1. St. Peter's
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 15:21
    Matthew 28:16-20
    28:16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them.

28:17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted.

28:18 And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

28:20 and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

seems pretty clear cut to me....
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 16:44
    Originally posted by Doward
    28:16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them.

28:18 And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in th ...[text shortened]... remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

Do you believe everything you read?
  3. St. Peter's
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 19:09
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Do you believe everything you read?
    so long as it isn't written by a cat๐Ÿ˜‰
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 19:43
    so long as it isn't written by a cat๐Ÿ˜‰
    You've read stuff written by a cat?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 21:00
    28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the [b]name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
    [/b]
    Can you find me any place in all of Acts or indeed the new testament where the disciples used this formula? There aren't any.

Every time the disciples baptised into the name (not names) of Jesus.

Jesus is the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, the "one name given amongst men by which we may be saved."
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 21:05

28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in th ...[text shortened]... remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

Clear cut?
    The "Father" is under scrutiny in another thread.
    The "Son" is only that for christians .
    And who knows what "The Holy Spirit " REALLY is? What do you think?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 23:57
    Aren't you a cat?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 23:58
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Clear cut?
    The "Father" is under scrutiny in another thread.
    The "Son" is only that for christians .
    And who knows what "The Holy Spirit " REALLY is? What do you think?
    I know, the Holy Spirit is God.
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 03:26
    It appears that the God of the bible has a triune nature although the early church fathers split on this issue as we know already. In the old testement it seems at least that God has a plural nature. There are examples of this in Genesis and Isaiah. Yet this seem in contrast to what God said in the 10 commandments to the Israelites. Hear Israel the Lord your God is one. The JW's believe Jesus is a created being and the spirit is just a force. I believe that every analogy that man can conjure up about the nature of God will break down just on human communcation alone. I don't think it's so much a mystery (our JW's friends get so hung up on this word mystery)as just the finite trying to comprehend the infinite. We can aprehend but the idea of the trinity but our little brains have trouble with it because it's the very nature of God.

Manny
  10. St. Peter's
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 10:53
    legend has it that "The Cat In The Hat" is really autobiographical. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 12:33

Who gave Jesus this authority?
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 17:36
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Aren't you a cat?
    No I'm not really a cat. Gosh you are a credulous fellow aren't you?
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 18:37
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Who gave Jesus this authority?
    No comment yet? Just the question here is the obvious one which is if Jesus is God and if all three of these beings of the Trinity are all equal and all knowing and all powerful as the trinity explains, then why wouldn't Jesus already have all the authority that the other two parts have? Did he not have it before this was given to him?
    And for one part to have the authority as I guess the other one or two parts already had that would make those other parts have more power or strength or importance then the one part that needs to have that given to it by the other parts.
    Do you see the problem with this reasoning that the trinity trys to inject here?
    How could Jesus be given something that according to the trinity he would already have if he was truly God himself? Is God truly lacking something within himself or some part of himself or does he just move these abilities around from one part of himself to another part?
    Why does the bible not say the Holy Spirit is given this same authority as Jesus is given?
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 20:30
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I know, the Holy Spirit is God.
    So is Love, but it doesn't mean anything when we put it like that.
  15. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    17 Jun '11 04:20

Okay, but where in the passage does it say that they are all one entity?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree