1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 15:051 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Or is it rather a case of prophets only become great when they have the right message? Or that the message is interpreted to be the essentially the same? Or that living a life of humility, love, compassion, justice, etc is what we all believe to be the ideal and look to prophets to tell us about but often do not actually act on ourselves?

You are also rather contradicting what many Christians claim about Jesus' message being a new one.
    You say we all believe living a life of humility, love, compassion, justice, etc. to be the ideal. What do you think stops people from living that ideal?

From what I can tell, Jesus' message was new for it's time and place.
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 15:15
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    You say we all believe living a life of humility, love, compassion, justice, etc. to be the ideal. What do you think stops people from living that ideal?

From what I can tell, Jesus' message was new for it's time and place.
    Wrong.
    So said Zarathustra (not the Nietzsche one).
    All of this loving, peace, justice, blabla, it all comes from men's desires since the beginning of times. The need to justify and impose them as a rule allied to the need of explanation of the world and afterlife originated these kind of religions. Some smart speaker (prophet) professed the ideals, and you got crowds following him, exaggerating it's sayings, elevating him to God or a related member to verify with the Holy(TM) stamp their beliefs.
    It all started with Zoroastrianism, not Christianity.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 15:30
    Originally posted by serigado
    Wrong.
    So said Zarathustra (not the Nietzsche one).
    All of this loving, peace, justice, blabla, it all comes from men's desires since the beginning of times. The need to justify and impose them as a rule allied to the need of explanation of the world and afterlife originated these kind of religions. Some smart speaker (prophet) professed the ideals, and y ...[text shortened]... with the Holy(TM) stamp their beliefs.
    It all started with Zoroastrianism, not Christianity.
    It seems to me that Jesus was of a different time and place than Zarathustra . Perhaps you'd be more comfortable with "culture"?
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 16:371 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    It seems to me that Jesus was of a different time and place than Zarathustra . Perhaps you'd be more comfortable with "culture"?
    Being from a different time it's the point. The philosophy was there a long time before Christ.
    The guy was from Persia, I wouldn't say it was very far.
    Only to say Jesus' philosophy was not something completely original.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 16:441 edit
    Originally posted by serigado
    Being from a different time it's the point. The philosophy was there a long time before Christ.
    The guy was from Persia, I wouldn't say it was very far.
    Only to say Jesus' philosophy was not something completely original.
    I never claimed it was. Just that, from what I could tell, it was "new" to the "culture" in which it was delivered.
  6. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 17:10
    Religion can easily be explained by spending about an hour and a half watching the Life of Brian.

That should solve this mystical mystery that is religion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree