1. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 14:25
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Always looking for the easy way out.

You and dj2becker have been excellent teachers in this respect.

To the point, then...you acknowledge the correlation between the observed constellations, their progression in the sky, and portions of the stories told in the gospel. In your opinion, the stars were placed just so by the god described in the Christian bible as to fortell the story of Jesus. Is that about the size of it?
  2. London
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 14:26
    Originally posted by David C
    [b]Always looking for the easy way out.

To the point, then...you acknowledge the correlation between the observed constellations, their progression in the sky, and portions of the stories told in the gospel. In your opinion, the sta ...[text shortened]... described in the Christian bible as to fortell the story of Jesus. Is that about the size of it?[/b]
    ???
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 14:43
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    ???
    Sorry, LH. Should have posted a link.

Thread 56101

Somwhere on the third or fourth page of the Never Mock God thread
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 15:38
    [b]Always looking for the easy way out.

To the point, then...you acknowledge the correlation between the observed constellations, their progression in the sky, and portions of the stories told in the gospel. In your opinion, the sta ...[text shortened]... described in the Christian bible as to fortell the story of Jesus. Is that about the size of it?[/b]
    That's just about the size of it.
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 16:16
    ...and this strikes you as a more reasonable (I know how you hate that word) conclusion to the premise than the idea that ancient astronomers communicated this information in the form of gnosticism, mysteries and folklore? And that this knowledge finally collated into the gripping, accessible, semi-coherent...but ultimately fictional...drama that is the Christian Gospel?
  6. London
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 16:441 edit
    ...and this strikes you as a more reasonable (I know how you hate that word) conclusion to the premise than the idea that ancient astronomers communicated this information in the form of gnosticism, mysteries and folklore? And that this knowledge finally collated into the gripping, accessible, semi-coherent...but ultimately fictional...drama that is the Christian Gospel?
    Yes. Too many conspiracy theories needed for your alternative.
  7. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 17:18
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Yes. Too many conspiracy theories needed for your alternative.
    Since your alternative is the biggest conspiracy theory of all, I respectfully disagree.
  8. London
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 17:33
    Since your alternative is the biggest conspiracy theory of all, I respectfully disagree.
    You're free to disagree but, in this case, the basis of your disagreement is one vast conspiracy theory (a theory that you hold) with very little evidence.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 01:06
    Your postulation is intriguing (although I think it's been done by pulp fiction writers in advance of you), but it really comes down to perspective.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 12:43
    Why not take this slowly, one step at a time, without leaping to any conclusions, or taking a step back from conclusions already reached.

My question is what do we know of astrology as practiced by ancient cultures and how do we know it. That'll do for a start.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 21:13
    But that puts a limit on how long a particular constellation will be views as whatever shape we are supposed to see in it. The stars are all moving with respect to each other and what we see now is not what was seen, say 50,000 years ago or 50,000 years hence.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 21:28
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But that puts a limit on how long a particular constellation will be views as whatever shape we are supposed to see in it. The stars are all moving with respect to each other and what we see now is not what was seen, say 50,000 years ago or 50,000 years hence.
    While not commenting on the age of the world, written history of man springs forth full bloom numbered in the ten's of thousands of years ago. It is unlikely that star positions have undergone radical change during this short period of time.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 15:14
    Is this a good reference for this topic?

http://www.lunarplanner.com/siderealastrology.html

I wouldn't know.
  14. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 11:51
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Is this a good reference for this topic?

http://www.lunarplanner.com/siderealastrology.html

I wouldn't know.
    It does. However, someone needs to explain to that webmaster that a black background with white text is painful and dizzying to read. Sort of like expecting something other than 'goddunnit' from Freaky and LH.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 11:53
    It does. However, someone needs to explain to that webmaster that a black background with white text is painful and dizzying to read. Sort of like expecting something other than 'goddunnit' from Freaky and LH.
    While you're at it, you can explain it to God too. That's how he "wrote" in the sky right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree