The main cause of hatred in the world is religion.

The main cause of hatred in the world is religion.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
22 Dec 21

I rest my case …….

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
22 Dec 21

@pianoman1 said
I rest my case …….
Umm, don't you have to make a case, before you can rest it?

Moves
22 Dec 21

I’d say it was human nature. Everything else is just excuses.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Dec 21

@pianoman1 said
I rest my case …….
Those that have one, or from those that hate it?

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
22 Dec 21

@bigdogg said
Umm, don't you have to make a case, before you can rest it?
Theoretically, yes. But the statement is so self-evidently true, even to hard-headed fundamentalist YEC’s, that nothing more needs to be said.

However, a possible case is:

*Religions force us to love someone who we fear - the essence of sado-masochism. A master/slave relationship.
*Religions are designed to inculcate a spirit of holier-than-thou one-upmanship by separating the saved from the doomed.
*Religions all claim to be the one and only true word of God.
*The appalling truth of religions is they all claim ownership of LOVE and MORALITY, as if these two virtues are denied the atheist.

Moves
22 Dec 21

@pianoman1 said
But the statement is so self-evidently true
No it's not.

Moves
22 Dec 21

@pianoman1 said
But the statement is so self-evidently true
I disproved that with my first post.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
22 Dec 21

@divegeester said
I disproved that with my first post.
Yes, Divegeester, you’re right, It’s human nature, but human nature used, manipulated and twisted by the demands of religion.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
22 Dec 21

@pianoman1 said
Yes, Divegeester, you’re right, It’s human nature, but human nature used, manipulated and twisted by the demands of religion.
Human nature has an evil side and will use any excuse for hatred. Religion provides the best justification for hatred because it can be manipulated to make the hatred appear as spiritually justified. So in that sense you are correct. But any excuse will do,... race, skin colour, cultural differences, sexual orientation, economic status.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
22 Dec 21

@rajk999 said
Human nature has an evil side and will use any excuse for hatred. Religion provides the best justification for hatred because it can be manipulated to make the hatred appear as spiritually justified. So in that sense you are correct. But any excuse will do,... race, skin colour, cultural differences, sexual orientation, economic status.
My thread calls Religion the MAIN cause of hatred. Yes, all the things you mention can also elicit hate, but not in the titanic scale of Religion.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
22 Dec 21

@kevin-eleven said
No it's not.
Yes, it is.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
22 Dec 21

@pianoman1 said
My thread calls Religion the MAIN cause of hatred. Yes, all the things you mention can also elicit hate, but not in the titanic scale of Religion.
We agree.

Moves
22 Dec 21

@pianoman1 said
Theoretically, yes. But the statement is so self-evidently true, even to hard-headed fundamentalist YEC’s, that nothing more needs to be said.

However, a possible case is:

*Religions force us to love someone who we fear - the essence of sado-masochism. A master/slave relationship.
*Religions are designed to inculcate a spirit of holier-than-thou one-upmanship by se ...[text shortened]... ns is they all claim ownership of LOVE and MORALITY, as if these two virtues are denied the atheist.
This doesn’t make a supporting case for your OP either I’m afraid. It’s a reasonable effort at a case to state religions are destructive, but not that they are the root of all evil.

Moves
22 Dec 21

@pianoman1 said
Religion can be horrible and you might make a case that most religions are in some way horrible, but I don’t feel that it is self evident that they are the main cause of the hatred in the world.

What about politics? The deleterious hate enabling impact of the internet and social media?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Dec 21

@pianoman1 said
People use whatever they can to justify their hate; they use whatever they can to justify their selves. It is no different from gun violence; it isn't the gun; it is the person using it. People at their core will justify hate, greed, any form of selfishness using whatever is convenient. If the heart of man wasn't inclined to these things, it wouldn't matter one way or another, but it is. The thing we all need to be aware of is we can become the very things we hate if we are not careful, someone who hates another race because of the things people of that race have done in the past can then turn into a racist themselves. People who see the hate within some religions can then become haters of religions; when we worry about the speck in someone else's eye, we can miss the log on our own.