1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    18 Mar '05 16:26
    Originally posted by nickybutt
    As far as I see it, religion can only develop a civilization so far. Once a civilization reaches the scientific era, religion needs to step back and let science be the main inspiration for the development of society.
    It is therefor my opinion that you can't get to have a scientifically based society without the previous religious phase, so in effect you ...[text shortened]... on isn't needed anymore, which many people have a hard time coping with.

EDIT: can't spell
    nickybutt: "Once a civilization reaches the scientific era, religion needs to step back and let science be the main inspiration for the development of society."

This notion keeps coming back in all discussions about all things that even in the remotest ways reminds people of religion.

Don't people realise we need both ?

Why do people assume that religion is necessarily inferior to science ?

Is this because they assume that ALL religion is superstition ?

Is this because they believe ALL science is rational ?

2. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    18 Mar '05 18:17
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    nickybutt: "Once a civilization reaches the scientific era, religion needs to step back and let science be the main inspiration for the development of society."

This notion keeps coming back in all discussions about all things that even in the remotest ways reminds people of religion.

Don't people realise we need both ?

Why do people assume that ...[text shortened]... hat ALL religion is superstition ?

Is this because they believe ALL science is rational ?

There is no comparison. If you're talking about scientific advancements and achievements for mankind I believe we'd have to include everything. Technology, medicine, transportation, electronics, industrialisation, etc. The list goes on forever. Every advancement of mankind is in someway related to science. Including the horrible advancements. And by that I mean all of the more efficient ways we've devised to kill one another.

But religion? I see no contributed advancements. Though I'm certainly open to hearing them.

3. London
    Moves
    18 Mar '05 18:52
    Originally posted by wib
    There is no comparison. If you're talking about scientific advancements and achievements for mankind I believe we'd have to include everything. Technology, medicine, transportation, electronics, industrialisation, etc. The list goes on forever. Every advancement of mankind is in someway related to science. Including the horrible advancements. And by tha ...[text shortened]... t religion? I see no contributed advancements. Though I'm certainly open to hearing them.

Sure - laws and legal systems, literature, music, arts.
  4. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    18 Mar '05 19:151 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Sure - laws and legal systems, literature, music, arts.
    No. Those things aren't advancements brought about by religion. Isolated cases may have been "inspired" by religion. Such things as a beautiful painting, or a building perhaps, but religion didn't create them or advance them.

People have built some beautiful things in the name of god. They may even claim to be inspired by their love for god, but that doesn't advance our society. Example; finding a cure for polio was an advancement, painting a lovely picture is not. It's certainly nice to look at, but it doesn't make life easier, feed people, or solve any problem at all.

How has religion advanced mankind?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree