The first years of the Spirituality Forum

The first years of the Spirituality Forum

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Feb 22

@divegeester said
It’s amusing to watch you squirm in your miasma of dishonesty while claiming to love Jesus.

You claim to remember dozens and dozens of minute details about something which happened here 4 years ago, and yet you also claim, you lie actually, that you cannot remember the username which you had at that time.

Lovely lovely lies Skippy.
And by the way, earlier today (actually yesterday now) I actually did remember the username I had back in 2018.

Über-Nerd

Moves
09 Feb 22

@divegeester said
By the same rationale, hell does not exist either.
By the same illogic, falsehood does not exist either; it's just the lack of truth.

Über-Nerd

Moves
09 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
I posted in another thread about watching I Dream of Jeannie and the Brady Bunch.
Well, that explains rather a lot.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Feb 22

@moonbus said
Well, that explains rather a lot.
I was talking about when I was a kid, Einstein.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
And by the way, earlier today (actually yesterday now) I actually did remember the username I had back in 2018.
Romans1009?

IP

Moves
09 Feb 22

@kevin-eleven said
I know that in some circles there is some interest in what the first gatherings of Christianity were like, and I guess I am idly wondering what the first year or two of the Christianity -- SORRY -- Spirituality Forum were like.
I don't know, I wasn't here, but look at it now. There doesn't seem to me to be anything particularly spiritual about it, it largely seems to be Christians having a go at other Christians for being the wrong kind of Christians, often in quite unpleasant ways. Certainly they don't seem to be a very happy bunch, despite apparently having a direct line to their god and a guaranteed ticket for the bus headed for eternal bliss. If there was ever a good reason not to become a Christian, one need look no further than these pages.

Über-Nerd

Moves
09 Feb 22
1 edit

@Indonesia-Phil

TU from me, Phil.

I have generally found that there are two sorts of Christians. Those who walk the walk -- they do volunteer work in soup kitchens to help the poor, or they come out with free water and pizza for people standing line to vote, or some such thing, and they don't crow about it, they just do it.

And, on the other hand, there are those who talk the talk, quoting miles and miles of Scripture.

There are the same sort of non-Christians, too. There are non-Christians who do volunteer work and don't crow about it. It has not been my experience that the Christians who walk the walk are any better humans than the non-Christians; they aren't generally more honest or more forgiving or more loving or more lovable or more generous with their time and money.

But the ones who talk the talk are definitely more obnoxious than any atheists, agnostics, apostates, Buddhists, or Hari Krishnas I've ever come across.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
09 Feb 22

@moonbus said
@Indonesia-Phil

TU from me, Phil.

I have generally found that there are two sorts of Christians. Those who walk the walk -- they do volunteer work in soup kitchens to help the poor, or they come out with free water and pizza for people standing line to vote, or some such thing, and they don't crow about it, they just do it.

And, on the other hand, there are those w ...[text shortened]... bnoxious than any atheists, agnostics, apostates, Buddhists, or Hari Krishnas I've ever come across.
Jesus called one group sheep, and the other, goats.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Feb 22

@moonbus said
@Indonesia-Phil

TU from me, Phil.

And, on the other hand, there are those w ...[text shortened]... bnoxious than any atheists, agnostics, apostates, Buddhists, or Hari Krishnas I've ever come across.
Do you believe God helps people while they’re on earth?

Do you believe He helps people through hardships and tragedies and sicknesses and all the problems of this world?

Do you believe the first verse from Psalm 46 is true?

Lastly, do you think it’s possible to both “walk the talk” *and* preach the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Why do you assume it’s one or the other and can’t be both?

I find that people who “talk the talk” (in addition to walking the walk) are genuinely concerned about people being saved and realizing what a tremendous resource and friend God can be for them *while they are on earth.*

Über-Nerd

Moves
09 Feb 22
2 edits

@PB1022
Do you believe God helps people while they’re on earth? No.

Do you believe He helps people through hardships and tragedies and sicknesses and all the problems of this world? No.

Do you believe the first verse from Psalm 46 ("God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble." ) is true?
No.

What I believe about the three points above is that belief in God does all those things, supports people and sustains communities in times of crisis and gives them a sense of purpose and comfort. They project this sense of purpose, of strength and comfort, onto an imaginary Being on another plane and dissociate it from their own inner strength.

Lastly, do you think it’s possible to both “walk the talk” [sic] *and* preach the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Why do you assume it’s one or the other and can’t be both? Both/and is possible, yes, but seldom seen in practise.

I find that people who “talk the talk” (in addition to walking the walk) are genuinely concerned about people being saved and realizing what a tremendous resource and friend God can be for them *while they are on earth.* Yes, people are genuinely concerned, and becoming embedded in a community of like-minded people, bound by a belief-system, is indeed a tremendous source of strength and comfort. It's something like an ersatz-family for people who have grown out of their biological families. I have known non-Christians who have no less a quality of strength and purpose in their lives, which sustains them in times of trouble.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Feb 22

@moonbus said
@PB1022
Do you believe God helps people while they’re on earth? No.

Do you believe He helps people through hardships and tragedies and sicknesses and all the problems of this world? No.

an ever-present help in trouble." ) is true?
No.

What I believe about the t ...[text shortened]... e no less a quality of strength and purpose in their lives, which sustains them in times of trouble.
<<Do you believe God helps people while they’re on earth? No.

an ever-present help in trouble." ) is true? No.

What I believe about the three points above is that belief in God does all those things, supports people and sustains communities in times of crisis and gives them a sense of purpose and comfort. They project this sense of purpose, of strength and comfort, onto an imaginary Being on another plane and dissociate it from their own inner strength.>>

You’re an atheist, then? If so, and it’s seems apparent you are, have you read the Holy Bible?

It’s interesting how atheists think they know all about God and Christianity.

And it’s also interesting, but entirely understandable, why atheists support rajk999. He’s completely removed God from his false doctrine. His false doctrine can be summarized - and has been summarized by him - as “Do good works. Jesus will judge.”

Jesus Christ is nowhere to be found in his false doctrine except in the afterlife, where He, according to rajk999’s false doctrine, sends people to Heaven or hell.

rajk999’s false doctrine is nonsense and not supported by the Holy Bible.

<<b]Lastly, do you think it’s possible to both “walk the talk” [sic] *and* preach the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Why do you assume it’s one or the other and can’t be both? [/b] Both/and is possible, yes, but seldom seen in practise.>>

How would you know? Are you with Christians who “talk the talk” 24/7? Do you know everything about their lives and what they do with their money?

<<I find that people who “talk the talk” (in addition to walking the walk) are genuinely concerned about people being saved and realizing what a tremendous resource and friend God can be for them *while they are on earth.* Yes, people are genuinely concerned, and becoming embedded in a community of like-minded people, bound by a belief-system, is indeed a tremendous source of strength and comfort. It's something like an ersatz-family for people who have grown out of their biological families.>>

Well obviously you think this because you don’t believe God exists. Christians who believe in God and have called upon Him for help know His power, love and mercy.

<<I have known non-Christians who have no less a quality of strength and purpose in their lives, which sustains them in times of trouble.>>

Ok.

Über-Nerd

Moves
09 Feb 22

@PB1022

There is no reason to think that Christians have a monopoly on truth.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Feb 22

@moonbus said
@PB1022

There is no reason to think that Christians have a monopoly on truth.
Well obviously we disagree about that.

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

(John 14:6)

If people want to believe the teachings of Jesus Christ, that’s great.

But I don’t think it can be done cafeteria style - believe some things He said and not others. If you think He was lying about being one with God the Father and coming from Heaven and all the other supernatural statements He made - and He made plenty of them - why would you believe He has any credibility saying anything else?

Someone once said people have three options when it comes to Jesus Christ - they can believe He was crazy, a liar or the Son of God. Believing He’s a good teacher isn’t one of the options.

Stripping all the supernatural claims Jesus made about Himself is not presenting a true picture of who He was and is - regardless of whether you believe those supernatural statements.

And I think the foundational belief of Christianity - that Jesus Christ was/is God in the flesh - is well supported through Messianic prophecies in the Old Testament and the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (among other reasons) in the New Testament.

I realize atheists disagree, but I think evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ is quite compelling if viewed with an open mind. Some of the evidence is in an article on the Internet called “15 Logical Reasons to Believe the Resurrection.”

F

Moves
10 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
Someone once said people have three options when it comes to Jesus Christ - they can believe He was crazy, a liar or the Son of God. Believing He’s a good teacher isn’t one of the options.
It sounds like "someone" ought not to have restricted the choice to three options then. It's a clumsy false "trilemma" logical fallacy. This "someone" was a propagandist, clearly.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
10 Feb 22

@fmf said
It sounds like "someone" ought not to have restricted the choice to three options then. It's a clumsy false "trilemma" logical fallacy. This "someone" was a propagandist, clearly.
That one really made me laugh. Someone said there are 3 options .... therefore there is no other option .. lol 😀