1. Illinois
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 00:303 edits
    Would you allow God Himself to wash your feet and be your servant?

"“No,” Peter protested, “you will never ever wash my feet!” Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no share with me"" (John 13:8).

"The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many" (Matt. 20:28).

The Lord of heaven and earth humbled Himself even unto the cross, so that He could justify you and glorify Himself in and through you. It doesn't matter how sinful you are, He is still willing to wash your feet and to serve you. Can you even comprehend that kind of love? But such is God's love at work in, Jesus Christ, the Servant King.

Again, would you allow God Himself to wash your feet and serve you? Such is the expression of God's love for unworthy, sinful men and women like you and I.

Humble yourself and look to the cross in faith, and God will exalt you.

"He that shall humble himself shall be exalted" (Matt. 23:12).

Peace.
  2. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 05:33
    I don't consider myself to be unworthy of the most basic act of hospitality, which is what that was. I am the way I was created. I was created as a human and subject to numerous foibles. It's all built into the package. Yes, if God appeared and wanted to wash my feet, why would I protest? Then again, I've been a part of foot-washing "ceremonies" during Holy Thursday Masses, so maybe that has an impact on my point of view.
  3. Illinois
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 07:121 edit
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    I don't consider myself to be unworthy of the most basic act of hospitality, which is what that was. I am the way I was created. I was created as a human and subject to numerous foibles. It's all built into the package. Yes, if God appeared and wanted to wash my feet, why would I protest? Then again, I've been a part of foot-washing "ceremonies" during Holy Thursday Masses, so maybe that has an impact on my point of view.
    Oh, man, to me Christ washing His disciple's feet was so much more than just a basic act of hospitality. I see it as an expression of God's great agape love for us; His willingness to serve us. By doing so He imparts His love to us, and gives us a worth which is not inherent to us.

All the argumentation in these forums about 'Spirit' and 'Law' and 'Works' and 'Faith' don't add up to anything; a direct revelation of God's love is the only key to a true understanding of scripture.

i.e....

God is a Spirit. God is love. God is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is love. The fruit of the Spirit is love. God's love is communicated to us by the 'Spirit', an outpouring of love which inspires us to show forth that love to God and to our fellow man. The love which we give back to God is expressed by our obedience to God's commandments; the love which we give to men is the same utterly charitable expression of God's love for us, which He gives us in full knowledge of our shortcomings. Therefore, love is the fulfillment of the 'Law' and the power behind every 'Work'.

If a Christian knew nothing of theology, or the depth of meaning hidden in the bible's Greek and Hebrew, nor all the mysteries of faith, yet that Christian nevertheless knew firsthand the power of God (i.e. God's Spirit--God's love), then that Christian would fulfill perfectly every benchmark the Lord requires of His children, all within the simple give and take of God's agape love.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 20:10
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    God is a Spirit. God is love. God is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is love. The fruit of the Spirit is love. God's love is communicated to us by the 'Spirit', an outpouring of love which inspires us to show forth that love to God and to our fellow man. The love which we give back to God is expressed by our obedience to God's commandments; the love ...[text shortened]... es of His children, all within the simple give and take of God's agape love.[/b]
    I agree wholeheartedly.

This applies to non-Christians as well.
  5. Illinois
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 21:23
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I agree wholeheartedly.

This applies to non-Christians as well.
    Of course, being a bible-believing Christian, I cannot agree with you. Sorry. Only those who repent and believe in Jesus Christ, and only those who are water baptized in His Name, shall receive the empowerment of the Holy Spirit.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 21:391 edit
    Of course, being a bible-believing Christian, I cannot agree with you. Sorry. Only those who repent and believe in Jesus Christ, and only those who are water baptized in His Name, shall receive the empowerment of the Holy Spirit.
    God is a Spirit. God is love. God is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is love. The fruit of the Spirit is love. God's love is communicated to us by the 'Spirit', an outpouring of love which inspires us to show forth that love to God and to our fellow man. The love which we give back to God is expressed by our obedience to God's commandments; the love which we give to men is the same utterly charitable expression of God's love for us, which He gives us in full knowledge of our shortcomings. Therefore, love is the fulfillment of the 'Law' and the power behind every 'Work'.

If a Christian knew nothing of theology, or the depth of meaning hidden in the bible's Greek and Hebrew, nor all the mysteries of faith, yet that Christian nevertheless knew firsthand the power of God (i.e. God's Spirit--God's love), then that Christian would fulfill perfectly every benchmark the Lord requires of His children, all within the simple give and take of God's agape love.

Focus on the second paragraph.

How do you explain the non-Christians throughout history that have been inspired "to show forth that love to God and to our fellow man" if they didn't have the Holy Spirit inside them?

How do you explain the countless Christians throughout history that "believe in Jesus Christ, and ...who are water baptized in His Name" but don't "show forth that love to God and to our fellow man"?

From what I can tell, Christians are no more moral than the general population.
  7. Illinois
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 21:441 edit
    God is a Spirit. God is love. God is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is love. The fruit of the Spirit is love. God's love is communicated to us by the 'Spirit', an outpouring of love which inspires us to show forth that love to God and to our fellow man. The love which we give back to God is expressed by our obedience to God's commandments; the love w what I can tell, Christians are no more moral than the general population.
    You're going to think I'm ignorant, but I'm sticking with the word of God on this one.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 21:52
    You're going to think I'm ignorant, but I'm sticking with the word of God on this one.
    As you come to understand the Holy Spirit, you'll come to realize that ALL have been born with the Holy Spirit inside them. Most choose to ignore it and listen to the self instead.
  9. Illinois
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 22:01
    As you come to understand the Holy Spirit, you'll come to realize that ALL have been born with the Holy Spirit inside them. Most choose to ignore it and listen to the self instead.
    Again, sticking with God's word on this one. Thanks.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 22:03
    Again, sticking with God's word on this one. Thanks.
    Don't be so sure you fully understand God's word.
  11. Illinois
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 22:18
    Don't be so sure you fully understand God's word.
    Likewise.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 22:29
    Likewise.
    Keep in mind that you're the one who equated your interpretation of God's word with God's word itself.
  13. Illinois
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 22:41
    Keep in mind that you're the one who equated your interpretation of God's word with God's word itself.
    [b]You're going to think I'm ignorant, but I'm sticking with the word of God on this one.
    [/b]
    Meaning, I'm not going to take the same liberties with God's word that you do, e.g. your exegetical claim that Christianity has nothing to do with exclusive allegience to the Person, Jesus Christ.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 22:54
    Meaning, I'm not going to take the same liberties with God's word that you do, e.g. your exegetical claim that Christianity has nothing to do with exclusive allegience to the Person, Jesus Christ.
    Let me see if I understand you correctly. When it's something that you don't agree with, then it's "taking liberties", while your interpretation is "God's word"?

Besides, I've never made any such claim.
  15. Illinois
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 23:22
    Let me see if I understand you correctly. When it's something that you don't agree with, then it's "taking liberties", while your interpretation is "God's word"?

The bible clearly indicates that Jesus is a person; not a mere embodiment of virtues, which you claim. Your exegesis supplants Christ's personhood with a nebulous ideal, thereby negating any verifiable allegiance to his name. But Christ is a person, as real as you and I, Who asks for our allegience.

"Ultimately Jesus is not a person." - ThinkOfOne, Thread 69378

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree