1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '12 10:161 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Absolute nonsense. I have far more self discipline than most people I know, and certainly more than the average Christian. Or are you going to redefine 'self discipline' and also claim that all those undisciplined Christians are not 'True Christians®'?
    I don't clalim that those who call themselves Christian have discpline, nor am I saying that those who are not do not have discipline. I think I made myself clear on this earlier. My only claim is that serving equals freedom/power. In my own walk with Christ, I've experienced this. I have also tried to be disciplined on my own power, and failed, but then tried to submit to Christ and succeeded.

Of course, my perspective is different from your own, but I think the principle is easy enough to see as having truth in it.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Aug '12 10:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    I don't clalim that those who call themselves Christian have discpline,
    My sincerest apologies. I misread that sentence and thought you said "You need to be a Christian to have self discipline."
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Aug '12 10:23
    In all that you do, ask whom you are serving?
    Now answer the questions.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '12 10:411 edit
    As for drugs, you open yourself up to dependence to them as they drain your wealth and your life away etc etc.
    Do you think consuming drugs is OK if one doesn't open oneself up to dependence on them, doesn't harm, deceive or coerce anyone, and if one doesn't commit any crimes against society as a result of consuming them e.g. driving under the influence, or stealing money to pay for them etc.?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '12 10:44
    For example, having sex with whoever you like will more than likely end up with you being alone, because no one likes to be cheated on. Also you may come up with a life threatening STD or be strapped with paying for a child that you don't want etc.
    Is having sex with someone one chooses OK if one isn't deceiving anyone or breaking any promises, and one is not spreading a venereal disease, and not creating an 'unwanted child'?
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '12 12:32
    Whodey, you don't have to answer any questions. The point was a good point. It doesn't matter if a Christian clergyman made it or an agnostic made it. The point as it stands alone is a good point.

Some posters will try to pull you into a tangled argument because that is what they do. They question everything to locate things to dispute.

The advice that was recommended I have often given to young students without any thought of sprituality (though that would not be wrong). I told them from my own experience, if they were too loose with their studies in high school they would latter find their opportunities more restricted.

If they were more focused and disciplined in high school they would find latter in life there would be more opportunities to choose from rather than less.

It was a good word. Don't feel that you have to defend it to the nth degree from those who hunt for imperfections in reasoning.

That would be my take. Good post.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '12 13:00
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Whodey, you don't have to answer any questions. The point was a good point.
    The religionist mindset in a nutshell.

What harm can come to a 'good point', jaywill, if its proponent answers questions about it?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Aug '12 13:251 edit
    It doesn't matter if a Christian clergyman made it or an agnostic made it.
    But atheists can't? Actually, I think I could have made the point much better (and more honestly and accurately). (where 'the point' is that recklessness can lead to curtailed freedom.)

But it turns out that whodey didn't really want to make that point. He wanted to make some totally different claims, and hide them under a point that we probably all agree on. Then he can say 'look we agree about the main point, therefore you agree to all the other things I hid in there'.

He is also probably trying the 'delayed reward' preaching tactic that most religions rely on. ie he promises future rewards to converts whilst simultaneously actually asking them to give up things - and never actually delivers on the promises.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Aug '12 13:52
    I heard a pastor make an interesting comparison between freedom and a funnel. Basically, the small end of the funnel symbolized a lack of personal freedom and the wide top of the funnel symbolized enhanced personal freedom.

So if you begin your journey doing as you please like having sex with whoever you desire, doing drugs because it feels good, dropping ...[text shortened]... lease and pleasure yourself, your personal freedom expands as the funnel is turned on its head.
    I'm for creating a more uniform funnel. Maybe more of a cylinder than a funnel. 🙂

Anything that brings us pleasure is prone to abuse. The key is to find balance. Enjoy, but don't abuse.

Yes, have sex with whoever you like, but do not break your commitments once you have made them. Use protection and birth control.

Smoke an occasional joint, but stay away from heroin.

Have a cold beer or mixer after a hard day's work, but don't become a drunk.

The trouble with starting out at the narrow end of the funnel is that it never really expands.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Aug '12 01:491 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I'm for creating a more uniform funnel. Maybe more of a cylinder than a funnel. 🙂

Anything that brings us pleasure is prone to abuse. The key is to find balance. Enjoy, but don't abuse.

Yes, have sex with whoever you like, but do not break your commitments once you have made them. Use protection and birth control.

Smoke an occasional joint, but e trouble with starting out at the narrow end of the funnel is that it never really expands.
    Gosh man... we dont have to make decisions for ourselves anymore after that post.

edit:I have to admit I got bored of just gong through and thumbing up and down in this thread, hence a written reply.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Aug '12 01:51
    Whodey, you don't have to answer any questions. The point was a good point. It doesn't matter if a Christian clergyman made it or an agnostic made it. The point as it stands alone is a good point.

Some posters will try to pull you into a tangled argument because that is what they do. They question everything to locate things to dispute.

The advice t ...[text shortened]... ree from those who hunt for imperfections in reasoning.

That would be my take. Good post.
    He shouldn't have made that post (at the top of this page) , it would've looked better that way for whodey (imo) 🙂
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Aug '12 01:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you think consuming drugs is OK if one doesn't open oneself up to dependence on them, doesn't harm, deceive or coerce anyone, and if one doesn't commit any crimes against society as a result of consuming them e.g. driving under the influence, or stealing money to pay for them etc.?
    The "Funnel" sees into all of our bedrooms and basements and exposes all that is not in accordance with gods will. So Beware!!
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 Aug '12 02:18
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    The "Funnel" sees into all of our bedrooms and basements and exposes all that is not in accordance with gods will. So Beware!!
    Some theists like to pick up the funnel and shout abuse and warnings of disaster down the narrow end if those sods dancing n laughing at the wide end dont stop it.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Aug '12 02:23
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Some theists like to pick up the funnel and shout abuse and warnings of disaster down the narrow end if those sods dancing n laughing at the wide end dont stop it.
    Lol 😀

Damn str8

There is a whole legion out there who will be left out of a job (preaching, bible teaching), who I will feel a tad sorry for ..:'(
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 Aug '12 02:40
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Lol 😀

Damn str8

There is a whole legion out there who will be left out of a job (preaching, bible teaching), who I will feel a tad sorry for ..:'(
    Chillax, they aint evah gonna stop, they are having to much fun, bless em 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree