1. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    04 Jun '10 20:35
    He loved his team: posters on his bedroom walls which, in turn, were painted according to the exact color of the team's colors--- the first wall the darker of the two colors, the second the lighter, third like the first and fourth as the second.

    He was a season ticket holder since an early age, who thought nothing of skipping school if it conflicted with game day. As he grew older and found a job, before the season began he would plan his requests for days off around the team's home games, saving his vacations for the ever-hoped-for playoffs. He knew stats going back to before the team's expansion, could tell anyone who asked who started, who played, who excelled and who should have been traded when they had a chance... and why.

    He had a group of friends who would start and end every season's home game by lining up in order, chests bared and torsos painted (like his walls) in the team's color scheme, spelling out the mascot--- screaming their support until their voices became hoarse and bloodied. He supported them by purchasing the memorabilia--- trinkets, really--- justifying his expense by thinking he was underwriting their efforts. He thought nothing of throwing down to protect the honor of this team: you didn't have to like them as fervently as did he, but you didn't want to denigrate them in his presence, no matter how obvious their failures.

    Between games or in the off-season, he spent his free time hanging out with like-minded fans, not so much to drink as to revel in the camaraderie, examining and considering all aspects of the team's results and prospects. Until...

    Something changed for him. At first, it was a general weariness over covering the same, old ground. It later developed into nonchalance toward the team and degraded from there. He found himself disassociating himself from his fellow fans for the slimmest of reasons, often making one up when he didn't have a real excuse. He painted over his walls, threw away all of the trinkets (told himself donating them would only allow someone else to become beguiled) and stopped even watching the sport altogether.

    Eventually, he found himself drawn back to those places frequented by his former friends. Unperturbed with the knowledge that only fans of his former team frequented the place, he entrenched himself with one single mindset: they will change their mind about their team, so help me God.
  2. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    04 Jun '10 20:421 edit
    Very well written. The last sentence doesn't really make sense though. I suspect you are equating atheists with people who stop being fans of the sport. Or, maybe you're foreshadowing something to come in later writing.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    05 Jun '10 01:53
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    He loved his team: posters on his bedroom walls which, in turn, were painted according to the exact color of the team's colors--- the first wall the darker of the two colors, the second the lighter, third like the first and fourth as the second.

    He was a season ticket holder since an early age, who thought nothing of skipping school if it conflicted wit ...[text shortened]... with one single mindset: they will change their mind about their team, so help me God.
    I was never a fan and never had any close friends who were.
  4. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    05 Jun '10 14:56
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Very well written. The last sentence doesn't really make sense though. I suspect you are equating atheists with people who stop being fans of the sport. Or, maybe you're foreshadowing something to come in later writing.
    Funny. No revelations from me, sorry.
  5. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    05 Jun '10 14:56
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I was never a fan and never had any close friends who were.
    I guess the story doesn't apply to you directly, then, huh.
  6. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Joined
    11 Dec '09
    Moves
    14434
    05 Jun '10 15:47
    Can we get an explanation to the connection with spirituality?
    I don't get it... reminds me of me when I was leaving christianity?
  7. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    05 Jun '10 17:07
    Originally posted by ua41
    Can we get an explanation to the connection with spirituality?
    I don't get it... reminds me of me when I was leaving christianity?
    Sounds like I hit at least one target.
  8. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    05 Jun '10 18:09
    He's saying those who leave Christianity are naturally obsessed by it and often turn to trying to destroy it in a "sour grapes" sort of way. Because, of course, Christianity is correct, and therefore people who deny it will be obsessed with it anyway.

    Or, more interestingly, it highlights the cultural aspect of Christianity, and how many Christians aren't really Christian at all, but rather posers who wants to be part of the club for social reasons.
  9. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    05 Jun '10 19:02
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    He's saying those who leave Christianity are naturally obsessed by it and often turn to trying to destroy it in a "sour grapes" sort of way. Because, of course, Christianity is correct, and therefore people who deny it will be obsessed with it anyway.

    Or, more interestingly, it highlights the cultural aspect of Christianity, and how many Christian ...[text shortened]... lly Christian at all, but rather posers who wants to be part of the club for social reasons.
    You gotta admit it's a smite curious: you don't see this forum overwhelmingly frequented by ex-Buddhists (for example) grinding axes against, well, whatever an ex-Buddhist would be pissed off about!
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    05 Jun '10 23:31
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You gotta admit it's a smite curious: you don't see this forum overwhelmingly frequented by ex-Buddhists (for example) grinding axes against, well, whatever an ex-Buddhist would be pissed off about!
    Bad example, to have become a bhuddist in the first place would have taken a certain kind of person, and hence........ aww heck! I bet u know what I'm going to say anyway.
    Counter away!!
  11. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    05 Jun '10 23:48
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Bad example, to have become a bhuddist in the first place would have taken a certain kind of person, and hence........ aww heck! I bet u know what I'm going to say anyway.
    Counter away!!
    I'm no prophet. Play your hand, by all means.
Back to Top