The Holiday Hallmark Can't Handle

The Holiday Hallmark Can't Handle

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

London

Moves
14 Apr 06

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/162/story_16298_1.html

Excerpt:

Good Friday is the one Christian “holiday” that the wider culture, even in America, has not taken up. It is the one holy day whose Christian significance cannot be bleached out to leave a commercially viable residue. Christmas can be for children and families, for shopping, for feasting. Easter can be bunnies and baby chicks, the newness of spring and a whole lot of chocolate. Even a couple of days marked out to honor saints in some Christian traditions—Valentine, Patrick—have been pretty much entirely taken over by a culture of romance and hedonism, sex and shopping.

Not this day. There is nothing marketable about Good Friday. Suffering, sacrifice, injustice, betrayal—what’s to celebrate? What’s to shop for? Who could pig out on a day like that?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
14 Apr 06

Why hasn't a fish retailer started exploiting Good Friday yet?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
14 Apr 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer

Excerpt:
Good Friday is the one Christian “holiday” that the wider culture, even in America, has not taken up. It is the one holy day whose Christian significance cannot be bleached out to leave a commercially viable residue. Christmas can be for children and families, for shopping, for ...[text shortened]... betrayal—what’s to celebrate? What’s to shop for? Who could pig out on a day like that?
Therefore Good Friday is largely ignored. Your so-called christian holidays have to adapt to an increasingly secular world or fade into oblivion. I bet a good percentage of people who call themselves christian couldn't even tell you what Good Friday is all about.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
14 Apr 06

Originally posted by rwingett
Therefore Good Friday is largely ignored. Your so-called christian holidays have to adapt to an increasingly secular world or fade into oblivion. I bet a good percentage of people who call themselves christian couldn't even tell you what Good Friday is all about.
I reckon we should have schools do plays about it. Kinda like nativity plays, except not all the children survive....

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
14 Apr 06

Excerpt:
Good Friday is the one Christian “holiday” that the wider culture, even in America, has not taken up. It is the one holy day whose Christian significance cannot be bleached out to leave a commercially viable residue. Christmas can be for children and families, for shopping, for ...[text shortened]... betrayal—what’s to celebrate? What’s to shop for? Who could pig out on a day like that?
My friends and I toyed with the idea of decorating a crucifix for Good Friday, but decided that would be tacky. So now we just go out for sushi.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
14 Apr 06

Originally posted by bbarr
So now we just go out for sushi.
I do this on Pearl Harbor day.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
14 Apr 06

Originally posted by royalchicken
I do this on Pearl Harbor day.
do you cut yours up and eat it with wasabi (horrible stuff)? I thought you just suck it in whole as you swim along.....

NowYouSeeIt

NowYouDon't

Moves
14 Apr 06

Being someone who works in wine retailing, Easter is the second-busiest peak in sales for the entire year. That other pagan drinking holiday - Christmas! - is first 🙄 The northern european/north american rites of Spring are apparently still a great excuse to open a bottle of fermented grape juice.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
14 Apr 06

Excerpt:
All I know is that the Catholics convinced my employers to make this day a paid holiday, so God bless 'em, and God bless the pope. Think I'll celebrate with a big ol' steak dinner tonite.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
14 Apr 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
do you cut yours up and eat it with wasabi (horrible stuff)? I thought you just suck it in whole as you swim along.....
Wasabi is wonderful. Next time you find yourself on a boat, throw wasabi overboard so that the Faith Whales may more readily enjoy it.

l

London

Moves
14 Apr 06

I wouldn't take that bet unless we agreed on exactly what a "good percentage" (30%? 20%? 10%?) is. 🙂 Not to mention that, since The Passion of the Christ, most non-Christians (forget Evangelicals) probably know what Good Friday is all about now.

l

London

Moves
14 Apr 06
1 edit

My friends and I toyed with the idea of decorating a crucifix for Good Friday, but decided that would be tacky. So now we just go out for sushi.
Probably best. I'd consider it a waste of my time to go out of my way to be offensive.

If you are Christian, go to church. If not, enjoy the day off; go shopping; watch TV or (if you're really short of options) turn up at the office to tie up loose ends from the previous week.

EDIT: BDP seems to have got it.

c
Islamofascists Suck!

Macon, Georgia, CSA

Moves
15 Apr 06

You're probably right....sadly so....

c
Islamofascists Suck!

Macon, Georgia, CSA

Moves
15 Apr 06

Do you put 5,000 plates of Philadelphia or California rolls your tab?....I'll take the Philly roll...ummmm 😉