1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 19:49
    Originally posted by josephw
    Who cares what hundreds of millions of anyone espouse? The so called "grotesque ideology", as you describe it and label Christians with, is your own opinion of what is taught by scripture.
    This "grotesque ideology" is explicitly "taught" by several of the Christians who regularly post here.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 19:51
    I can think of a worse fate than that. Being tortured for eternity in burning agony is the least of it.
    What "worse fate" has man conceived of than being tortured for eternity in burning agony?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 19:54
    Nonsense.
    Your belief system nicely summarised.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 20:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    What "worse fate" has man conceived of than being tortured for eternity in burning agony?
    CRUCIFIXION

We moderns still recoil with horror when we hear of Christ's crucifixion. But what did the ancients think of crucifixion? They considered it to be the most shameful, the most painful, and the most abhorrent of all executions. The Roman statesman Cicero called it "the most cruel and disgusting penalty" (Verrem 2:5.165) and "the most extreme penalty" (Verrem 2:5.168). The Jewish historian Josephus, who certainly witnessed enough crucifixions himself, called it "the most wretched of deaths." The Roman jurist Julius Paulus listed crucifixion in first place as the worst of all capital punishments, listing it ahead of death by burning, death by beheading, or death by the wild beasts. And from Seneca we have this quotation, which is one of the most unique descriptions of a crucifixion in non-Biblical literature:

Can anyone be found who would prefer wasting away in pain dying limb by limb, or letting out his life drop by drop, rather than expiring once for all? Can any man by found willing to be fastened to the accursed tree, long sickly, already deformed, swelling with ugly wounds on shoulders and chest, and drawing the breath of life amid long drawn-out agony? He would have many excuses for dying even before mounting the cross (Dialogue 3:2.2).
    The ancients considered death by crucifixion to be not just any execution, but the most obscene, the most disgraceful, the most horrific execution known to man.

http://www.orlutheran.com/html/crucify.html
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 20:45
    FMF: What "worse fate" has man conceived of than being tortured for eternity in burning agony?

Originally posted by RJHinds
    CRUCIFIXION
    One can only presume that you have your tongue in cheek.
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 20:541 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    CRUCIFIXION

We moderns still recoil with horror when we hear of Christ's crucifixion. [b]But what did the ancients think of crucifixion? They considered it to be the most shameful, the most painful, and the most abhorrent of all executions. The Roman statesman Cicero called it "the most cruel and disgusting penalty" (Verrem 2:5.165) and "the most ...[text shortened]... ost horrific execution known to man.

http://www.orlutheran.com/html/crucify.html[/b]
    Even if the crucifixion is the considered to be the worst form of execution devised by man the question that was actually asked of you was:
    "What "worse fate" has man conceived of than being tortured for eternity in burning agony?"

We could equally well substitute crucifying for burning in the above to get an infinity of crucifixions. The point here is that the crucifixion is a one-shot deal - which for all the suffering experienced by the participant, is finite. Suffering in hell on the other hand is infinite.

The god you believe in has set up a system where agonising pain is meted out, infinitely often to those who have committed finitely many "crimes", each of finite extent. This is not a measured response to any form of transgression.

Your god is abhorrent.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 23:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    How strange your ministry as a Christian here is. You will confront people who have different beliefs from you ~ non-Christians ~ about what your fellow Christians explicitly claim in the name of your God and religion, but you won't confront those Christians themselves.
    I've confronted Christians, but it is not something I do as a rule. They get
    confronted by the godless all the time. My main concern is not be right on
    every topic, but be right with Jesus Christ, and if they are that, the rest
    will work itself out.
    Kelly
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 23:341 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I've confronted Christians, but it is not something I do as a rule. They get
    confronted by the godless all the time. My main concern is not be right on
    every topic, but be right with Jesus Christ, and if they are that, the rest
    will work itself out.
    Kelly
    It's odd how you talk to ME about how you don't agree with the ideology of other Christians and not to them. Then again, your ideology is much of a muchness with theirs; the product of the human imagination at its most depraved. 😉
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Sep '14 10:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    This "grotesque ideology" is explicitly "taught" by several of the Christians who regularly post here.
    "Grotesque ideology" is your term.

What Christians "teach" is what the Word of God says, and given the nature of matters spiritual, it's no wonder there are differing views. There are many "religions" to choose from, and each has its own take on such things as heaven and hell.

Your objectivity is one sided. You know the scriptures teach that there is a lake of fire were all those who's names are not written in the book of life are "cast" into. But you take the cop out that since you don't recognize the Bible as being the Word of God, you feel free to impugn the faith of those who trust and believe God's Word.

Probably angers you because you lost the faith. Maybe that's why you do it.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Sep '14 10:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's only your opinion that man conceived of the lake of fire. God created the lake of fire. Man didn't. You obviously don't believe there is a lake of fire.

To your way of thinking, maybe there is a God, but if there is a God He went away without a single word of explanation. Just left us here to fend for ourselves.

But if the Word of God is true, and there really is a lake of fire burning with brimstone, I'm of the opinion that incineration is instantaneous, that is if the bodies of those raised from their graves to stand before God to be judged for their sins is like the bodies we have now!

And if their souls continue to exist they will be in the lake suffering something far worse than burning.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 02:38
    But if the Word of God is true, and there really is a lake of fire burning with brimstone, .
    Why would your god choose brimstone?
    Why not the searing heat of a sun?
    A permanent super nova?
    A lake of plasma?

Why? - Because the men who wrote the bible only new of volcanoes, that's why!
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 03:33
    Probably angers you because you lost the faith. Maybe that's why you do it.
    I am not angry. You've got the wrong end of the stick.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 03:34
    "Grotesque ideology" is your term.
    Yes. I used it in my post. I write my own stuff. All you and I are doing here on this discussion forum is trading opinions.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 03:40
    Your objectivity is one sided. You know the scriptures teach that there is a lake of fire were all those who's names are not written in the book of life are "cast" into. But you take the cop out that since you don't recognize the Bible as being the Word of God, you feel free to impugn the faith of those who trust and believe God's Word.
    If I believe that it is a man made ideology and that it is the darkest one ever conceived of by mankind, then what opinion am I supposed to express? You seem to object to the fact that my views are those of non-Christian. What else am I supposed to do but impugn the ideology and the wretched imaginations that created it, when the eternal torture issue comes up, if it is indeed in my view grotesque? It's because I see the ideology as man made that I make the comments I do. It is not a "cop out" in any shape or form.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 03:54
    And if their souls continue to exist they will be in the lake suffering something far worse than burning.
    This is the grotesque ideology I am referring to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree