1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 21:19
    A bible teacher told me ..."Out of most cultures, and in most languages, I have found something very interesting. When people swear or take the Lord's name in vain, it is usually JC! or GD...you never hear Budda damn, or Allah damn, etc..." He went on to tell me about satanic influence and it does not matter what language, Jesus and God are most popular. I know jokes will come, but it is an interesting truth. I have heard the same thing from missionaries, etc...what do you think? Ever hear of this before?
  2. The sky
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 21:34
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    A bible teacher told me ..."Out of most cultures, and in most languages, I have found something very interesting. When people swear or take the Lord's name in vain, it is usually JC! or GD...you never hear Budda damn, or Allah damn, etc..." He went on to tell me about satanic influence and it does not matter what language, Jesus and God are most popul ...[text shortened]... have heard the same thing from missionaries, etc...what do you think? Ever hear of this before?
    No, I have never heard of this and can neither verify nor disprove it. But there's a lot of emphasis on not using the Lord's name in vain in Christianity, and swear words are usually words people know they are not supposed to use, so it makes sense. By the way, you or your teacher used "GD" as an example - now that could refer to any god, not necessarily the Christian one.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 21:43
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    No, I have never heard of this and can neither verify nor disprove it. But there's a lot of emphasis on not using the Lord's name in vain in Christianity, and swear words are usually words people know they are not supposed to use, so it makes sense. By the way, you or your teacher used "GD" as an example - now that could refer to any god, not necessarily the Christian one.
    Good point.
  4. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 21:54
    A bible teacher told me ..."Out of most cultures, and in most languages, I have found something very interesting. When people swear or take the Lord's name in vain, it is usually JC! or GD...you never hear Budda damn, or Allah damn, etc..." He went on to tell me about satanic influence and it does not matter what language, Jesus and God are most popul ...[text shortened]... have heard the same thing from missionaries, etc...what do you think? Ever hear of this before?
    You're trying to say that in Arabic, or Chinese, Urdu, Hindi...or any non-Western language....they utter Jesus's name as an expletive? I seriously doubt that.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 01:44
    Originally posted by David C
    You're trying to say that in Arabic, or Chinese, Urdu, Hindi...or any non-Western language....they utter Jesus's name as an expletive? I seriously doubt that.
    I only know what I was told. True or not, I am looking for others who may have more light to shed on this. I was informed by someone that I respect, for his work as a missionary. He has, to the best of my knowledge, been truthful,honest and a man of brevity and is not the type of person who would make it up. I know he has been to the Philipines, Africa, and many other places, on mission work. You can take it for what it's worth, but it fits with God's enemy(satan) attacking the bible, God's commandments, and evil influence in the world.
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 03:521 edit
    And that's why this Bible teacher is an idiot.

He has no grasp of xtian church history or its influence on the development of Western Civ in the last 1800 years.

Suffice to say, go to India or any Muslim country, and your teacher will appear very foolish indeed.
  7. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 05:31
    No, I think it is just a fairy tale told in a vain attempt to give credence to a manmade religion.
    Ask your bible teacher to explain why your god deliberately creates people knowing beforehand that he will burn them in Hell eternally.
    Satanic influence????
    Didn't your god and Satan conspire together to torment Job?
    Even Satanists don't see Satan as a physical entity.
    Look for Truth not just silly reasons to believe in fairy tales.

In Love there is Life
    Angela
  8. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 11:26
    I only know what I was told.
    And that, my friends, was the funniest thing I read all night.
  9. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 13:05
    Originally posted by caissad4
    No, I think it is just a fairy tale told in a vain attempt to give credence to a manmade religion.
    Ask your bible teacher to explain why your god deliberately creates people knowing beforehand that he will burn them in Hell eternally.
    Satanic influence????
    Even Satanists don't see Satan as a ...[text shortened]... ook for Truth not just silly reasons to believe in fairy tales.

In Love there is Life
    Angela

Without any more proof, I'm afraid I can make the same claims about your statement.

Satanic influence????

Sigh.

Did God create mankind for hell? No.
    Did God create hell for mankind? No.
    Does God allow sin/evil in heaven? No.
    Do people have the freedom to choose what they like in life? Yes.
    Do these choices have consequences? Yes.

Are you saying that God should not create somebody because of the choices that person will make?

I would hardly call allowing something as conspiring.

Even Satanists don't see Satan as a physical entity.
    Of course, because they see him as a spiritual entity.

In Love there is Life
    Absolutely. Need I quote Jn 3:16. You'll find the personification of this entity there.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 13:46
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]No, I think it is just a fairy tale told in a vain attempt to give credence to a manmade religion.

Without any more proof, I'm afraid I can make the same claims about your statement.

Satanic influence???? ...[text shortened]... fe

Absolutely. Need I quote Jn 3:16. You'll find the personification of this entity there.[/b]
    Does God allow sin/evil in heaven? No.

Oh, really? Then why does god allow sin/evil on earth? Theists typically claim sin/evil is a result of mankind's free will. Are we then to assume that there is no free will in heaven?
  11. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 13:57
    Originally posted by rwingett
    [b]Does God allow sin/evil in heaven? No.

Oh, really? Then why does god allow sin/evil on earth? Theists typically claim sin/evil is a result of mankind's free will. Are we then to assume that there is no free will in heaven?[/b]
    Oh, really? Then why does god allow sin/evil on earth?

Because earth is not heaven and heaven is not earth. Two different entities. Two different sets of rules.

Theists typically claim sin/evil is a result of mankind's free will. Are we then to assume that there is no free will in heaven?

I'd assume there will be free will in heaven, because those who are there, chose to be there.
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 18:591 edit
    I'd assume there will be free will in heaven, because those who are there, chose to be there.

So it is possible for God to create beings who both have free will and choose to serve him. Therefore in response to one of your previous questions, yes, God should only create those beings he knows will choose to serve him. To deliberately create beings that he is certain will spend eternity in Hell is evil to the greatest possible degree.

If God is so great, he should have only made people who would use their free will to serve him in the first place. Then we wouldn't have all these problems.
  13. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 19:07
    Originally posted by rwingett
    [b]Does God allow sin/evil in heaven? No.

Oh, really? Then why does god allow sin/evil on earth? Theists typically claim sin/evil is a result of mankind's free will. Are we then to assume that there is no free will in heaven?[/b]
    God has His express will and His permissive will. Sin is man's will? Is Lucifer a man?
  14. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 19:24
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]Oh, really? Then why does god allow sin/evil on earth?

Because earth is not heaven and heaven is not earth. Two different entities. Two different sets of rules.

Theists typically claim sin/evil is a result of mankind's free will. Are we then to assume that there is no free will in heaven?

I'd assume there will be free will in heaven, because those who are there, chose to be there.[/b]
    So, is it logically possible that a human in Heaven could choose to do evil? If so, would God allow it? If not, then what are His reasons for allowing it on Earth?
  15. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 19:37
    Originally posted by telerion
    [b]I'd assume there will be free will in heaven, because those who are there, chose to be there.

So it is possible for God to create beings who both have free will and choose to serve him. Therefore in response to one of your previous questions, yes, God should only create those beings he knows will choose to serve him. To deliberately create bein ...[text shortened]... use their free will to serve him in the first place. Then we wouldn't have all these problems.[/b]
    Therefore in response to one of your previous questions, yes, God should only create those beings he knows will choose to serve him.

Everybody should have their fair shot.

To deliberately create beings that he is certain will spend eternity in Hell is evil to the greatest possible degree.

Once again, you're blaming God for your own decisions. Get real.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree