuff is just as Christological as Lord of the Rings;
    that is to say, not at all.

I am reasonably confident that any citation from Lord of the Rings that you can muster that appears
    to support Christianity, I can give an analogous one from Harry Potter. I am also reasonably confident
    that any citation you can offer from Harry Potter that shows opposition to Christianity, I can give an
    analogous one from Lord of the Rings.

Nice try again. Just admit that you mis-fired on this one 🙂

I'm opened to admitting that I misfired. Show me how I did. Let's play ball, and if you're right, I'll
    admit that I was wrong. I know both series intimately well, so just fire off some citations.

I'm going to be away from the computer from 1 August to 6 August (I think), so if I don't respond
    during that time, don't fret that I've let the thread go. I promise to give it my full and undivided
    attention.

Nemesio
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 03:122 edits
    [b]Tolkien and Lewis shared the belief that through myth and legend-for centuries the mode many cultures had used to communicate their deepest truths-a taste of the Christian gospel's "True Myth" could be smuggled past the barriers and biases of secularized readers.

Chronicles of Narnia were practically explicit d go. I promise to give it my full and undivided
    attention.

Nemesio[/b]
    The sentence to which you object is what he thought to himself when he was "trying to recommend a movie that is grounded in Christianity to fellow Christians and sees it as preferable to a movie that isn't." It was just a side comment. Why make a big deal of it?

I found this quote from a 1953 letter Tolkien wrote to a Father Robert Murray:
    "The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision"

I'm guessing he might have a clue.
  13. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 04:39
    The sentence to which you object is what he thought to himself when he was "trying to recommend a movie that is grounded in Christianity to fellow Christians and sees it as preferable to a movie that isn't." It was just a side comment. Why make a big deal of it?

Because it's false! Because he asserts that Harry Potter is pro-Wicca and anti-Christian. That's
    utter nonsense.

I found this quote from a 1953 letter Tolkien wrote to a Father Robert Murray:
    [b]"The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision"

I'm guessing he might have a clue.[/b]

Did you read the part where I said that his Roman Catholicism influenced his text? Here's the quote,
    even though it's still on this page:
    It's clear that Tolkien was deeply influenced by his Catholicism, but also with Norse and Anglo-Saxon mythology, too.

Again, show me how anything Tolkien wrote was specifically Christian and I'll select a passage
    that mirrors the same sentiment in Harry Potter.

Or, show me a passage from Harry Potter that is specifically anti-Christian and I select a passage
    that mirrors the same sentiment in the Lord of the Rings.

Tolkien believed that all mythology revealed some truths about God, but were prone to flaws and
    errors, and that Roman Catholicism is the 'True Myth.' His work was simply another one of those
    myths that strove to channel something 'God-like' -- heroism, compassion, sacrifice, duty, &c --
    like the myths that preceded it.

Rowling's texts are no different. She may not believe in God, but the moral of her story and the
    virtues her characters embrace are no less 'God-like.'

Nemesio
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 04:471 edit
    [b]The sentence to which you object is what he thought to himself when he was "trying to recommend a movie that is grounded in Christianity to fellow Christians and sees it as preferable to a movie that isn't." It was just a side comment. Why make a big deal of it?

Because it's false! Because he asserts that Ha ry and the
    virtues her characters embrace are no less 'God-like.'

Nemesio[/b]
    I'm thinking "fundamentally" is much stronger than "influenced."

You'll have to troll elsewhere.
  15. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 05:46
    I'm thinking "fundamentally" is much stronger than "influenced."

Tolkien was a craftsman of words. Fundamentally doesn't mean 'basically;' it means 'at its core,'
    or 'stripped of its non-essential elements.'

This ties in with his notion that all mythologies testify to at least some truth, although some more
    than others (a sentiment with which I wholeheartedly agree).

And, so, I would continue to maintain that Rowling's work is no less 'fundamentally' Christian than
    Tolkien's. Tolkien himself admits that initially the 'Christian' influence was subconscious. I'd argue
    that the same influence was present in Rowling's text, whether she intended it or not, whether she
    believes in it or not, because, as Tolkien said, there is some divine truth in all mythological constructs.

You'll have to troll elsewhere.

A troll is a person who drops in, lays a controversial bomb, and runs off. I'm inviting discourse and
    even the opportunity to be wrong. A troll does not do this.

Do you have the stones to take on my contention, or are you just going to 'troll' somewhere else?

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree