1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Mar '16 13:23
    Some Christian help me out to understand verse 10 -

"And concerning righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you no longer behold Me;"

In the three matters in which Jesus said the Spirit of reality will convict the world, how do you undertand the second? That is concerning righteousness because He goes to the Father and they will [physically] behold Him no longer ?

Any serious reply is welcomed.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Mar '16 14:44
    Okay, didn't we see that "another Comforter" is the first Comforter in "another" form ?

Jesus saying that He will send "another Comforter" to be with the disciples forever means Jesus is coming to them, not leaving them as orphans, to live IN them.

Now let's observe the transition. When did this second "another Comforter" enter into the disciples ? When did He actually make the transition of being WITH them to being IN them ?

See this in John 20 on the evening of His resurrection. Notice now how Jesus comforts the disciples and says twice "Peace be to you".

Watch. Watch particularly verse 19 and verse 21.

"When therefore it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and while the doors were shut where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst and said to them, Peace be to you. (v.19)

And when He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. The disciples therefore rejoiced at seeing the Lord. (v.20)

Then Jesus said to them again, Peace be to you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you. (v.21)

And when He had said this, He breathed into them and said to them, Receive the Holy Spirit." (v.22)

The Peacemaker stood in their midst and comforted them as before.
    Then this Prince of Peace breathed into them and told them to receive the Holy Spirit.

They received Jesus into them.
    They received "another Comforter" into their innermost being in this symbolic act.
    The Spirit of reality entered into them as Jesus breathed into them.

He imparted Himself into these early disciples in another form. He did not leave them as orphans. He came to them. He breathed into them the "pneumatic" Christ; the Christ in another form INTO them. They now must be trained to live by His unseen yet indwelling presence.

Praise God.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Mar '16 14:532 edits
    There is a difference between the Spirit coming as indwelling life in John 20 and the Spirit coming as power in Acts 2.

On Pentecost the Holy Spirit clothed the disciples as the Spirit for power for them to carrying out their Gospel work.

In John 20 the coming of the Spirit was not as a mighty outward rushing wind, but as the gentle breath out from Jesus. This was the imparting the divine life into the disciples for a new life.

" the last Adam [Christ] became a life giving Spirit." (1 Cor. 15:45)

Jesus fulfilled His promise in John 14 and 16 to send the Spirit of reality into the disciples. What happened at Pentecost was the fulfillment of the promise of the Father in Luke 24:49 to clothed them with spiritual power for gospel preaching.

"And that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

You are witnesses of these things.

And behold, I send forth the promise of My Father upon you; but as for you, stay in the city until you put on power from on high." (See Luke 24:47-49)

So you have a promise of the Father to clothed the disciples with power on the day of Pentecost.

And you have Jesus fulfill His promise in 14, 15, and 16 to come to the disciple to live IN them as the "life giving Spirit" He became - the "another Comforter".

This indwelling was the commencing of their living. Not a natural living which they derived from a natural birth, but a living in and through Christ the divine life in His resurrection state. He said because He would live in resurrection they would live also:

" I will not leave you as orphans; I am coming to you.

Yet a little while and the world beholds Me no longer; but you behold Me; BECAUSE I LIVE, YOU ALSO SHALL LIVE." (John 14:18,19)
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Mar '16 15:07
    When I was a younger Christian this verse did not make much sense to me. I thought to myself "What do you mean - 'because I live you shall live?' Why I will live regardless of whether you lived or not, Jesus."

Then I came to understand that this LIVING was not what Jesus meant. He meant the REAL living. That is the living with God indwelling one's innermost being. That God indwells us by means of the resurrected Jesus Christ.

"Because I live, you also shall live".

The Apostle Paul tells us to lay hold of the life which is really life, or which is life indeed:

" Laying away for themselves a good foundation as a treasure for the future, that they may lay hold on that which is really life." ( 1 Tim. 6:19)

"Fight the good fight of the faith; lay hold on the eternal life, to which you were called ..." (v.12)

We can REALLY live because Jesus Christ resurrected and can come to live in oneness with us.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree