1. Pepperland
    Moves
    10 Apr '10 16:05
    shouldn't they be included in the bible considering they could contribute to the entirety of the new testament?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Apr '10 22:01
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    shouldn't they be included in the bible considering they could contribute to the entirety of the new testament?
    I think they should. Gnosticism is one form of christianity that makes sense to me.
    (though I haven't read them in a while)
  3. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 02:16
    Yes, along with the 6th and 7th books of Moses and the book of Jasher.
  4. Joined
    14 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 08:37
    i read some where that they are mischievous and prone to error
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 11:07
    Well, no, they do not contribute to the entirety of the NT. Gnostic literature in fact denies many tenets of the NT. Docetist writings, for example, deny the corporeality of Jesus. Some texts also promote very unhealthy spirituality. I would not recommend The Apocryphal Acts of Paul and Thecla as canonical because its staunch insistence on total celibacy. Not even strict Catholics could accept that.
  6. Standard memberyo its meonline
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 11:34
    Aren't there enough books in the Bible already for you?!
  7. Pepperland
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 16:09
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Well, no, they do not contribute to the entirety of the NT. Gnostic literature in fact denies many tenets of the NT. Docetist writings, for example, deny the corporeality of Jesus. Some texts also promote very unhealthy spirituality. I would not recommend The Apocryphal Acts of Paul and Thecla as canonical because its staunch insistence on total celibacy. Not even strict Catholics could accept that.
    Yes, Im aware some of those writings are heretical, but surely some of them could be included, the gospel of thomas for example.
  8. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 16:52
    25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that would be written.

John 21:25

There I imagine our many other accounts.

Manny
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 03:11
    Yes, Im aware some of those writings are heretical, but surely some of them could be included, the gospel of thomas for example.
    So if you wrote a gospel would you like it included?
  10. Pepperland
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 16:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    So if you wrote a gospel would you like it included?
    what do you mean by this?

I didn't write any of the gnostic gospels.
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 16:41
    I've always been a bit baffled by this issue. We all know that the bible is a collection of translations of ancient writings and that at various times various individuals have selected what to include... right? Why all the reverence then?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 04:08
    what do you mean by this?

I didn't write any of the gnostic gospels.
    But you easily could do so. So if you were prone to do so, should it be included?
  13. Pepperland
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 16:33
    But you easily could do so. So if you were prone to do so, should it be included?
    You're not making much sense.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 18:42
    You're not making much sense.
    If you call yourself a "Christian", could you not then write your own gospel? If so, should it be included in the Bible?
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 16:49
    If you call yourself a "Christian", could you not then write your own gospel? If so, should it be included in the Bible?
    I dont believe my "gospel" should have the same importance as the gnostic gospels considering:

a- I wasn't around when Jesus did his stuff.
    b- My account wouldn't be based on anything.
    c- did I mention i wasn't around milennia ago?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree