Originally posted by menace71
What do you all think about the stories of people having near death experiences and seeing a great bright light?
In his 1975 book Life after Life, psychiatrist Raymond A Moody outlines nine elements that seem to occur generally but not universally in the NDE experiencers:
1. Hearing a buzzing or ringing noise while having a sense of being dead.At this initial stage of the NDE,the experiencers are confused and try,unsuccessfully,to communicate with other people at the scene of their death.
2. Peace and painlessness. While people are dying they may be in intense pain, but as soon as they leave the body the pain vanishes and they experience peace.
3. Out-of-body experience. NDEers often have the experience of rising up and ﬂoating above their own body surrounded by a medical team, and watching it down below, while feeling very detached and comfortable. They experience the feeling of being in a spiritual body that looks like a sort of living energy ﬁeld.
4. The tunnel experience. The NDEers then experience being drawn into darkness through a tunnel, at an extremely high speed, or going up a stairway (or some other symbol of crossing a threshold) until they achieve a realm of radiant goldenwhite light.
5. Rising rapidly into the heavens. Instead of a tunnel, some NDEers report an experience of rising suddenly into the heavens and seeing the earth and the celestial sphere as if they were astronauts in space.
6. People of light. Once on the other side of the tunnel,or after they have risen into the heavens, NDEers meet people who glow with an inner light. Often they ﬁnd that friends and relatives who have already died are there to greet them.
7. The Being of light. After connecting with these beings, NDEers meet a powerful, spiritual Being who some have referred to as an angel, God, or Jesus. Also, although NDEers sometimes report feeling scared, none feels that they either were on the way to hell or that they fell into it.
8. The life review. This higher Being presents NDEers with a panoramic review of everything they have done. In particular, they experience the effects of every act they have ever done to other people and come away feeling that love is the most important thing in life.
9. Reluctance to return. The higher Being sometimes says that the NDEer must return to life.In other experiences,the NDEer is given a choice of staying or returning. In either case,NDEers experience a reluctance to return. The people who choose to return do so only because of loved ones they do not wish to leave behind.