1. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    01 May '11 03:47
    Here's the game to end all games> Find the Way through the Middle:

"Nagarjuna's philosophy of Madhyamika proposed that things are without essence and have existence only as they relate to other things. Thus, to say that things exist is not true, and to say that things don't exist is not true.

The Eight Negations express Madhyamika -- the "middle way" -- between dualisms:

1.No cessation
    2.No arising
    3.No annihilation
    4.No permanence
    5.Not one
    6.Not many
    7.No coming
    8.No going"

[With minor adaptations, from:
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/buddhismglossarye/g/eightnegations.htm)]
  2. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    01 May '11 04:10
    Another clue spot:

"28 APRIL 2011

The "two sides" of the "coin of nonduality"
    In expressing the inexpressible non-dual Wholeness, using language which in itself is inherently dualistic, there seem to be two aspects or "sides" of this basically up close and intimate sharing: A so called "negative side" and a so called "positive side". Heads and tails of the one-unicity coin, if you like.

What is the "positive" side? Just this. Noticing, I AM, Being. Noticing and honoring that Beingness, which is absolutely never absent in any "state", as What-I-Am (What-You-Are). That One Consciousness, the Universal I AM, has never been missing and therefore cannot ever be "lost". How could you or I "lose" BEING? So dwell in the absolute incontrovertible Knowingness- I AM, Being. It is clear and ever present, and it is That which ALLOWS all the relative expression, the relative "twoness" of this magnificent, scary, lovable, amazing manifestation. Like the sky allows tornadoes and hurricanes, sunny skies and clear days and nights, that Being which You ARE allows it ALL.

As the Sage Ramesh Balsekar noted: "You are not an individual being, let alone an individual doer. You're not even an individual entity! You are nothing. You are merely a pattern of vibrating energy. Truly understanding that, with conviction, will help tremendously."

Understanding. The entry point to Paradise is this Understanding, this simple Seeing-Knowing sans Seer-Knower! SOOoooo simple that the machine-mind overlooks That as it seeks and searches for That, and all the while That is hiding in plain sight, EVERYWHERE EVERYWHEN. As Sri Nisargadatta said so powerfully, "Understanding is ALL!" Indeed, that is a pure FACT, NOT a speculation or opinion. Seeing that, "getting" that, is essential (in the view from Here).

Then we have the so-called "negative side". This is generally expressed as not this tot that. In short, to answer the question that leads to the home we never really left, "Who am I?, with, not this not that. Negating everything, what is left? Nothing. Abd That is truly sacred!

One brilliant expression of "negation" is expressed by Buddhism's Nagarjuna: Nagarjuna's philosophy of Madhyamika proposed that things are without essence and have existence only as they relate to other things. Thus, to say that things exist is not true, and to say that things don't exist is not true. The Eight Negations express Madhyamika -- the "middle way" -- between dualisms:

1. No cessation
    2. No arising
    3. No annihilation
    4. No permanence
    5. Not one
    6. Not many
    7. No coming
    8. No going

So: What IS That which is NEITHER Being NOR Non-Being? The answer to this question cannot be found. And in that Non-Finding what is forever unconcealed is What You Are. Eternally just That and nothing else.

Finally it is present, clear and plainly obvious. At the end of the search we are found at the pointless point prior to the beginning of the search. Beyond, before, after, these are all seen NOW as meaningless concepts. And since we are no-concept, that is realization: There never was anything"missing". What we are is never and could never be hidden. We are no thing no where and not even THAT!

Home.

"Be aware of being conscious and seek the source of consciousness. That is all." ~Sri Nisargadatta."

- http://beingisknowing.blogspot.com/2011/04/two-sides-of-coin-of-nonduality.html
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 May '11 04:49
    "Promotion of consiousness" should be our primary goal when engaging in spiritual practice.
  4. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    03 May '11 11:47
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    "Promotion of consiousness" should be our primary goal when engaging in spiritual practice.
    "Every experience, whatever its shape or form
    and the nature of mind have ever been one,
    so forgoing the constructs of the goal-oriented schools,
    in simply focusing on the mind just as it is,
    our own total presence is revealed as the nature of appearances.

Failing to realize this, people attach labels,
    calling the tangible 'relative' and the intangible 'absolute';
    nondual absolute and relative are the one reality
    although even I cannot truly express it.
    The longing for happiness is a disease of attachment.
    and happiness is attained through absence of desire;
    buddhahood, unattainable by any striving,
    is spontaneously accomplished by unstressed simple being.
    Rest unthinking in the relaxed natural state!"

from "Lonchempa's Treasury of Natural Perfection" Stanza 19 "Buddhahood is not attained by Purposeful Action" - p77

I suggest go easy on the goal-setting, Karoly.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 May '11 22:48
    Originally posted by Taoman
    "Every experience, whatever its shape or form
    and the nature of mind have ever been one,
    so forgoing the constructs of the goal-oriented schools,
    in simply focusing on the mind just as it is,
    our own total presence is revealed as the nature of appearances.

Failing to realize this, people attach labels,
    calling the tangible 'relative' and the intangibl ...[text shortened]... ttained by Purposeful Action" - p77

I suggest go easy on the goal-setting, Karoly.
    Go easy on goal setting? sure ...
    I set my goals quite some time now.
    Now I just wait for the dividends of my reverse cultivation, be they bitter or sweet 😉
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 May '11 22:51
    What do you think of this, Taoman: "As we near enlightenment, so too our egos grow, even though that is what the true aspirant seeks to rid him/herself of." ?

(Not very good at wording this morning, but I remember coming across something pretty similar in..I believe it was some Zen literature.)
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    08 May '11 00:081 edit
    Another clue spot:

"28 APRIL 2011

The "two sides" of the "coin of nonduality"
    In expressing the inexpressible non-dual Wholeness, using language which in itself is inherently dualistic, there seem to be two aspects or "sides" of this basically up close and intimate sharing: A so called "negative side" and a so called "positive side". Heads and tails of spot.com/2011/04/two-sides-of-coin-of-nonduality.html
    Deny the reality of things
    and you miss their reality;
    assert the emptiness of things
    and you miss their reality.
    The more you talk and think about it
    the further you wander from the truth.
    So cease attachment to talking and thinking,
    and there is nothing you will not be able to know.

To awaken even for a moment
    is to go beyond appearance and emptiness.

Although all dualities arise from the One,
    do not be attached even to ideas of this One.

—From the Hsin-Hsin Ming by Seng Ts’an (3rd Zen patriarch)

Eightfold paths, eightfold negations—too much, too much!
    Counting-house Tao: interesting pastime
    to keep the monkey-mind occupied, okay;
    or just for the sake of good play, okay.

How many minds do you count with?
    How many minds do you count?

Be well. 🙂
  8. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    08 May '11 03:51
    What do you think of this, Taoman: "As we near enlightenment, so too our egos grow, even though that is what the true aspirant seeks to rid him/herself of." ?

(Not very good at wording this morning, but I remember coming across something pretty similar in..I believe it was some Zen literature.)
    Any ego, any goal setting, (ok in daily conditioned living) is neither the point, or not not-the-point when the "Seeing without a Seer" happens. It is like a falling relaxed into the nondual Void, with no-thing to grasp, no goal, no self. It is pure, simple presence in the moment. Sparks of it occur regularly, sometimes big sparks, but when they do happen and you recognise it, you have done nothing, you have been "lost in the act", fully present. That is a little spark of "enlightenment", recognition
    and is happening without a "you" being aware of it, yet enjoying it to the full.

Have you ever been at a party where everybody is having a great time, in no particularly ordered way, and someone then pops up and tries to organise some "fun", or get everyone to "relate " to one another. It often sort of deflates everything.

Like that, its actually about not trying, than trying.
  9. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    08 May '11 04:07
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Deny the reality of things
    and you miss their reality;
    assert the emptiness of things
    and you miss their reality.
    The more you talk and think about it
    the further you wander from the truth.
    So cease attachment to talking and thinking,
    and there is nothing you will not be able to know.

To awaken even for a moment
    is to go beyond appearance and ...[text shortened]... d play, okay.

How many minds do you count with?
    How many minds do you count?

Be well. 🙂
    The sutras are but disappearing ink on paper. Not one of them have ever brought anyone to enlightenment. They are as fire-lighters.

Silence is the best answer - but it is no answer, not even a pointing.

Countless have been the words of pointing. And yours, and good Seng T'san's , so right, are added to the useless differentiating pile.

Playing, playing. Ok, ok.

No-Mind, yet mind-ing.

Ha ha! Ho, ho!
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 May '11 08:22
    The sutras are but disappearing ink on paper. Not one of them have ever brought anyone to enlightenment. They are as fire-lighters.

Countless have been the words of pointing. And yours, and good Seng T'san's , so right, are added to the useless differentiating pile.

No-Mind, yet mind-ing.

Ha ha! Ho, ho!
    Two ole cows and a foal
    and a loco beetle
    on an empty Chessboard
    😵
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    08 May '11 16:46

No-Mind, yet mind-ing.

Ha ha! Ho, ho!
    I bow. 🙂
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    08 May '11 16:52
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Two ole cows and a foal
    and a loco beetle
    on an empty Chessboard
    😵
    Also a bow

al escarabajo loco
    de un loco colibrí
    !
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 May '11 18:59
    Any ego, any goal setting, (ok in daily conditioned living) is neither the point, or not not-the-point when the "Seeing without a Seer" happens. It is like a falling relaxed into the nondual Void, with no-thing to grasp, no goal, no self. It is pure, simple presence in the moment. Sparks of it occur regularly, sometimes big sparks, but when they do happen an ...[text shortened]... t of deflates everything.

Like that, its actually about not trying, than trying.
    Yes but with still half an 'eye on the prize',no? Otherwise we're just back to being unthinking plebs..
  14. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    09 May '11 02:36
    Yes but with still half an 'eye on the prize',no? Otherwise we're just back to being unthinking plebs..
    Keeping "an eye on the prize" is neither part of it, nor is it not part of it.

Is "half an eye" a way of you seeking to express the Middle Way?

Unthinking plebs have something very important to present to us thinking plebs, even if unbeknown to themselves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree