1. London
    Moves
    15 Apr '06 00:27
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    The Doctor. Apparently, this thread is his open flame, and you and Freaky are his marshmallows.

Don't worry, hammer. The pity I hold for your plight is nothing compared to other cases out there -- Bruno, for example.
    I'd forgotten about Scrib's "poll". Maybe I'm too old for "Everyone who thinks X is so uncool, please raise your hand" games.

Perhaps the pity you hold for Bruno is comparable to the pity you hold for, say, the Holocaust victims?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '06 00:511 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Everyone who thinks X is so uncool, please raise your hand
    http://www.satribune.com/archives/jun13_19_04/inset_najm.jpg

😉
  3. London
    Moves
    15 Apr '06 01:12
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Bruno will out live the RCC!!!
    I don't think so.

Bruno is nothing but a stick to beat the Church with. What are his enduring contributions to philosophy? Or mathematics? Or science?

If the RCC dies, then you can be sure Bruno will soon be forgotten as well.
  4. London
    Moves
    15 Apr '06 01:12
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    http://www.satribune.com/archives/jun13_19_04/inset_najm.jpg

😉
    LOL 🙂)
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '06 01:162 edits
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Bruno will out live the RCC!!!
    He is one martyr whose name should lead all the rest. He was not a mere religious sectarian who was caught up in the psychology of some mob hysteria. He was a sensitive, imaginative poet, fired with the enthusiasm of a larger vision of a larger universe ... and he fell into the error of heretical belief. For this poets vision he was kept in a dark dungeon for eight years and then taken out to a blazing market place and roasted to death by fire.

It is an incredible story.....

The "Church" will never outlive him.

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/john_kessler/giordano_bruno.html

gil
  6. Argentina
    Moves
    15 Apr '06 01:221 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    No, but that's an entailment of the fact that the contradictory set of sentences in your posts has only one member.
    omg, if you were deprived from using words (and their derivates) such as

entail
    logic
    set
    categoric
    modal
    monotonic
    axiom
    true
    false
    contradiction
    predicate
    proposition
    definition
    etx., etc.

our life should be a lot more simple... 😀

but I fear that your posts should be more extense and boring, 'cos you can always find the way to circunvent this restriction... :'(

Don't take ofense, I'm only just kidding!
    LOL!

- Julia

EDIT:
    But I'm seriously considering to suggest Russ to add that words (and a lot more) to the set of words considered as "profanity" by Robby the Mod... 😛
  7. Argentina
    Moves
    15 Apr '06 03:063 edits
    Originally posted by CrazyLilTing
    omg, if you were deprived from using words (and their derivates) such as (...)
    e.g. (from your last post):

"No, but that's an entailment of the fact that the contradictory set of sentences in your posts has only one member.

it would be reduced to:

"No,. but that's an of the that the of in your posts has only one."

Which makes more sense, at least to me...
    😛

LOL

- J
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    15 Apr '06 09:26
    Originally posted by gentlegil
    He is one martyr whose name should lead all the rest. He was not a mere religious sectarian who was caught up in the psychology of some mob hysteria. He was a sensitive, imaginative poet, fired with the enthusiasm of a larger vision of a larger universe ... and he fell into the error of heretical belief. For this poets vision he was kept in a dark dungeon ...[text shortened]... e him.

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/john_kessler/giordano_bruno.html

gil
    "This entire globe, this star, not being subject to death, and dissolution and annihilation being impossible anywhere in Nature, from time to time renews itself by changing and altering all its parts. There is no absolute up or down, as Aristotle taught; no absolute position in space; but the position of a body is relative to that of other bodies. Everywhere there is incessant relative change in position throughout the universe, and the observer is always at the center of things." .....Bruno
    Very modern scientific poetry wasn't it.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Apr '06 18:20

entail
    logic
    set
    categoric
    modal
    monotonic
    axiom
    true
    false
    contradiction
    predicate
    proposition
    definition
    etx., etc.

but I fear that your posts should be more extense and boring, 'cos you can always find the way to ...[text shortened]... ds (and a lot more) to the set of words considered as "profanity" by Robby the Mod... 😛
    Nice list, but you're missing some of the juicier jargon words:

nomological
    normative
    epistemic
    compatibilist

etc.
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    15 Apr '06 19:25

entail
    logic
    set
    categoric
    modal
    monotonic
    axiom
    true
    false
    contradiction
    predicate
    proposition
    definition
    etx., etc.

but I fear that your posts should be more extense and boring, 'cos you can always find the way to ...[text shortened]... ds (and a lot more) to the set of words considered as "profanity" by Robby the Mod... 😛
    You've never been a member of the set that comprises my intended audience. Wheat and chaff and all that...
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Apr '06 19:35
    I don't think so.

Bruno is nothing but a stick to beat the Church with. What are his enduring contributions to philosophy? Or mathematics? Or science?

If the RCC dies, then you can be sure Bruno will soon be forgotten as well.
    Perhaps his contributions would have been greater if he wasn't thrown in a dungeon for eight years and then murdered by fanatics.
  12. London
    Moves
    15 Apr '06 23:43
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Perhaps his contributions would have been greater if he wasn't thrown in a dungeon for eight years and then murdered by fanatics.
    Or perhaps we would simply have seen more of the same from him as he did in the 16 years before he was imprisoned:

http://www.esotericarchives.com/bruno/home.htm

As I said before, Bruno's just a stick to beat the RCC with.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Apr '06 23:561 edit
    Or perhaps we would simply have seen more of the same from him as he did in the 16 years before he was imprisoned:

http://www.esotericarchives.com/bruno/home.htm

As I said before, Bruno's just a stick to beat the RCC with.
    You're sick. A man is murdered by your holy church and you don't even have the common decency to express any sympathy at all. Many of his ideas were far ahead of his time. Of course, his influence was cut down a bit by the RCC banning his books for about 300 years.

And he is a symbol of a man who died rather than bow to tyrants and recant his beliefs. You sometimes pay lip service to others who did this, but show only contempt for those who did so to your monster Church. Hypocrite.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Apr '06 00:32
    You're sick. A man is murdered by your holy church and you don't even have the common decency to express any sympathy at all. Many of his ideas were far ahead of his time. Of course, his influence was cut down a bit by the RCC banning his books for about 300 years.

And he is a symbol of a man who died rather than bow to tyrants and recant his bel ...[text shortened]... s who did this, but show only contempt for those who did so to your monster Church. Hypocrite.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait a tic. This was supposed to be about me and LH. Don't you dare try to turn this into a debate about something as historically petty as the Roman Catholic Church. Where is your sense of values, man?
  15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    16 Apr '06 00:40

And he is a symbol of a man who died rather than bow to tyrants and recant his bel ...[text shortened]... s who did this, but show only contempt for those who did so to your monster Church. Hypocrite.
    Regardless of the quality of Bruno's ideas, his story shows exactly why there should be a separation between church and state.
    The fact is that both his cosmology and his philosophy were far more advanced than the god only knows crap of the RCC and that sadly, still is the case.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree