Typical 8 year old!
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    19 Sep '05 12:01
    Originally posted by Nicolaas
    Typical 8 year old!
    Well, it may not have been one of Bennett's most constructive replies, but your post really deserves no better. I can't see how you could have read this thread and then submitted your post. It is clear that you have only a very vague and distorted knowledge of any other religion than your own. Your knowledge of film is only slightly better formed. I have no idea where you got the 99% figure (likely some sort of proctology was involved). Using a deity's name as a form of curse or oath was common long before anybody heard of Jesus Christ. Only perhaps among very indoctrinated children does saying God or Jesus Christ as a curse give them a sense of rebellious pride.

For Chrissake, most of us just don't give a goddamn.
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    19 Sep '05 18:46
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I'm not sure you were around for this discussion, but you may be interested in the following:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=21886
    Thanks. It took me quite a while to read through. Very interesting. Personally I'd reject the GAFE on grounds of God not being omnibenevolent. If God was omnibenevolent, man would have no free will, there would be no hell or suffering and we would have nothing to worry about; Heaven for all!

P.S. Still working on my rebuttal to Tel. (Actually, I just haven't had the time).
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    19 Sep '05 18:47
    Originally posted by telerion
    Well, it may not have been one of Bennett's most constructive replies, but your post really deserves no better. I can't see how you could have read this thread and then submitted your post. It is clear that you have only a very vague and distorted knowledge of any other religion than your own. Your knowledge of film is only slightly better formed. I h ...[text shortened]... give them a sense of rebellious pride.

For Chrissake, most of us just don't give a goddamn.
    However, there are some of us who actually do give a d@mn.
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    19 Sep '05 18:49
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Thanks. It took me quite a while to read through. Very interesting. Personally I'd reject the GAFE on grounds of God not being omnibenevolent. If God was omnibenevolent, man would have no free will, there would be no hell or suffering and we would have nothing to worry about; Heaven for all!

P.S. Still working on my rebuttal to Tel. (Actually, I just haven't had the time).
    Hey no worries. I'm super busy too. It's actually bad habit and lack of discipline that make write these long-winded responses.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    19 Sep '05 19:05
    Jesus Christ, you're a goddamn idiot!
    That doesn't rhyme.
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    19 Sep '05 19:061 edit
    The professional philosopher strikes again.

Get yerself an education.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    19 Sep '05 19:14
    Why should it matter that Heaven and Earth are different dimensions (if that is, in fact, the case)? God is no less present in this dimension than in Heaven, correct? It is not as if God's power or knowledge or goodness is constrained on Earth because He resides in Heaven. The point is simply this: If it a function of God's properties that He would not a ...[text shortened]... on Earth. So, God is remiss in His moral obligations on Earth. So, God is not morally perfect.
    The god you are constantly talking about doesn't exist Bbarr.

Give it a rest.
  10. The sky
    Moves
    19 Sep '05 19:16
    Originally posted by echecero
    Buddhism does not concern itself with gods, but rather the continual cycle of rebirth. (A few branches, especially the Japanese Shintoism, have attributed the Buddha to being a god, but Buddhist teachings in general maintain that he was a man like any other who was enlightened.)
    Are you saying Shintoism is a branch of Buddhism? It's true that Buddhism has had an influence on Shintoism or some branches of it, and elements of both have mingled. But they are initially separate religions (although it's possible to be a Buddhist and a Shintoist at the same time).

I would have to ask my Japanese sister-in-law about the use (or abuse) of religious words in Japanese. I haven't encountered that, but my Japanese is very basic, and you usually don't learn much about swearing in language classes.
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    19 Sep '05 19:20
    I alerted your post for violating the ToS
  12. Joined
    15 Jul '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '05 20:49
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Are you saying Shintoism is a branch of Buddhism? It's true that Buddhism has had an influence on Shintoism or some branches of it, and elements of both have mingled. But they are initially separate religions (although it's possible to be a Buddhist and a Shintoist at the same time).

I would have to ask my Japanese sister-in-law about the use (or abuse) ...[text shortened]... my Japanese is very basic, and you usually don't learn much about swearing in language classes.
    I was refering to the belief by many modern followers of Shintoism that the Buddha was one of the Kami, or nature deities.

"Entering the medieval ages, emperors and Shinto lost the reigning power and the nation was gradually controlled by the military rulers. The process of blending Buddhism with Shinto progressed, and in the Heian Period (794-1185) Shinto deities came to be recognized as incarnation of the Lord Buddha. The case in point was emerging of the syncretic school that combined Shinto with the teachings of the Shingon sect Buddhism. The basis of the school's belief was that Shinto deities were manifestation of Buddha divinities."
    [from http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~QM9T-KNDU/shintoism.htm ]
  13. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    19 Sep '05 21:03
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    I alerted your post for violating the ToS
    The inquisition continues
  14. The sky
    Moves
    19 Sep '05 21:09
    Originally posted by echecero
    I was refering to the belief by many modern followers of Shintoism that the Buddha was one of the Kami, or nature deities.

"Entering the medieval ages, emperors and Shinto lost the reigning power and the nation was gradually controlled by the military rulers. The process of blending Buddhism with Shinto progressed, and in the Heian Period (794-1185) Sh ...[text shortened]... nifestation of Buddha divinities."
    [from http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~QM9T-KNDU/shintoism.htm ]
    Are there really many modern followers who still hold that belief? That site you quote seems to suggest otherwise (so does my encyclopaedia, for what it's worth):

"In the Kamakura Period (1185-1333), however, Shinto was emancipated from the Buddhism domination by the military dictators, and Shintoist claimed that Shinto divinities were not incarnation of the Buddha but that Buddha himself was rather manifestation of Shinto deities." (...) "After the Meiji Imperial Restoration of 1868, the Emperor restored the sovereignty, and the new government institutionalized Shinto as the official state religion while implementing restrictive policies against Buddhism and other religions including Christianity. Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine had to remove or thrown away all of its structures and objects associated with Buddhism."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree