1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 19:15
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Surely Christians believe they 'have' the truth, rather than having an aversion to it?
    We all have an aversion to the truth. That's why they say that the truth hurts

The Bible calls is a double edged sword cuz it's going to cut you.

There are but two reactions. Denial and rage or acceptance and repentance.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 19:395 edits
    @whodey said

The truth only hurts those with an aversion to truth. It hurts those with a hatred of truth most of all. A common term for it is "pride". The vast majority of Christians are extremely prideful.

Take KJ and his poor reading comprehension skills for example. He absolutely hates it when it's pointed out to him.

Matthew 18
    1At that time the disciples came to Jesus and said, “Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” 2And He called a child to Himself and set him before them, 3and said, “Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. 4“Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 19:41
    @whodey said

Fortunately, my semblance of truth isn't situated in an arbitrary collection of books.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 19:451 edit
    @whodey said
    Yes or no, did your conversion have anything to do with the Bible or did you just make up the Lamb thingy?
    Yes the bible had something to do with my “conversion” (if that’s what you want to call it). But the originator and author of my faith is Jesus Christ himself and power of his transforming spirit. Personal witness from other Christians was a key aspect.

I truly believe that the bible is not necessary for salvation, also I don’t view it as being a “Holy” (capital H) book. Only God is holy.

The words in the book have no power whatsoever unless the spirit of God quickens them to a person’s spirt.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 22:45
    @divegeester said
    Yes the bible had something to do with my “conversion” (if that’s what you want to call it). But the originator and author of my faith is Jesus Christ himself and power of his transforming spirit. Personal witness from other Christians was a key aspect.

I truly believe that the bible is not necessary for salvation, also I don’t view it as being a “Holy” (capital H) bo ...[text shortened]... rds in the book have no power whatsoever unless the spirit of God quickens them to a person’s spirt.
    Agreed. That is what I was getting at.

Do you find elements of the Bible to be in error or deceptive even though you credit it with this great truth?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 22:46
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Fortunately, my semblance of truth isn't situated in an arbitrary collection of books.
    What is it situated in then?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 23:40
    @divegeester said
    What is the definition of “religionist”?
    Why don't you cut the bull and simply explain how you've used it in the past?

Just recall one of your many diatribes against organized religion if your memory is fuzzy.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 23:42
    @divegeester said
    General: I adhere to a religion.

Especially: I could be a zealot in terms of certain doctrines I believe.
    You're certainly a zealot in defending FMF, even at the cost of your integrity.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 23:43
    @whodey said
    All we like sheep have gone astray...................
    Some, more astray than others....
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 23:45
    @divegeester said

I truly believe that the bible is not necessary for salvation, also I don’t view it as being a “Holy” (capital H) bo ...[text shortened]... rds in the book have no power whatsoever unless the spirit of God quickens them to a person’s spirt.
    Isn't this part of your creed against being a 'religionist'?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 23:47
    @suzianne said
    You're certainly a zealot in defending FMF, even at the cost of your integrity.
    I've always thought that divegeester exhibits more integrity here than you do. Is that unfair of me to say so?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 23:51
    @suzianne said
    Some, more astray than others....
    Then again, not even sheep kill their unborn.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 23:58
    @whodey said
    Agreed. That is what I was getting at.

Do you find elements of the Bible to be in error or deceptive even though you credit it with this great truth?
    Hmm, it didn’t sound like it was “what you were getting at” when you posted this on the previous page:

”Yes or no, did your conversion have anything to do with the Bible or did you just make up the Lamb thingy?”

You give two alternatives; either my conversion had something to do with the bible...or...I was making it up.

You sound flaky.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '18 23:59
    @suzianne said
    Isn't this part of your creed against being a 'religionist'?
    What creed? What are you on about?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 00:011 edit
    @whodey said
    What “great truth” is it that I have credited it (the bible) with?

Why would you presume from what I’ve written that I find the bible “to be in error or deceptive”?

What an odd thing to say.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree