1. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 10:141 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    i have to admit it sounds like the kind of funeral i would like to attend.....but why did you choose that? is it to entertain those attending? is it vanity? what is the point? why not let each person say goodbye how they want? is it cathartic for eveybody to get together? or is that just an added pressure for those who are most upset?

what does your lot do robbie?
    I was only jesting of course about the Jazz band and longboat , our 'lot' as you so eloquently put it have a very simple service at the Kingdom Hall or the crematorium in which the person is eulogized to an extent and condolences offered to the family individually afterwards, there is usually some kind of refreshment, but its not like some funerals i have attended where everyone dulls the pain with alcohol. The main difference that I have noted is that with other funerals there is an absolute sense of finality, with us its a little different because while there is loss and the sadness that this evokes, to us the person is sleeping and will awaken in the resurrection. One of the most interesting I attended was a Catholic funeral. A young friend who died of a drug overdose in his twenties, they had a wake and darkened the windows with black cloth and the ceremony itself was for want of a better word, 'ceremonial'. In Pakistan the entire street is invited for a meal, they essentially hire a dude with two giant cauldrons, one with curry and one with rice and the whole street comes and sits down to eat together to remember the lost loved one.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 11:11
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I was only jesting of course about the Jazz band and longboat , our 'lot' as you so eloquently put it have a very simple service at the Kingdom Hall or the crematorium in which the person is eulogized to an extent and condolences offered to the family individually afterwards, there is usually some kind of refreshment, but its not like some funerals i ...[text shortened]... th rice and the whole street comes and sits down to eat together to remember the lost loved one.
    In this part of the world funerals are a village affair. Lots of eating drinking and partying. Everybody provides supplies like drinks and food and assist with the preparations of organising and cooking. The more popular the person was the bigger and longer [several days] the celebration.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 11:28
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I have... and yes, funerals are for the living.

Of course, the deceased's wishes should be followed, but the main function seems to be the consolation and comfort of those left behind. If this is achieved through observance of ritual, then so be it.
    I agree; I think my comment may have been misinterpreted.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 11:36
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    In this part of the world funerals are a village affair. Lots of eating drinking and partying. Everybody provides supplies like drinks and food and assist with the preparations of organising and cooking. The more popular the person was the bigger and longer [several days] the celebration.
    Several days, interesting, lashings of Jamaican dark rum? Is there musicians playing ?
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 11:52
    Several days, interesting, lashings of Jamaican dark rum? Is there musicians playing ?
    A few years ago yes, live music but that has given way to modern hip hop and local calypso music off CDs etc. Jamaican rum, nah we drink the local Trinidad rum and beer. Next is Scotch whisky which many locals prefer.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 12:46
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    A few years ago yes, live music but that has given way to modern hip hop and local calypso music off CDs etc. Jamaican rum, nah we drink the local Trinidad rum and beer. Next is Scotch whisky which many locals prefer.
    I suspect its just as good, Trinidad rum. I need to be in the mood for whisky and it needs to be a single malt, no blended jive.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 13:46
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    No you moron.

I was talking about the fact that theists DO regularly hold religious funerals for atheists.

Often times against their express wishes.

It's usually the family that does it, and not morons crossing the Atlantic specially for the occasion.

But it still does happen all too frequently.
    Why would any atheist give a rat's ass whether or not their death was used in any way contrary to their beliefs? They're dead, remember? They have passed onto nothingness and soon all they left behind will follow. It doesn't matter one way or another if/how their funerals are conducted, according to their claims.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 19:29
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Why would any atheist give a rat's ass whether or not their death was used in any way contrary to their beliefs? They're dead, remember? They have passed onto nothingness and soon all they left behind will follow. It doesn't matter one way or another if/how their funerals are conducted, according to their claims.
    Most people, theist or not, care about their funeral arrangements.
    Do you deny that?

My instructions are cardboard box and tree on top. No flowers. RSVP
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 20:14
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Most people, theist or not, care about their funeral arrangements.
    Do you deny that?

My instructions are cardboard box and tree on top. No flowers. RSVP
    Mine's pine box.
    But I'm sure some well-meaning soul will take the opportunity to give the salvation message.
    I'm okay with it: I'm dead.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 20:31
    off to my first non religious funeral tomorrow. not really sure what to expect, but from the basic info we've had it sounds way better than the usual catholic nonsense ive been to in the past.

leave your sympathy or commiserations at the door. im not here to talk about the personal aspect. lets talk funerals.

whats the best way to go? i personall ...[text shortened]... off, as it may help them deal with things better?

basically any thoughts on funerals welcome.
    I wish some one would just burn my corpse or whatever. I dont want a funeral , but my family will prolly give me one... at their expense, Haha! Suckers!

I mean lets respect everyones dying wishes for their funeral, and do it the way they want. However if they dont want one, well for some reason that's different.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 21:44
    well i have to say my opinion of funerals has changed. it was quite a beautiful affair. tragically sad and hilariously funny in equal measures.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 21:592 edits
    I would like any funeral of me not to be over burdensome financially to surviving loved ones.

I would like any attendents to enjoy the Lord Jesus and the word of God there who are believers in Christ. Unbelievers in Christ I only hope will know that in Jesus I lived the best life that it was possible for me to have had. I am extremely thankful to God.

I would like all to only have the benefit of contemplating the necessity of taking advantage of the time one has while living. We should live each day wisely for none of us know which will be our last.

Maybe a few of my favorite songs or hymns or verses could be enjoyed. It should be a victory celebration and not a sorrowful matter.

I have been to a number of funerals or buryings of Christians which were joyous victory celebrations in the midst of loss.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 23:56
    off to my first non religious funeral tomorrow. not really sure what to expect, but from the basic info we've had it sounds way better than the usual catholic nonsense ive been to in the past.

leave your sympathy or commiserations at the door. im not here to talk about the personal aspect. lets talk funerals.

whats the best way to go? i personall ...[text shortened]... off, as it may help them deal with things better?

basically any thoughts on funerals welcome.
    It's the one place where you meet everyone that mattered in that person's life. I think the main point is just to share stories of the deceased and remember the best side of them from then on.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Dec '13 09:41
    I suspect its just as good, Trinidad rum. I need to be in the mood for whisky and it needs to be a single malt, no blended jive.
    The blended stuff is what is popular is these parts. Dont know why, maybe its cheaper. I have a few bottles of single malts which a friend brought - Jura and Bushmills, and the taste is superior to the popular Scotches around here.

Guyanese rum is also good. If you ever have the opportunity have a taste of El Dorado 15yr old. Puerto Rico produces a nice one as well - Captain Morgan Private Stock. Barcadi is not really up to standard and is just for mixing drinks.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Dec '13 23:22
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Perhaps you've never lost someone you dearly loved.
    its a strange way to word the question. it implies that ive lost people who i thought i loved but was mistaken about my love for them. are my feelings regarding funerals just a simple lack of never loosing a person i loved. is it that simple? i was more emotional at the funeral ive just been to, a person who i didnt love, than at the funerals of my grandparents who i did love. or do you think i never really 'dearly' loved my grandparents?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree