1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 13:42
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Evolution has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt. There's is not a shred of evidence for the existence of a Godlike creator. Hence, whenever a question such as Robbie's appears, the correct answer is always evolution.
    I believe in evolution, and I believe in design, what I asked you was how
    do you know the difference by looking? I'd also point out that design does
    NOT automatically mean a Godlike creator, people design things all the
    time.
    Kelly
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 13:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Everybody knows God made planets. And the solar systems largest planets Saturn and Jupiter are primarily Hydrogen and Helium and not rock. 🙂
    I tried to give you both a thumbs up and a thumbs down for that post, but the stupid website will only allow me one of the two. I settled for the up, because I prefer to be positive.

Also, the second sentence was marginally clever 😉
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 14:02
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    time.
    Kelly
    I believe in evolution too, if it just means small changes over time, like adaptation to produce a variation in a kind. It is evilution (one kind changing into another kind) that I don't believe in. The different kinds are designed and created.

The Instructor
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 15:07
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe in evolution too, if it just means small changes over time, like adaptation to produce a variation in a kind. It is evilution (one kind changing into another kind) that I don't believe in. The different kinds are designed and created.

The Instructor
    So is the Katydid in question the same Kind as the other 6400 species of katydid or is it a kind on its own? If the former, then would you agree that its ears evolved?
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 15:11
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Why on earth does the pig in this link need two mouths and three eyes??

http://www.anorak.co.uk/206361/strange-but-true/pig-born-with-two-mouths-and-three-eyes.html/
    Because it has a high metabolism?
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 15:12
    time.
    Kelly
    You're a Young Earth Creationist who thinks the world is a few thousand years old, Genesis is literal, the story of the flood is real and that humans lived with dinosaurs. How can you possibly claim to 'believe in evolution'?

If you don't accept common descent then you can't possibly claim to believe in evolution.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 15:25
    An appropriate youtube link:
    True Facts About The Leaf Katydid
    YouTube
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 15:27
    How can you tell the difference between design and evolution?
    Kelly
    Find the designer.
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 17:02
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Because it has a high metabolism?
    For it's sake I hope it has two anuses as well.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 19:10
    time.
    Kelly
    Yes, people can design also, but you were talking specifically about evolution so I figured you didn't mean the human design of say a car or something. A fair assumption I think.

Anyway, while there is no definitive way of knowing the difference by looking, everyone's favorite wildlife animal, the giraffe (Ridiculous longneckus), is an interesting animal in this context. I'm sure you've heard of this before, but here's a link if you're interested: http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2010/06/22/the-laryngeal-nerve-of-the-gir/

Basically, if an animal was designed instead of evolved, why would it be designed in such an illogical fashion?

Why would organisms be designed in such a way that they would often get diseases such as cancer? Why would animals be designed with the need to eat other animals?

Why would the cat and dog both be designed as man's best friend, yet hate each others guts?
  11. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 22:09
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am referring to the main original definition. The new definition that some use today could mean anything because it is not specific. By the new definition any change over time is evolution. I am referring to Biology and Darwin's evilution as I call it.

The Instructor
    No you're not. The original meaning of the word is 'change over time'. Your definition seems to be 'change over time, but not so much that the object changing differs from the original form by more than some ill-defined amount'. I would like to see a link to any reputable dictionary that gives that kind of meaning!

Penguin
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 23:00
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    You're a Young Earth Creationist who thinks the world is a few thousand years old, Genesis is literal, the story of the flood is real and that humans lived with dinosaurs. How can you possibly claim to 'believe in evolution'?

If you don't accept common descent then you can't possibly claim to believe in evolution.
    You don't need common descent to have change within life.
    Kelly
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 23:02
    Originally posted by JS357
    Find the designer.
    Okay, so I need to know the designer before I know that something was
    designed?
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 23:57
    Okay, so I need to know the designer before I know that something was
    designed?
    Kelly
    The designer has to be identifiable (findable) from the evidence, not based on claims by someone else. Even so called eyewitnesses are unreliable, and there are none of them for this katydid.

Do you think you have found the designer? Why?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 01:19
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So is the Katydid in question the same Kind as the other 6400 species of katydid or is it a kind on its own? If the former, then would you agree that its ears evolved?
    I don't know much about the different kinds of insects or how they should be divided into kinds. But I believe this communication method is designed and not something that has been adapted over time. I believe since this is a design feature, then any Kaydid variety that does not have this ability is probably due to mutations that caused the loss rather than a gain.

The Instructor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree