Moves
    29 Jul '09 17:17
    The Human Soul #101

"You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." -C.S. Lewis
  2. Standard memberpatauro
    Patricia
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 20:41
    Sometimes I feel like a spiritual being traped in a dying animal"s body.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 20:43
    We are a three part being - Spirit - Soul - Body.

www.tripartiteman.org
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 23:191 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    We are a three part being - Spirit - Soul - Body.

www.tripartiteman.org
    Mother dependent biological life only inside the womb; God dependent human life with the imputation of a unique God breathed soul at the moment of physical birth (dichotomous, body/soul); trichotomous with body/soul/human spirit (imputed to enable perception of absolute divine truth) only at the moment of 'faith alone in Christ alone'/spiritual birth. God's work is perfect and permanent. Our souls are immortal.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 00:15
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Mother dependent biological life only inside the womb; God dependent human life with the imputation of a unique God breathed soul at the moment of physical birth (dichotomous, body/soul); trichotomous with body/soul/human spirit (imputed to enable perception of absolute divine truth) only at the moment of 'faith alone in Christ alone'/spiritual birth. God's work is perfect and permanent. Our souls are immortal.
    Not according to the Bible...
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 00:26
    Originally posted by patauro
    Thats because you are!
    Try to remember that when you get angry.
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 03:52
    Originally posted by patauro
    And what are you creating out of that specific lucid dream?
    😵
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 03:54
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Thats because you are!
    Try to remember that when you get angry.
    Tsune ni ite, kyu ni awasu😵
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 07:509 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    ======================================
    ======================================

I believe that the spirit of man is deadened or comatose when the man is born in the world. This is because of the fall of man in Adam's disobedience.

Upon faith in Christ the human spirit is made alive, enlivened. The idea you present seems to be that the human spirit is created upon faith in Christ. It is interesting. And it is better than strict dichotomous error of saying spirit and soul are the same.

However, deadened is existing but not alive. The sinner was "dead in your offenses and sins" (Eph. 2:1)

Now the soul was not dead when I was an unbeliever. And the body was not dead when I was an unbeliever. So what part of me was dead? The human spirit was dead. Or it was practically almost totally dead. I like to say it was comatose.

When I received Jesus the human spirit became spiritual and divine life because of being justified by Christ - "the spirit is life because of righteousness" (Rom. 8:10).

Justification from my sins in the blood of Jesus caused my third part, my human spirit, to become divine life. Christ entered into my spirit to resurrect it from its deadened state.

"Even when we were dead in offenses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved) (Eph.2:5)."

I understand that the human spirit was made alive out of its damaged and deadened state. Here again in Col. 2:13 -

"And you, though dead in your offenses ..., He made alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our offenses."

The soul was not dead. The body was not dead. So this deadness must be that of the spirit of man. Justification and forgiveness in Christ allows the Lord to join with our spirit as one to make it life:

"He who is joined to the Lord is one spirit" (1 Cor. 6:17)

But I admit that it is difficult to totally systematize the revelation of the Bible. And I am willing to consider problems with this view of the existing yet deadened human spirit.

Notice also Jesus refered to those with an active body and soul as being the dead here:

"But He said to him, Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and announce the kingdom of God" (Luke 9:59)

I think Jesus was refering to those with a dead human spirit should be allowed to bury the physically dead.

And again here:

"Truly,truly, I say to you, An hour is coming, and it is now, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live." (John 5:25)

In verse 28 Jesus speaks of those in the tombs (physically dead) will come forth to resurrection when hearing His voice to rise. But in verse 25 I believe He is speaking of all those spiritually dead, dead in the human spirit, who will hear and will live in the divine life.

Compare to Him speaking of His own resurrection in chapter 14:

"Yet, a little while and the world beholds Me no longer, but you behold Me; because I live, you also shall live." (John 14:19) The disciples, even before the physical resurrection, will LIVE spiritually because Christ can cause them to be born again. This living is during the whole church age. Because He is in resurrection we Christians can live with the divine life.

But I also realize that a total systematizing of the Bible would prove elusive.
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 08:352 edits
    Originally posted by galveston75
    To a statment about the soul being immortal, you responded:

===================
    ========================

No one verse in the Bible can be pointed to to prove the immortality of the soul as a separate entity, apart from a resurrected body. And this fact has been used by Russell's students and others to teach that there can be no eternal suffering.

But the reasoning of the this annhilationist view is not strong enough to make that link.

The phrase "the immortality of the soul" arose from Greek philosophy. It doesn't appear in the Bible. But the final resurrection of the dead and judgment of the reunited soul and spirit and body prove the endless existence of the soul in that sense.

That God does not intend an immortal soul separated from the body is evident. But that the soul temporarily separated from the body at death, still existed, is entirely scriptural. For instance Jesus told the believing thief on the cross beside Him that on that day of their death they would be together in Paradise.

The day He died with the thief, their souls were together in Paradise. It would be ridiculous to consider the Graves or the tombs in which their bodies lay, as Paradise.

Wherever Paradise is, the souls of Jesus and the thief, separated from the buried bodies, were there.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 05:47
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Tsune ni ite, kyu ni awasu😵
    You know I dont know what you are saying, but it sounds good to phonetically pronounce the sounds🙂
  12. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 07:00
    You know I dont know what you are saying, but it sounds good to phonetically pronounce the sounds🙂
    Of course I know that you know what I am saying (if you could not understand it you would simply had it googled)
    😵
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 08:14
    Of course I know that you know what I am saying (if you could not understand it you would simply had it googled)
    😵
    Thats like the 2nd thing I've googled.
    "whereever you are whatever you are doing , be prepared"
    Kinda relates to my post. But then you always draw a long bow dont you?
    I would add to that "for blackbeetle"🙂
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 08:28
    Thats like the 2nd thing I've googled.
    "whereever you are whatever you are doing , be prepared"
    Kinda relates to my post. But then you always draw a long bow dont you?
    I would add to that "for blackbeetle"🙂
    I always focus afar when the incident is in front of me and I always focus close when the incident is still afar😵
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 12:45
    I always focus afar when the incident is in front of me and I always focus close when the incident is still afar😵
    Is this a Zen koan?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree