1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 18:16
    Originally posted by chappy1
    Yeah, I only hope he was being ironic. You never know with this crowd.
    We'll cut you some slack since you've still been here less than 1 year.
  2. Gangster Land
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 18:21
    Originally posted by genius
    No, if christians really believed what they preached they would want to share it with as many people as possible. Why would they laugh at someone condemned to death when they could at least try and do something about it?

I think the main gripe of most christians who oppose the film is that it is a childrens film, and children are impressionable. Children s ...[text shortened]... t thought it was a kinda weird story that mentions God. I missed the whole anti-religion part.
    Uh-huh,,,and what of all the children's media that is biased *toward* religion? Do you have a similar problem with that?
  3. Standard membermdhall
    Mr Palomar
    A box
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 18:23
    Originally posted by chappy1
    It's common knowledge that Phillip Pullman is an atheist.
    What's your point?
    Since when did we start judging the sum of a persons works by their belief structure?
  4. Gangster Land
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 18:27
    Originally posted by mdhall
    What's your point?
    Since when did we start judging the sum of a persons works by their belief structure?
    Completely agree. Additionally, simply being labeled an 'atheist' says absolutley nothing about a persons belief structure, it simply implies the lack of belief in one particular myth.
  5. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 21:16
    Originally posted by genius
    No, if christians really believed what they preached they would want to share it with as many people as possible. Why would they laugh at someone condemned to death when they could at least try and do something about it?

I think the main gripe of most christians who oppose the film is that it is a childrens film, and children are impressionable. Children s ...[text shortened]... t thought it was a kinda weird story that mentions God. I missed the whole anti-religion part.
    It has been the Christian agenda to manipulate kids into believing their religion before they are capable of remembering their own phone number. How many babies have given express consent for their baptization?

And how are children being "fed" this movie? Unlike religious parents who force their kids to go to Sunday school a child has a choice whether to see a two hour or movie or not. You have to see the inconsistency of your argument!

The movie is a piece of art, it's doesn't have an agenda to convert people to atheism even if the author's philosophy is manifested in the plot.

Even if it was designed to brainwash kids into believing in atheism it would only be doing the exact same thing as religion, albeit in a much more enjoyable way.
  6. Joined
    16 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 21:46
    If they can try to sell a Christian-inspired fantasy like the Narnia books as an inoffensive, non-denominational kid's film, then they can sell secular-inspired fantasy like GC as an inoffensive non-denominational kid's film. The only reason to boycott Golden Compass is because its author professes a view that happens to conflict with your own. Which is a retarded reason to boycott anything.
  7. Meddling with things
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 09:341 edit
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I think Pullman has read a lot of Dawkins, it shows in his writing. Also Dawkins mentions 'His Dark Materials' in The God delusion which is obviously not going to put Pullman on any Church Christmas card lists... 😉
    The two meet regularly in Oxford and conspire. There are clandestine meetings in the Eagle pub in Oxford which is, of course, where Watson and Crick discovered DNA.

Thruly, there is a world-wide conspiracy
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Dec '07 20:50
    Well, I went and seen the film this evening.
    It was quite enjoyable.

It seems to me, though, that the "bad guys" in the film portrait any dictatorial regime, be it Sovietesque State capitalism, 1500's Catholicism or Saudi like Islam.

So, I don't really see why religious people are getting their knickers in a twist over it.
    Well... dust... who knows?
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Dec '07 21:29

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Dec '07 21:36
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Those bears...any hint of an Elijah?
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Dec '07 21:39
    I've not read the books no.
    But this film wasn't more witchy than say Potter or LOTR or Star Wars.

I do believe the whole dust-element might turn into something juicy though.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Dec '07 21:46
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    These books denigrate Christianity, trash the Catholic church, and sell the virtues of atheism

http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6498947.html

Well... if that doesn't draw crowds to the cinema begin December, I don't know what will!

What do you's all think? Are stories like Harry Potter or "His dark materials" reason for Christia ...[text shortened]... orried?
    Or is it long overdue... some kiddy films which question the premise of religion?
    The premise of religion is thinking one can do something to please God.

And that grates on the self willed because they think they are something special.
  13. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 08:35
    Is anyone going to comment on the Church of Scotland's viewpoint?

Anyone?

Someone?
  14. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 15:44
    I've read the books, and this is really an extrapolation with clever wording to make it seem like a direct attack. I could say "Asrael's war on valhalla" or "Lyra and Will as Romulus and Remus" and make it appear to be an attack on any myth I choose.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 20:22

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree