This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 22:47
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Unless you're fluent in Latin your first problem would be learning the language. English was pretty different in 1014. Clearly I'm assuming that you'd end up in medieval Europe, elsewhere I think the situation would be the same - only without the handy link to the past Latin would give to European time travellers.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 22:561 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Unless you're fluent in Latin your first problem would be learning the language. English was pretty different in 1014. Clearly I'm assuming that you'd end up in medieval Europe, elsewhere I think the situation would be the same - only without the handy link to the past Latin would give to European time travellers.
    Modern English didn't get started till around 1500 or so when the 4 tribes in England had to find a way to communicate with each other. So you better learn Latin or Greek or maybe early German or Occitan. Occitan was the language of the first European literature.

Here is a nice link to the history of English. The roots go back further than I thought.

http://grammar.about.com/od/words/a/historytimeline_2.htm
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 23:14
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    We have too many trolls on this forum. 😏
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 23:53
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    We have too many trolls on this forum. 😏
    It takes one to know one.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Oct '14 02:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Modern English didn't get started till around 1500 or so when the 4 tribes in England had to find a way to communicate with each other. So you better learn Latin or Greek or maybe early German or Occitan. Occitan was the language of the first European literature.

Here is a nice link to the history of English. The roots go back further than I thought.

http://grammar.about.com/od/words/a/historytimeline_2.htm
    I'm curious as to who you think the 4 tribes of the English in 1500 were. That was long gone. There were 40 odd kingdoms which merged over time to form the Heptarchy and later on England itself by 950. Anglo-Saxon is most closely related to Old Frisian, the Romans gave a parcel of land to legionaries in conquered territory and the legions were full of Germans. The Romans and huge numbers of Romano-British (they saw themselves as Roman and wanted to be in the Empire) left in 450. Germanic mercenaries provided security and then after a rebellion over pay took control. There was no invasion in any numbers. Cerdic landed with two boats, not the entire population of Saxony. After the English converted to Christianity writers tried to fit English history into the story of the fall of Israel and Judah. Bede claimed that Anglen was completely depopulated and they'd all moved here, which wasn't true it was just they were Pagan and the church wanted no contact to avoid people reverting. The loss of trade is probably what caused the Vikings to attack. By 950 English was Old Frisian with large numbers of loan words from Old Norse (e.g. Sky, egg, leg) and all the Grammar removed (we don't decline articles any more). The Normans invaded in 1066 and tribal identity was well and truly over. You were either English or Norman and the Normans spoke French, of a sort. 1,500 is far too late for this. This is the start of the Tudor era and the language they were using was pretty much modern English.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '14 18:213 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 05:03
    For a nation is come up upon my land, strong, and without number, whose teeth are the teeth of a lion, and he hath the cheek teeth of a great lion...
    Alas for the day! for the day of the LORD is at hand, and as a destruction from the Almighty shall it come.

(Joel 1:6,15 KJV)
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 16:24
    For a nation is come up upon my land, strong, and without number, whose teeth are the teeth of a lion, and he hath the cheek teeth of a great lion...
    Alas for the day! for the day of the LORD is at hand, and as a destruction from the Almighty shall it come.

(Joel 1:6,15 KJV)
    Once again showing the results of not being able to think for yourself, instead, just deferring to whatever bible passage you have already memorized, the panacea for all the world's ills. As if.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 16:261 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I'm curious as to who you think the 4 tribes of the English in 1500 were. That was long gone. There were 40 odd kingdoms which merged over time to form the Heptarchy and later on England itself by 950. Anglo-Saxon is most closely related to Old Frisian, the Romans gave a parcel of land to legionaries in conquered territory and the legions were full of ...[text shortened]... s is the start of the Tudor era and the language they were using was pretty much modern English.
    Well, tribes was mis-spoken, I guess I should have said four languages were spoken around London in the 1300's and such leading to the effort to create a common language.

BTW, if someone finds I am speaking out my ass, I don't mind being corrected, I take it in and adjust my stance. Unless it's RJ doing the correcting🙂
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Oct '14 04:58
    Once again showing the results of not being able to think for yourself, instead, just deferring to whatever bible passage you have already memorized, the panacea for all the world's ills. As if.
    It could be that while we are occupied with the problem of ISIS and terrorism that Iran will finish making their nuclear bombs. There has been news reports that China and Russia have become very friendly with Iran. Turkey, a majority Muslim nation, is not making any effort to confront ISIS even as it is fighting right on the Turkish border and Turkey is a member of NATO.

Endtime Biblical prophecies could possibly be on the verge of fulfillment.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Oct '14 14:37
    It could be that while we are occupied with the problem of ISIS and terrorism that Iran will finish making their nuclear bombs. There has been news reports that China and Russia have become very friendly with Iran. Turkey, a majority Muslim nation, is not making any effort to confront ISIS even as it is fighting right on the Turkish border and Turkey is a member of NATO.

Endtime Biblical prophecies could possibly be on the verge of fulfillment.
    Er, you haven't been keeping up. You need to get out more. Turkey has taken in almost 2 MILLION refugees from the fighting and has recently allowed US fighters to use air fields inside Turkey and are closing in on a deal to put Turk soldiers on the ground to fight ISIS.
  13. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    24 Oct '14 16:17
    Er, you haven't been keeping up. You need to get out more. Turkey has taken in almost 2 MILLION refugees from the fighting and has recently allowed US fighters to use air fields inside Turkey and are closing in on a deal to put Turk soldiers on the ground to fight ISIS.
    Why should he? All he needs to know was written 2000ish years ago.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Oct '14 21:04
    We shall see about Turkey. But what do you say of Russia, China, Iran relations?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Oct '14 21:05
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Why should he? All he needs to know was written 2000ish years ago.
    It is not that simple.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree