1. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    27 Nov '06 11:401 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Really? Care to elaborate what scenario it is?
    By "it", I'm referring to a broad range of hypotheses on the mythical Jesus position. None that I can recall off the top of my head include "Jews around a campfire" as you scoff; most attribute the initial impetus as Roman. There are linguists who've studied the original texts and the synoptic problem thay have concluded the authors of the NT were anything but Jewish.

edit: Here's one for you to enjoy:

http://www.nazarenus.com/
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Nov '06 12:441 edit
    Originally posted by David C
    Ah, the "flood". Yes, I suppose the constellations did exist prior to a mythical flood for which there is no physical evidence. Since I still have no idea where you are going, let me rephrase:

- Stars exist, perhaps since proposed, uncaused "Big Bang".
    - Humans evolve.

fast forward

- Ancient astronomers denote certain patterns in observed gr llo, Mithras and Jesus.
    - Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins write the "Left Behind" series.
    Since I still have no idea where you are going...
    Typical non-Godbotherer tripe: you started the conversation, remember?
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Nov '06 12:52
    but this whole "people who believe in God are idiots" tirade is childish.

I defy you to present an instance were I have posted this. Yes, I feel Christians have been misled, and continue to allow themselves to be willfully deceived. Their motivation is egocentric. By itself, this does not make them "idiots". Pat Robertson and Fred Phelps are idiots, y ...[text shortened]... y're tougher than you are.[/b]

That's great. Too bad your ego isn't quite so sturdy.[/b]
    Their motivation is egocentric.
    Great psycho-analysis. Your qualifications again were... what?

By itself, this does not make them "idiots". Pat Robertson and Fred Phelps are idiots, your average Church-goer is not. Scared, perhaps.
    The average "Church-goer," just as the average 'non-church attendee' is, with all probability, an idiot. Most people are blooming idiots, rarely looking beyond what is to determine either cause or purpose. Very little rational thought exists in the world today, either within the church or without, regardless the level of edumuhcation achieved.

That being said, I giggle at your suggestion that I am either an idiot or scared. Perhaps that confirms the former, in your mind.
  4. London
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 15:521 edit
    By "it", I'm referring to a broad range of hypotheses on the mythical Jesus position. None that I can recall off the top of my head include "Jews around a campfire" as you scoff; most attribute the initial impetus as Roman. There are linguists who've studied the original texts and the synoptic problem thay have concluded the authors of the NT were anything but Jewish.

edit: Here's one for you to enjoy:

There are linguists who've studied the original texts and the synoptic problem thay have concluded the authors of the NT were anything but Jewish.

And the vast majority of those who've studied them have no doubt that the authors (particularly of Matthew and John) were very much Jewish.

Here's one for you to enjoy:

Thanks for that -- I did find it hilarious. I have to admit; it's a better work of research than The Da Vinci Code. As with all good conspiracy theories, it takes a smattering of truth, throws in some plausible-sounding speculation and, most importantly, starts off by assuming the very thing it seeks to "prove" and then selectively weighs the evidence (or even creates it) to support it. For instance:

http://www.tektonics.org/qt/seneca.html

EDIT: Reminds me of something Karl Popper wrote about Marxism and Freudianism being considered "sciences" -- any evidence available will always support the theory and therefore it doesn't really depend on the evidence at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree