The Moment of Truth

The Moment of Truth

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dsR

Big D

Moves
31 Jul 08

According to a new article in The Economist, in many parts of the world, the right to change one's beliefs is under threat. Debate: If a religion (or country) is to be taken seriously, should there be an option to opt out or convert without fear of death, imprisonment, loss of job, etc.?

http://www.economist.com/world/international/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11784873

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
31 Jul 08
2 edits

Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
According to a new article in The Economist, in many parts of the world, the right to change one's beliefs is under threat. Debate: If a religion (or country) is to be taken seriously, should there be an option to opt out or convert without fear of death, imprisonment, loss of job, etc.?

Without it, there is no freedom of religious belief.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
31 Jul 08
1 edit

Debate: If a religion (or country) is to be taken seriously, should there be an option to opt out or convert without fear of death, imprisonment, loss of job, etc.?
I have formulated a compromise between the Muslim propensity to dismember people, treat infidelity as a capital crime and generally take an abhorrent approach to criminal justice, and the Christian doctrine of repeated forgiveness. Malaysia should adopt the following system:

1) Each person is born into a particular religion, and is also born with ten fingers.

2) Each time a person changes religion while still in possession of at least one finger, one of his fingers shall be severed using a crude instrument in a public ceremony, but then he shall be forgiven for changing and allowed to practice his new relgion without further constraint.

3) Whenever a person changes religion after having all of his fingers severed, his head shall be shall be severed using a crude instrument in a public ceremony, and his family shall be forgiven for his crimes of infidelity.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
31 Jul 08

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
I have formulated a compromise between the Muslim propensity to dismember people, treat infidelity as a capital crime and generally take an abhorrent approach to criminal justice, and the Christian doctrine of repeated forgiveness. Malaysia should adopt the following system:

1) Each person is born into a particular religion, and is also born wit ...[text shortened]... instrument in a public ceremony, and his family shall be forgiven for his crimes of infidelity.
blessed are the peace makers!😕

s

At the Revolution

Moves
31 Jul 08

Would you look at that. DSR's in Spirituality too. 😠

No country can be taken seriously that forces its beliefs onto others. Which is why the US is ridiculous.

d

Moves
13 Jul 09

Originally posted by scherzo
Would you look at that. DSR's in Spirituality too. 😠

No country can be taken seriously that forces its beliefs onto others. Which is why the US is ridiculous.
No the U.S does NOT force it's beliefs on other people that's what's good about it.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
13 Jul 09

Originally posted by daniel58
No the U.S does NOT force it's beliefs on other people that's what's good about it.
So, we didn't just force 'democracy' on Iraq and Afghanistan?

P

Moves
13 Jul 09

Originally posted by SwissGambit
So, we didn't just force 'democracy' on Iraq and Afghanistan?
You could tell they wanted it from their body language and the "come hither" looks that they were giving us.

d

Moves
14 Jul 09

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
You could tell they wanted it from their body language and the "come hither" looks that they were giving us.
Right so if they come and bomb us and threaten us then that's good to help them create a stable government.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
14 Jul 09

Right so if they come and bomb us and threaten us then that's good to help them create a stable government.
1) Iraq didn't.
2) Afghanistan didn't really do it, either. The perps were mostly Saudis.
3) LOL at the word 'help' - I guess dropping tons of bombs on a country is now considered 'helpful' for the Christian Right nowadays.

bizarro-help verb
1. The act of assisting people after first bombing the crap out of them.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
14 Jul 09
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
1) Iraq didn't.
2) Afghanistan didn't really do it, either. The perps were mostly Saudis.
3) LOL at the word 'help' - I guess dropping tons of bombs on a country is now considered 'helpful' for the Christian Right nowadays.

[b]bizarro-help
verb
1. The act of assisting people after first bombing the crap out of them.[/b]
It is Christian tradition. Who gave history the Crusades and the Inquisition? And who can forget the Christian Spaniards committing genocide in the Americas? 🙄

d

Moves
14 Jul 09

1. I'm talking about terrorists in general.

2. We had to take it over first before we controlled it.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
15 Jul 09

1. I'm talking about terrorists in general.

2. We had to take it over first before we controlled it.
now you are showing more of your true colours ,Daniel. If you are going to be serious about this spirituality thing,(as indeed you seem to be), You are going to have to leave that 'controlling' attitude behind. Better to be killed for the right reasons than die trying to fight for the wromg ones!

d

Moves
15 Jul 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
now you are showing more of your true colours ,Daniel. If you are going to be serious about this spirituality thing,(as indeed you seem to be), You are going to have to leave that 'controlling' attitude behind. Better to be killed for the right reasons than die trying to fight for the wromg ones!
AMERICA CONTROLS IRAQ, I didn't say I controlled anything, or anybody with no "controlling attitude".

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
16 Jul 09

AMERICA CONTROLS IRAQ, I didn't say I controlled anything, or anybody with no "controlling attitude".
Cool. I believe you.