1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    11 May '16 16:41
    I found this rather interesting, what are your thoughts? http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/atheist.html

Billions of years ago, a big bang produced a large rock. As the rock cooled, sweet brown liquid formed on its surface. As time passed, aluminum formed itself into a can, a lid, and a tab. Millions of years later, red and white paint fell from the sky, and formed itself into the words "Coca Cola 12 fluid ounces."

Of course, my theory is an insult to your intellect, because you know that if the Coca Cola can is made, there must be a maker. If it is designed, there must be a designer. The alternative, that it happened by chance or accident, is to move into an intellectual free zone.

Note that the banana:

Is shaped for human hand
    Has non-slip surface
    Has outward indicators of inward content:
    Green-too early,
    Yellow-just right,
    Black-too late.
    Has a tab for removal of wrapper
    Is perforated on wrapper
    Bio-degradable wrapper
    Is shaped for human mouth
    Has a point at top for ease of entry
    Is pleasing to taste buds
    Is curved towards the face to make eating process easy
    To say that the banana happened by accident is even more unintelligent than to say that no one designed the Coca Cola can.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 May '16 17:12
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    To say that the banana happened by accident is even more unintelligent than to say that no one designed the Coca Cola can.
    To say that the banana happened by accident is what is called a 'straw man' argument. ie nobody says that, so why did you bring it up?

The banana is a man made crop.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 May '16 17:161 edit
    Has a point at top for ease of entry...
    😲
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    11 May '16 17:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    To say that the banana happened by accident is what is called a 'straw man' argument. ie nobody says that, so why did you bring it up?

Man invented the banana?
  5. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    11 May '16 17:451 edit

What did they make it from if I may ask?

I find it amusing that you deny that the banana happened by accident yet you will probably claim that the human who supposedly made the banana, came about by accident.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 May '16 18:11
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Man invented the banana?
    Not 'invented'. Bred.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 May '16 18:16
    You could have just Googled it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musa_acuminata
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musa_balbisiana

I find it amusing that you deny that the banana happened by accident yet you will probably claim that the human who supposedly made the banana, came about by accident.
    That depends on how you define 'accident'.
    The banana was bred by humans quite purposefully. It was no accident. I find it amusing that you didn't know that.
    Humans came about via evolution.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 May '16 18:26

'The important fallacy of the argument is that it ignores the fact that the banana has been intelligently designed — by humans, through artificial selection. This is incredibly common for most, if not all, fruits, vegetables, and even animals that we use for food or to improve their utility to us in terms of ease of cultivation or taste. The banana was first domesticated around 8,000-9,000 years ago, somewhere in South and/or Southeast Asia, probably in today's Papua New Guinea.

There is nothing natural about the banana as we know it today. The banana in the form that Comfort uses to illustrate his point is quite different from its wild predecessors — specifically, it's a seedless triploid, an asexual clone bred through banana-tree "pups" - manually-cut side-shoots of the parent corm, including a stem and some roots. It is only through human cultivation that it has managed to survive this long despite a complete lack of natural, sexual propagation.'

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Banana_argument
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 May '16 18:26
    You could have just Googled it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musa_acuminata
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musa_balbisiana

[b]I find it amusing that you deny that the banana happened by accident yet you will probably claim that the human who supposedly made the banana, came about by accident.

That depends on how you define 'accident'.
    The ban ...[text shortened]... was no accident. I find it amusing that you didn't know that.
    Humans came about via evolution.[/b]
    And life came about by the input of water, energy in sunlight and lightning in maybe mud pits or some such where prebiotic molecules got jostled by energy into combining into more and more complex molecules till they started to be complex enough to self reproduce.

And that was not random like creationists like to tout.

Carbon has more combinational possibilities than the rest of the periodic table combined.

So it is no great surprise carbon is intimately involved with any life form.

If there was no carbon life would have to have been based on nearby (in the periodic table) to molecules of silicon or some such, much less possibility for life forming molecules.

We owe our existence not to a god, but to carbon.

Of course you can take the view that god created that carbon. Fine, Just keep it at that and everyone is happy.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 May '16 19:00
    I found this rather interesting, what are your thoughts? http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/atheist.html

Billions of years ago, a big bang produced a large rock. As the rock cooled, sweet brown liquid formed on its surface. As time passed, aluminum formed itself into a can, a lid, and a tab. Millions of years later, red and white paint fell from the sky, ...[text shortened]... pened by accident is even more unintelligent than to say that no one designed the Coca Cola can.
    Dude, the design argument was covered several semesters ago.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/design/#H3

The relatively sweet banana that we eat is one of a number of bananas/plantains. Read up on the sweet banana (Cavendish) and you will find that it did not exist as a commercial product before 1836 when it was cultivated by a gardener. It did not become mass produced until the 1950s when a previously popular variety succumbed to a fungus. The current cultivar is under threat from a different fungus.

It is hard to ascribe much intelligence to such a state of affairs.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 May '16 20:00
    Originally posted by JS357
    Dude, the design argument was covered several semesters ago.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/design/#H3

The relatively sweet banana that we eat is one of a number of bananas/plantains. Read up on the sweet banana (Cavendish) and you will find that it did not exist as a commercial product before 1836 when it was cultivated by a gardener. It did not become mass pro ...[text shortened]... from a different fungus.

It is hard to ascribe much intelligence to such a state of affairs.
    Have been keeping a secret score and currently it is:

Fetchmyjunk 0 - Atheists 9
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    11 May '16 20:06
    Not 'invented'. Bred.
    Coca Cola cans were not invented either. They came into existence by a combination of materials that already exist.

Are you are a combination of materials that already exist?
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    11 May '16 20:08
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Have been keeping a secret score and currently it is:

Fetchmyjunk 0 - Atheists 9
    Does that number include the atheist score keeper?
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 May '16 20:14
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Does that number include the atheist score keeper?
    No. Atheists are by nature extremely objective.

😏
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 May '16 20:151 edit
    Has a tab for removal of wrapper
    Actually, no.

Chimpanzees who eat bananas in the wild open a banana by pinching the bottom end until the skin splits.

It's a superior method than struggling with the 'tab' at the top. Try it yourself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree