1. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    22 Jan '12 18:47
    modern Christians in America need to put Christ back at the center of there politics, their jobs, and their homes. Below is a link to an interesting essay, I highly recommend it.

http://blakehuggins.wordpress.com/2007/10/10/proclaiming-jesus-as-lord-in-the-empire/
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '12 19:00
    Originally posted by duecer
    modern Christians in America need to put Christ back at the center of there politics, their jobs, and their homes. Below is a link to an interesting essay, I highly recommend it.

http://blakehuggins.wordpress.com/2007/10/10/proclaiming-jesus-as-lord-in-the-empire/
    While this might belong in Debates, I'll ask, what would South Carolina Republicans who follow your advice that "modern Christians in America need to put Christ back at the center of there politics, their jobs, and their homes" have done in the recent primary? Vote for one of the 4 candidates? Not vote? Write in someone else?
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '12 19:55
    What would it actually mean to have a politics that was centered around Christ?

imagine if you held an election and none of the candidates was to tell a lie or willfully misrepresent their own or an opponent's history or views (and this would include statements that are "technically true" but clearly intended to deceive people)

imagine if ALL campaign donations were merely anonymous expressions of support for a given candidate - where no one was trying to get an extra "influence" over future legislation.

imagine if all candidates candidly addressed all of the difficult issues facing the nation and sincerely offered their best solutions - even if such solutions might prove to be controversial with the "base".

imagine if candidates were willing to admit that they really "didn't have a clue" about what to do about a certain issue - if indeed they didn't have a clue about what to do.

yes...this sounds like an absurd utopian fantasy -- but is it not the way Jesus would want the political process to be like?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jan '12 20:54
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    imagine if....
    Imagine if people actually cared about each other and their country without having to be indoctrinated into a religion first.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 12:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Imagine if people actually cared about each other and their country without having to be indoctrinated into a religion first.
    the religion is a philosophical and moral system. why would it be any different to indoctrinate someone into a religion than your own "caring philosophical system"?
  6. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 12:30
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    the religion is a philosophical and moral system. why would it be any different to indoctrinate someone into a religion than your own "caring philosophical system"?
    On the dot ! Great reply !
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 14:09

Yes but if we have learned anything from history we ought to know that once those who proclaim "Jesus is Lord" have taken the reigns of power there will still be an empire. Only instead of the American Empire we'll have the Holy American Empire with just as many wars and military bases around the globe as we have now.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 16:35
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    If the religion is exclusivist on the basis of beliefs instead of behavior, to that extent it should not be the basis of government, on two counts: beliefs are not to be legislated, and deviations of belief are not to be the basis of exclusivist practices by government.

Behavior is the legitimate sphere of influence of government, and that sphere is to be limited by a constitution, not religious scripture.

However, because people tend to enshrine their moral codes in religion, it is to be expected that they will want to encode them in law, and in the free market of ideas, their opinions should have a hearing.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 16:38

Every time I hear someone promote religion in politics, it is always their own religion that they promote.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 16:594 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    Every time I hear someone promote religion in politics, it is always their own religion that they promote.
    I agree - but even here - whenever someone promotes religion in politics, they're usually promoting some political ideology (mostly conservative, but liberals will do it as well) and trying to claim that the scriptures (usually the Bible, in the US) supports that ideology.

My argument is that pretty much all religions (as well as many atheists) support the ideals of humility, honesty, sincerity, and integrity. If, somehow, these ideals were to be brought into the political process by everyone (candidates, officeholders, donors, and voters), all the other problems would likely be solved as much as it is possible for a government to solve them.

So it would seem that this should be THE top priority.

But the reality is that you almost NEVER hear religious leaders making a serious attempt to denounce bad political behavior -- or if they do, they will only denounce the behavior of politicians they already disagree with.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree