1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 Dec '07 19:37
    These books denigrate Christianity, trash the Catholic church, and sell the virtues of atheism

http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6498947.html

Well... if that doesn't draw crowds to the cinema begin December, I don't know what will!

What do you's all think? Are stories like Harry Potter or "His dark materials" reason for Christians to be worried?
    Or is it long overdue... some kiddy films which question the premise of religion?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Dec '07 20:08
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    These books denigrate Christianity, trash the Catholic church, and sell the virtues of atheism

Well... if that doesn't draw crowds to the cinema begin December, I don't know what will!

What do you's all think? Are stories like Harry Potter or "His dark materials" reason for Christia ...[text shortened]... orried?
    Or is it long overdue... some kiddy films which question the premise of religion?
    Its all about belief systems; how do you paint the universe all that is
    in it?
    Kelly
  3. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '07 21:10

What do you's all think? Are stories like Harry Potter or "His dark materials" reason for Christia ...[text shortened]... orried?
    Catholics should not be worried about movies...they should be worried that what is given Catholocism a bad name is priests having too much fun with the alter boys.

First the baptists burn Harry potter books...now the catholics are gonna end up burning this guys books.

Ok all you religious nutbags do you not see that you are now no better than Hitler??

Can't wait to hear replies that say "it's ok because it is against the bible...or it's in the name of god"

Book burning is wrong...simple as that.

Dave
  4. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    02 Dec '07 23:43
    Originally posted by nmdavidb
    Catholics should not be worried about movies...they should be worried that what is given Catholocism a bad name is priests having too much fun with the alter boys.

First the baptists burn Harry potter books...now the catholics are gonna end up burning this guys books.

Ok all you religious nutbags do you not see that you are now no better than Hitler?? ...[text shortened]... the bible...or it's in the name of god"

Book burning is wrong...simple as that.

Dave
    I agree that bookburning is wrong, but I also heard that the author himself admits/proclaims that his book series is anti-religion. That is why some group was mad that the movie was toned down to exclude or minimize some of that.
  5. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 08:41
    The Church if Scotland is advising people not to shy away from it - they say that people should go and see the film and discuss the questions it raises.

http://tinyurl.com/2a5p83

I am wondering, however, if the same people who complained that Narnia was "too christian" are the people complaining that this film is shying away from it's athiest message?
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 09:11

I heard the film are actually quite tame in regards to the books.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 10:20
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    I agree that bookburning is wrong, but I also heard that the author himself admits/proclaims that his book series is anti-religion. That is why some group was mad that the movie was toned down to exclude or minimize some of that.
    Not so, I've ssen an interview with Phillip Pullman where he states clearly that the books are not about getting rid of religion at all. As usual, this is either an act of publicity for a religious group, or just plain over-reaction from Catholic zealots. I doubt any of them have actually read the series.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 11:001 edit
    What do you's all think? Are stories like Harry Potter or "His dark materials" reason for Christians to be worried?
    I'll try and remember to let you know when I get to the end of book three. I just finished the second book yesterday. I'll probably also have seen the movie by then which I believe is based on book 1.
  9. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 13:08

I thoought the books were superb. So much deeper and more thoughtful than Harry Potter.

Heven't seen the movie. The books talk about religious machinations, the afterlife, alternate universes, dark matter, quantum mechanics and all sorts of stuff. Religion does not come out in a particularly good light but that is not the main thrust of the story (Harry Potter of course does not discuss religion at all).

What really annoyed me was that, although the story had to end as it did to have full impact, there was a huge loophole that all the characters had to miss in order for them to accept the ending.

Anyone care to discuss this? I can start a new thread with spoilers if necessary.

--- Penguin.
  10. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 22:51
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Not so, I've ssen an interview with Phillip Pullman where he states clearly that the books are not about getting rid of religion at all. As usual, this is either an act of publicity for a religious group, or just plain over-reaction from Catholic zealots. I doubt any of them have actually read the series.
    It was from this CNN article http://tinyurl.com/3bfakq which includes the quote Pullman himself has said, "I'm trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief.". I do have the book and intend to read it my self and form my own opinion, but at the time I considered CNN to be a reasonable source of information.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 03:21
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    It was from this CNN article http://tinyurl.com/3bfakq which includes the quote Pullman himself has said, "I'm trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief.". I do have the book and intend to read it my self and form my own opinion, but at the time I considered CNN to be a reasonable source of information.
    To be fair though, you first said that Pullman proclaimed his books to be "anti-religion," which is a much more general statement than the actual quote.
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 05:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I'll try and remember to let you know when I get to the end of book three. I just finished the second book yesterday. I'll probably also have seen the movie by then which I believe is based on book 1.
    I think Pullman has read a lot of Dawkins, it shows in his writing. Also Dawkins mentions 'His Dark Materials' in The God delusion which is obviously not going to put Pullman on any Church Christmas card lists... 😉
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 05:51

Are these stories true, like The Da Vinci Code?
  14. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 06:36
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    You think DaVinci code was true??
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 06:55
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    We will be able to tell by monitoring the response of the Church. If there is mass protest action, cover ups, book bannings etc then we will know that there is at least a grain of truth in there somewhere. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree