1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148459
    12 Nov '13 12:56
    My favorite verse in scripture is Genesis 15: 1 KJV

    "After these things the word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward."

    I can remember what I saw the first time I read this, I was so happy to
    find out that God Himself is our exceeding great reward. Not some house
    that is being built in heaven for us, not some Spiritual gift in this life, not
    even eternal life itself, but God himself.

    In this life time we see so many things that would have us desiring them
    over God, from other people, to things, to status, to many things in this life
    that will not last. Our families members come and go, our friends come
    and go, our positions can come and go, we are put up and down in status
    throughout life. We can look to so many things to satisfy our lives and give
    our lives meaning. All of this I'm sorry to say even my own reasons for
    picking Gen 15:1 has to do with what I can get out of God.

    So God when He reaches out to us does what, appeal to what we can get
    out of it, not so much, KJV John 19

    28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.

    29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.

    30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

    Jesus was stripped, beaten, hung up and killed for us laying down His life
    for us. Jesus died that He could pay for our sins, so He gives up His life
    for us.

    So when we look to Jesus we should NOT be looking for what we can get
    out of Him to make our lives better. The major concern we should have is
    not what we should be getting out of God, but can we honor Jesus, because
    He deserves it, as a reward for His suffering! We should be honoring Him
    with our lives, asking for lives that honor God. We should be forgiving as He
    has forgiven us, we should not be putting stumbling blocks in front of those
    that Jesus died for, He died for each of us, does He not deserve the reward
    for His suffering and shouldn't we be long suffering towards each other as
    God has been for us?
    Kelly
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    3061
    12 Nov '13 18:55
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    My favorite verse in scripture is Genesis 15: 1 KJV

    "After these things the word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward."

    I can remember what I saw the first time I read this, I was so happy to
    find out that God Himself is our exceeding great reward. Not some house
    that is be ...[text shortened]... suffering and shouldn't we be long suffering towards each other as
    God has been for us?
    Kelly
    I realize this is probably written to exhort believers, but....

    I cannot find any actual content to your prescription. What is the actual content contained in the idea of "honoring" Jesus? Honoring, in this sense, consists of what?
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148459
    12 Nov '13 20:03
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I realize this is probably written to exhort believers, but....

    I cannot find any actual content to your prescription. What is the actual content contained in the idea of "honoring" Jesus? Honoring, in this sense, consists of what?
    It is to look at life with Jesus in mind not ourselves. We can keep our focus
    upon ourselves we become self-centered. We can be easily manipulated by
    the cares of this world, if something could touch something we care about
    we can be made bitter, if someone harms us in word or deed we can
    become defensive and can look for revenge. Living life with Jesus Christ our
    hearts are not on what we get out of life, or on all the people and things we
    cherish in this life, but Christ. With our eyes on Him, no matter the storms
    in life He is with us, and our desires to help others are not based upon if we
    like or care about them, but if Jesus does, and Jesus died for each and
    every one of us. This isn’t something of just a pure mental head trick,
    Jesus Christ has to be a part of one’s life, His Spirit must be in you leading
    you, guiding you, no one can do this without God in their lives.
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    12 Nov '13 20:101 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I realize this is probably written to exhort believers, but....

    I cannot find any actual content to your prescription. What is the actual content contained in the idea of "honoring" Jesus? Honoring, in this sense, consists of what?
    Isn't it clear that we can honor Jesus with our lips. As the thread title states, we can honor Jesus by proclaiming Him Lord of all, the Creator of all, the King of the universe, our great God and Savior, and the One and only God Almighty. But greater than this is to honor Jesus by obeying His commandments.

    HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!

    The Instructor
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    3061
    12 Nov '13 22:342 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    It is to look at life with Jesus in mind not ourselves. We can keep our focus
    upon ourselves we become self-centered. We can be easily manipulated by
    the cares of this world, if something could touch something we care about
    we can be made bitter, if someone harms us in word or deed we can
    become defensive and can look for revenge. Living life with Jesus ...[text shortened]... must be in you leading
    you, guiding you, no one can do this without God in their lives.
    Kelly
    It is to look at life with Jesus in mind not ourselves.... Living life with Jesus Christ our
    hearts are not on what we get out of life, or on all the people and things we
    cherish in this life, but Christ.


    I'm not trying to be dense, but I still do not get it. What does it mean to "look at life with Jesus in mind"? And why would one want to do that? (By "want" here I am not talking about simple impulse or desire; I mean, what practical reasons would one have to suggest that to "look at life with Jesus in mind" is the right course of action? ) Also, why would one not want his heart to be on the people and things we cherish in life? We can have justifiable reasons to cherish such things, so why deny ourselves this? I don't get it.

    If you unpack this Jesus talk, does it just boil down to saying that to honor Jesus, one ought to strive to live in accordance with moral precepts putatively sourced from Jesus' teaching, or some such?
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    3061
    12 Nov '13 22:36
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Isn't it clear that we can honor Jesus with our lips. As the thread title states, we can honor Jesus by proclaiming Him Lord of all, the Creator of all, the King of the universe, our great God and Savior, and the One and only God Almighty. But greater than this is to honor Jesus by obeying His commandments.

    HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!

    The Instructor
    No it is not clear what is meant by "honor Jesus" in the context of this thread. Hence, my questions of clarification....
  7. Standard memberSoothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    Planet Rain
    Joined
    04 Mar '04
    Moves
    2437
    13 Nov '13 01:13
    Originally posted by LemonJello

    I'm not trying to be dense, but I still do not get it. What does it mean to "look at life with Jesus in mind"?
    Maybe it's something like, with everything you see, you ask yourself: Could the Romans have nailed him to that?

    Ferris wheel: all that truss work -- darn tootin' he'd stick to that!

    Mini blinds: not strong enough to support the weight of an alleged miracle-worker. FAIL.

    Ceiling fan: this one is tricky. If the fan were mounted in a stud, then switch it on and watch the show! Otherwise you'll need new drywall.

    Christmas tree: okay, size matters here. If it's the one on the White House lawn, it's a go. Residential size? No joy...
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148459
    13 Nov '13 05:49
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    It is to look at life with Jesus in mind not ourselves.... Living life with Jesus Christ our
    hearts are not on what we get out of life, or on all the people and things we
    cherish in this life, but Christ.


    I'm not trying to be dense, but I still do not get it. What does it mean to "look at life with Jesus in mind"? And why would one w ...[text shortened]... to live in accordance with moral precepts putatively sourced from Jesus' teaching, or some such?
    Like I told you, without God, it is impossible to do. You are just worried
    about the 'doing' the works of it. If you don't have God in your life you
    cannot walk out your life with Him.
    Kelly
  9. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    13 Nov '13 06:22
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Like I told you, without God, it is impossible to do. You are just worried
    about the 'doing' the works of it. If you don't have God in your life you
    cannot walk out your life with Him.
    Kelly
    So basically you know what is right and what is wrong, but you feel you are incapable of doing right unless you play mind games on yourself whilst denying that you are playing mind games.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    3061
    13 Nov '13 07:51
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Like I told you, without God, it is impossible to do. You are just worried
    about the 'doing' the works of it. If you don't have God in your life you
    cannot walk out your life with Him.
    Kelly
    You are just worried
    about the 'doing' the works of it.


    No, I am just worried about whether or not your ideas about right action in "honoring Jesus" have any actual discernable content. As far as I can tell, they do not; but I will check back on this thread's progress to see if I can get some clarification on that.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148459
    13 Nov '13 08:18
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    You are just worried
    about the 'doing' the works of it.


    No, I am just worried about whether or not your ideas about right action in "honoring Jesus" have any actual discernable content. As far as I can tell, they do not; but I will check back on this thread's progress to see if I can get some clarification on that.
    You will never see it looking on the outside in. The truth about God is
    that He is real, and He gives us His Spirit to lead us and guide us
    through life. Without the Spirit of God we are left with just the spirit
    of man who only knows the things of man which relies totally on his
    nature to deal with life, which as you know gives us things we see
    daily on the news. I cannot stress enough what Jesus Christ did
    for us, and how through Him we connect to our very Creator and
    Sustainer.
    Kelly
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    13 Nov '13 19:50
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Like I told you, without God, it is impossible to do. You are just worried
    about the 'doing' the works of it. If you don't have God in your life you
    cannot walk out your life with Him.
    Kelly
    What sort of things (general not specific) do you do in your life that you think I do not?

    What is the practical difference between a theist and an atheist?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35531
    13 Nov '13 22:55
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    It is to look at life with Jesus in mind not ourselves. We can keep our focus
    upon ourselves we become self-centered. We can be easily manipulated by
    the cares of this world, if something could touch something we care about
    we can be made bitter, if someone harms us in word or deed we can
    become defensive and can look for revenge. Living life with Jesus ...[text shortened]... must be in you leading
    you, guiding you, no one can do this without God in their lives.
    Kelly
    This is good and full and correct. I approve this message.

    Obvious trolling is obvious. I'm guessing LJ was just stalling until he could get the atheist troll train going. And they came, and they piled on.

    Same as it ever was.

    To you trolling atheists, I'm guessing Kelly started this thread with fellow Christians in mind. I'm also guessing it's not all that important whether you "get it" or not. You probably don't. So, rather than asking Kelly to explain what he means, even though since you people are writing in English I can only assume that you understand English, just say "I don't get it" and move on, don't constipate this thread with your unbelief.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    13 Nov '13 23:291 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    What sort of things (general not specific) do you do in your life that you think I do not?

    What is the practical difference between a theist and an atheist?
    One is trying to do better with the help of God, while the other is trying to do worse on his own.

    The Instructor
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    3061
    13 Nov '13 23:34
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This is good and full and correct. I approve this message.

    Obvious trolling is obvious. I'm guessing LJ was just stalling until he could get the atheist troll train going. And they came, and they piled on.

    Same as it ever was.

    To you trolling atheists, I'm guessing Kelly started this thread with fellow Christians in mind. I'm also guessing it's ...[text shortened]... English, just say "I don't get it" and move on, don't constipate this thread with your unbelief.
    Meh....I see you still have your undies in a bunch, wench.

    I already acknowledged that this thread is intended to exhort believers. But KJ was fine with indulging my questions concerning clarification about his statements (though he didn't actually provide any clarification).
Back to Top