1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 15:58
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Of course belief in Him is required. When Jesus was preaching His gospel He used the terms "believe Him" and "believe in Him" essentially in three different ways: 
    1) Believe that He has the authority to speak the word of God 
    2) Believe that His words are the word of God 
    3) Believe His words in and of themselves. 
    Jesus did NOT use them to mean to ...[text shortened]... a commandment as to what to say and what to speak. 

"He who has ears to hear, let him hear".
    So, to boil this boilerplate down, you think that we earn salvation by "doing", and that belief is secondary, if that. You actually believe that "doing is believing"?

No, believing is believing.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 15:581 edit
    49 “For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak. 

In this scenario which you quote from the Bible; who in your mind is “the Father”?

I have an ear and am listening, but nothing seems to ever come back...

😉
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 16:04
    Hello...thinkofone...?
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 16:42
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    The default position for human beings is atheist.
    Actually I think we are born without an opinion on the existence of God.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 16:43
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Actually I think we are born without an opinion on the existence of God.
    How do you know?
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 16:44
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Why, were you born a Christian?
    I was born without an opinion on the existence of God and so were you. We both have one now.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 16:46
    How do you know?
    I said I think so. Try to read my posts.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 16:48
    Of course belief in Him is required. When Jesus was preaching His gospel He used the terms "believe Him" and "believe in Him" essentially in three different ways: 
    1) Believe that He has the authority to speak the word of God 
    2) Believe that His words are the word of God 
    3) Believe His words in and of themselves. 
    Jesus did NOT use them to mean to ...[text shortened]... a commandment as to what to say and what to speak. 

Do you have anything to say about the OP?
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 16:53
    Where’s Divegeester gone again, it’s so weird.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 16:55
    I said I think so. Try to read my posts.
    I don’t read most of your posts, you know why. Be thankful I’m bothering with you now.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 16:57
    I don’t read most of your posts, you know why. Be thankful I’m bothering with you now.
    I feel so honoured. 😏
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 16:59
    I feel so honoured. 😏
    I don’t care.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 17:341 edit
    If he was a Christian he would say so.

As a theist he has no motivation to not state what he believes, as an ex Christian, ex religious Jew (especially) he has lots of motivation to bash the Christian ideology by hammering a Jesus only hard message while refusing to state what he believes.

You’re not very perceptive are you.
    I have yet to meet an atheist or agnostic that is too ashamed to admit their belief.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 17:39
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    By "truly" righteous you mean without God, by one's own works. Imagine: You think one can enter God's Kingdom, the place he went to prepare for us, without him? Without even believing in his redemptive sacrifice for us?

Believing that Jesus keeps the promises he made to us regarding that he redeems us of sin (the "imputed nonsense" that you say ...[text shortened]... in), and THEN keeping our promises to him is precisely how we become actually righteous.
    You think one can enter God's Kingdom...Without even believing in his redemptive sacrifice for us?

In the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry, He never stipulated that. If you think He did, then cite the passages.

By "truly" righteous you mean without God, by one's own works.

No by abiding in His word and having His word abide in you. This Jesus did stipulate. Do you need to see passages?
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 17:54
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    So, to boil this boilerplate down, you think that we earn salvation by "doing", and that belief is secondary, if that. You actually believe that "doing is believing"?

Actually the post boils down to the individual has to believe His word. This is the end game in Jesus used the terms "believe Him" and "believe in Him" in the gospel preached by Him during His ministry.

Let me try this.

Let's say a man says that he believes in keeping the promise he made in his wedding vows. Let's say that he even thinks that he believes this with the utmost conviction. Subsequently he meets a beautiful woman and she shows interest in him. He then cheats on his wife.

I submit to you that he did not truly believe in keeping the promise.

I submit to you that a man who truly believes in keeping that promise would keep that promise even if he met the most beautiful woman in the world and she showed interest in him. It wouldn't even be a difficult decision.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree