Mark 2
    Luke 3
    John 7
    Acts 4
    1 Corinthians 1
    Hebrews 2
    Revelation 22

Total 54

In Many cases it used directly when referring to God as the example of Revelation 7:11

Revelation 7:11

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

11 And all the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures; and they fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God

Now the contention is this by some that this word can not mean worship of God yet by context it is clearly shown in Rev 7:11

Manny
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 19:23
    Originally posted by menace71
    Proskuneo is used 54 times in the New Testament

NAS Verse Count
    Matthew 13
    Mark 2
    Luke 3
    John 7
    Acts 4
    1 Corinthians 1
    Hebrews 2
    Revelation 22

Total 54

In Many cases it used directly when referring to God as the example of Revelation 7:11

Revelation ...[text shortened]... this word can not mean worship of God yet by context it is clearly shown in Rev 7:11

Manny
    Proskyno/ proskyneo (pros + kyno): initial meaning “I greet/ hail and owe obedience by means of kissing the hands or feet”. As regards the etymology of the verb ky-neo (ky-), we have the following: IE ku-s (n. kiss), Hett. kuwas-zi (v. kiss), Anc. Ger. kus (n. kiss), Ger. kuss, Eng. kiss.

The v. Proskyno is used as following: 1. (In sacred places or in front of sacred symbols) I bow and/ or I kiss/ embrace with piety and respect. 2. I bow in order to owe obedience to somebody. 3. I bow and offer respect to somebody. 4. I submit myself to somebody. 5. I accept somebody as my overlord. 6. I go on a pilgrimage. 7. I merely salute and bow to somebody (to a lady etc) with respect. 8. (metaphor) My head drooped because I am too sleepy. 9. (past participle: proskynimenos) A person that accepts somebody as his overlord.
    😵
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 19:46
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Proskyno/ proskyneo (pros + kyno): initial meaning “I greet/ hail and owe obedience by means of kissing the hands or feet”. As regards the etymology of the verb ky-neo (ky-), we have the following: IE ku-s (n. kiss), Hett. kuwas-zi (v. kiss), Anc. Ger. kus (n. kiss), Ger. kuss, Eng. kiss.

The v. Proskyno is used as following: 1. (In sacred places or ...[text shortened]... sleepy. 9. (past participle: proskynimenos) A person that accepts somebody as his overlord.
    😵
    Do you know if there is a different Greek word that is used for worshipping God?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 19:521 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Do you know if there is a different Greek word that is used for worshipping God?
    This one occurs around 200 times

shachah
    shaw-khaw'
    A primitive root; to depress, that is, prostrate (especially reflexively in homage to royalty or God): - bow (self) down, crouch, fall down (flat), humbly beseech, do (make) obeisance, do reverence, make to stoop, worship.
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 20:11

The v. Proskyno is used as following: 1. (In sacred places or ...[text shortened]... sleepy. 9. (past participle: proskynimenos) A person that accepts somebody as his overlord.
    😵
    Agreed and no argument that is the word

Manny
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 20:19
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    This one occurs around 200 times

shachah
    shaw-khaw'
    A primitive root; to depress, that is, prostrate (especially reflexively in homage to royalty or God): - bow (self) down, crouch, fall down (flat), humbly beseech, do (make) obeisance, do reverence, make to stoop, worship.
    Proskuneo is Greek (Strong's 4352), thus it is found in the New Testament.

Shachah is Hebrew (Strong's 7812), thus it is found in the Old Testament.
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 20:23
    The 70 used the Greek verbs latrevo and doulevo during their OT translation in order to translate the Hebr. avodh (I serve G-d, I worship G-d)
    😵
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 20:321 edit
    The 70 used the Greek verbs latrevo and doulevo during their OT translation in order to translate the Hebr. avodh (I serve G-d, I worship G-d)
    😵
    Then are you saying that there is no verse in the New testament that says anything about worshpping God or worshipping anything else? That is, you are not aware of any.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 21:182 edits
    Proskuneo is used 54 times in the New Testament

NAS Verse Count
    Matthew 13
    Mark 2
    Luke 3
    John 7
    Acts 4
    1 Corinthians 1
    Hebrews 2
    Revelation 22

Total 54

Revelation ...[text shortened]... this word can not mean worship of God yet by context it is clearly shown in Rev 7:11

Manny
    I don't think anyone is contesting that it cannot mean worship of God, the problem is in consistency and quality of translation which is often subject to religious bias.

I demonstrated this in one translation where it was inconceivable to translate it as worship simply because it was not possible to be in a mental state of reverential adoration and doubt at the same time. Why had the translators rendered the text as worship. because of their religious bias, for it was in connection with Jesus. It had no logical or linguistic or contextual basis otherwise and in fact the rendering made the translation appear nonsensical because of it.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 21:19

😵
    thankyou
  11. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 00:31
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I don't think anyone is contesting that it cannot mean worship of God, the problem is in consistency and quality of translation which is often subject to religious bias.

I demonstrated this in one translation where it was inconceivable to translate it as worship simply because it was not possible to be in a mental state of reverential adoration ...[text shortened]... basis otherwise and in fact the rendering made the translation appear nonsensical because of it.
    In the case where the blind man was healed by Jesus the word means fell down bowed down did homage and the context of what Jesus says is key here. other places where men bow to the angels and the angels say "knock it off" I'm a fellow servant worship God alone. Jesus had the chance to say knock it off !! Worship God alone why didn't he ? Context and being in a monotheistic society this means even more.

Manny
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 01:04
    In the case where the blind man was healed by Jesus the word means fell down bowed down did homage and the context of what Jesus says is key here. other places where men bow to the angels and the angels say "knock it off" I'm a fellow servant worship God alone. Jesus had the chance to say knock it off !! Worship God alone why didn't he ? Context and being in a monotheistic society this means even more.

Manny
    Jesus did not stop them frowm bowing down in worship because He deserved worship as the Son of God. For God the Father had told the angels to worship His Son when he came into the world. And Jesus was that Son, who came into the world.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 08:51

Manny
    and once again we see the need to resort to what Jesus did not say or do rather than what is written, the fact of the matter is this, there is not a single instance in the entire gospels where Jesus commanded anyone to worship him, in fact, he said to a man, why do you call me good? no one is good except the father. The whole premise that Jesus is to be worshipped depends upon inaccurate translation and religious bias being imposed upon scripture by those who want the scriptures to say that Jesus should be worshipped rather than what it actually does say. Black beetle admirably pointed out the meaning of the term, often inaccurately rendered as worship.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 08:52
    Jesus did not stop them frowm bowing down in worship because He deserved worship as the Son of God. For God the Father had told the angels to worship His Son when he came into the world. And Jesus was that Son, who came into the world.
    I rest my case
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 15:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    and once again we see the need to resort to what Jesus did not say or do rather than what is written, the fact of the matter is this, there is not a single instance in the entire gospels where Jesus commanded anyone to worship him, in fact, he said to a man, why do you call me good? no one is good except the father. The whole premise that Jesus is t ...[text shortened]... ck beetle admirably pointed out the meaning of the term, often inaccurately rendered as worship.
    Maybe it is your Watchtower Society's bias at play not to render that word as "worship" and instead to a crazy phrase that nobody uses and does not even make sense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree