1. Joined
    29 May '10
    Moves
    586
    26 Jul '10 04:35
    The Happiest Man in The World

    http://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ricard_on_the_habits_of_happiness.html

    Comes across as a very simple, normal guy. Interesting stuff.

    TED talk by Matthieu Ricard, former microbiologist at the Pasteur Institute and Buddhist monk for many years. He has been involved in psychological studies on happiness. Many of his fellow monks rate on the extreme high end of the happiness scale created by these tests. And his ratings seem to be off the charts.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    26 Jul '10 16:58
    Originally posted by r99pawn77
    The Happiest Man in The World

    http://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ricard_on_the_habits_of_happiness.html

    Comes across as a very simple, normal guy. Interesting stuff.

    TED talk by Matthieu Ricard, former microbiologist at the Pasteur Institute and Buddhist monk for many years. He has been involved in psychological studies on happiness. Many of his ...[text shortened]... h end of the happiness scale created by these tests. And his ratings seem to be off the charts.
    No matter how you try to frame it or justify it, the desire for happiness is self-centered. In a world where there is suffering, only through self-delusion can one attain happiness. One should seek reality rather than happiness.

    Evidently Matthieu Ricard is a master of self-delusion.
  3. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    27860
    26 Jul '10 17:14
    "The happiest man on earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror, that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is."



    JKR, 1997
  4. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    27860
    26 Jul '10 17:20
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    No matter how you try to frame it or justify it, the desire for happiness is self-centered. In a world where there is suffering, only through self-delusion can one attain happiness. One should seek reality rather than happiness.

    Evidently Matthieu Ricard is a master of self-delusion.
    Seek reality? It's hard to avoid completely. But happiness can come from one's interpretation of reality. If your belief system includes the thought that this life is a temporary blip among your many past and future temporary blip lives, and so is everyone else's, you might be less likely to feel constant angst. Similarly, if you're doing things to try to alleviate the angst of others, at some point you're happy to be making a difference. If you're constantly worrying about the whole world's suffering but doing nothing, or doing what you can but beating yourself up that it's not enough, then that's neither mentally healthy nor realistic.
  5. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    26 Jul '10 18:37
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Seek reality? It's hard to avoid completely. But happiness can come from one's interpretation of reality. If your belief system includes the thought that this life is a temporary blip among your many past and future temporary blip lives, and so is everyone else's, you might be less likely to feel constant angst.
    As ThinkOfOne said, that is self delusion. You cannot invent reincarnation and pretend it is merely your 'interpretation of reality'.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    26 Jul '10 20:402 edits
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Seek reality? It's hard to avoid completely. But happiness can come from one's interpretation of reality. If your belief system includes the thought that this life is a temporary blip among your many past and future temporary blip lives, and so is everyone else's, you might be less likely to feel constant angst. Similarly, if you're doing things to t g yourself up that it's not enough, then that's neither mentally healthy nor realistic.
    Your comment that "[reality] is hard to avoid completely" says a lot. The vast majority DO try to avoid it. They try to avoid it through self-delusion. Some even go so far as to concoct elaborate belief systems as TW pointed out, so strong is the desire for the feeling of "happiness". However, if you think about it, the feeling of "happiness" is intrinsically self-centered since it can only be felt by the individual. Even your example of "doing things to try to alleviate the angst of others" is followed by "at some point YOU'RE HAPPY to be making a difference". People are addicted to the neurobiological incentive to have a sense of well-being, i.e., happiness. Note that it is a SENSE of well-being that is most often brought on by self-delusion. I submit to you that what is truly "mentally healthy [and] realistic" is living in reality rather than self-delusion.
  7. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    26 Jul '10 22:43
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    No matter how you try to frame it or justify it, the desire for happiness is self-centered. In a world where there is suffering, only through self-delusion can one attain happiness. One should seek reality rather than happiness.

    Evidently Matthieu Ricard is a master of self-delusion.
    Interesting response, ToO.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    26 Jul '10 23:49
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Interesting response, ToO.
    lol...
  9. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    17 Feb '04
    Moves
    49979
    27 Jul '10 00:31
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    No matter how you try to frame it or justify it, the desire for happiness is self-centered. In a world where there is suffering, only through self-delusion can one attain happiness. One should seek reality rather than happiness.

    Evidently Matthieu Ricard is a master of self-delusion.
    I think you miss the point of Ricard's happiness. I don't think he 'desires' happiness, it's simply the outcome of his particular outlook on the world.
    He's happy - not because he wants to be happy, but simply because that's what he is.

    As an analogy, I could say I'm a male, not because I desire to be one, I just am. Am I self-deluded because of that? I wouldn't think so.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    27 Jul '10 00:471 edit
    Originally posted by r99pawn77
    The Happiest Man in The World

    http://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ricard_on_the_habits_of_happiness.html

    Comes across as a very simple, normal guy. Interesting stuff.

    TED talk by Matthieu Ricard, former microbiologist at the Pasteur Institute and Buddhist monk for many years. He has been involved in psychological studies on happiness. Many of his ...[text shortened]... h end of the happiness scale created by these tests. And his ratings seem to be off the charts.
    The quality or state of human 'happiness' represents an inclusive spectrum, ranging

    from tranquility to ecstatics. God alone enjoys perfect happiness. It's part of His gift.



    ........................................................................
  11. Joined
    03 Jul '10
    Moves
    518
    27 Jul '10 00:57
    Good for him. Nothing wrong with being happy 🙂
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    27 Jul '10 01:034 edits
    Originally posted by amannion
    I think you miss the point of Ricard's happiness. I don't think he 'desires' happiness, it's simply the outcome of his particular outlook on the world.
    He's happy - not because he wants to be happy, but simply because that's what he is.

    As an analogy, I could say I'm a male, not because I desire to be one, I just am. Am I self-deluded because of that? I wouldn't think so.
    I think you miss the point of Ricard's happiness. I don't think he 'desires' happiness, it's simply the outcome of his particular outlook on the world.
    He's happy - not because he wants to be happy, but simply because that's what he is.


    I take it you didn't watch the video which seems to contradict your premise. So on what do you base your premise?

    As an analogy, I could say I'm a male, not because I desire to be one, I just am. Am I self-deluded because of that? I wouldn't think so.

    You might want to reread my post. You seem to have confused where self-delusion comes in. You really need to work on your analogies. It's usually good to find something more analogous than what you chose here.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    27 Jul '10 01:49
    Originally posted by gtbiking4life
    Good for him. Nothing wrong with being happy 🙂
    Option of sharing His Perfect Happiness in time and eternity is available to you.
  14. Joined
    03 Jul '10
    Moves
    518
    27 Jul '10 02:05
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Option of sharing His Perfect Happiness in time and eternity is available to you.
    But I'm already happy 😀
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    27 Jul '10 04:31
    Originally posted by gtbiking4life
    But I'm already happy 😀
    Sorry, GTB... guess your tone of meaning delivered an underwhelming effect.
Back to Top