1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Jun '13 03:12
    Who has been the most influential on your spiritual life?

Does anyone actually think that Jesus or any other popular spiritual 'guru' has directly influenced their lives? (despite being physically absent)

For me it has been a female friend originally who seemed to live spiritual values, but never really talk about them in any length. Her life was an excellent example of how one can balance spiritual values with actual real life problems in the here and now. I believe I was not the only one she 'moved' without really trying to.
    Also when I met 'Geshe La' ("doctor of divinity" ), a 20 year old Tibetan Buddhist monk who travelled abroad and had all his airfares,accomadation,etc. payed for by his followers to teach Tibetan Buddhism to all who were interested.
    He more than surpassed my expectations and tore apart any pre-conceived ideas I or anyone else may have had about Tibetan Buddhism.
    However I met him only three times, twice at his meditation sessions and once randomly at my monk friends place.

After these two came a male friend who was my peer who turned my whole life upside down and inside out only to reveal that so many of my understandings about spiritual life were not always right and often inconclusive. I felt as though he loved me as much as anyone, including my mum, although this love was shown in a very different manner than I was accustomed to.
    To this day he is the one person whose opinion I would value above anyone elses, and if by chance I should find him again, I would not hesitate to give him the full respect and honest reflection as I would to the most wisest and powerful of any spiritual instructor.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Jun '13 04:01
    My parents were the physical influance with spiritual guideance who I love will all my heart and can never repay them for all they've done.
    My God Jehovah is beyond explaining with any words known to man for his love and wisdom beyond anything we as humans can comprehend. He even allowed his only begotten son Jesus to lower himself and come to earth to be treated as a common criminal and suffer a horrible death for us all to have a chance to the real life Jehovah has planed for us on a clean earth both physically and spiritually.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Jun '13 04:07
    Originally posted by galveston75
    My parents were the physical influance with spiritual guideance who I love will all my heart and can never repay them for all they've done.
    My God Jehovah is beyond explaining with any words known to man for his love and wisdom beyond anything we as humans can comprehend. He even allowed his only begotten son Jesus to lower himself and come to earth to ...[text shortened]... ce to the real life Jehovah has planed for us on a clean earth both physically and spiritually.
    So no others have influenced your life?

Did you take after your parents by becoming a Witness?

I guess it goes without saying that your god has influenced your life, same goes with most parents to a degree. I guess I was just trying to see if any other people had gained your trust enough to let them influence your spiritual life. Thanks for answering 🙂
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Jun '13 05:561 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel

Does anyone actually think that Jesus or any other popular spiritual 'guru' has directly influenced their lives? (despite being physically absent)

For me it has been a female friend originally who seemed to live spiritual values, but never really talk about them in any length. Her life was onest reflection as I would to the most wisest and powerful of any spiritual instructor.
    My brother Tom, 14 years older than me, is probably the most influential, since be taught me to question before believing. In the world of literature, Alan Watts (The Book) and Sheldon Kopp (What Took You So Long?) and Homer Smith (Man and His Gods), and Mark Twain (The Mysterious Stranger) and the book of Job. I have met no one who who would be on this list, so far.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Jun '13 06:57

For me it has been a female friend originally who seemed to live spiritual values, but never really talk about them in any length. Her life was ...[text shortened]... onest reflection as I would to the most wisest and powerful of any spiritual instructor.
    A man called Arthur Burt.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Jun '13 14:12

For me it has been a female friend originally who seemed to live spiritual values, but never really talk about them in any length. Her life was ...[text shortened]... onest reflection as I would to the most wisest and powerful of any spiritual instructor.
    Unfortunately I have never been able to hold any man in such high regard that I allow them to influence my spiritual life so my answer is

1Ti_2:5 .. one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jun '13 14:40
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Unfortunately I have never been able to hold any man in such high regard that I allow them to influence my spiritual life so my answer is

1Ti_2:5 .. one mediator between God and men, [b]the man Christ Jesus
    [/b]
    Yes, and the Holy Spirit.

The Instructor
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Jun '13 15:07
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Yes, and the Holy Spirit.

The Instructor
    Of course. Its one package .. God, Christ and the Holy Spirit. One in purpose but separate and distinct entities and not equal. God is the head and Christ is under God. The Holy Spirit is the power of God dispensed into man as and when God deems it fit to do so.
  9. Standard memberempovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    Moves
    17 Jun '13 16:30
    no one

closest thing would be folks forcing their way of life upon others
    we should be thankful we live in a seemingly free society
    its just annoying to see self righteous mongrels implement their god
    into everyday life just to control people into their will
    as if they were demigods - having some ridiculous notion
    that god approves that they took matters into their own hands
    without letting god do the real works

seems so immature and insecure that they cannot rely on faith alone
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jun '13 17:592 edits
    Well, everyone should be able to tell that I am not one of those self righteous ones, for I definitely need the righteosnes of Christ, since it is clear I have no righteousness of my own.

The Instructor
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Jun '13 19:47
    Is everyone sure that they have not "passed over" possible interdimensional masters posing as street bums??
  12. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 00:53
    My Lithuanian grandmother influenced me more than any other. I can still envision her wagging her finger at me and warning me not to judge anyone by the way they appeared, instead to look into their heart.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 18:07
    Originally posted by Rajk999

1Ti_2:5 .. one mediator between God and men, [b]the man Christ Jesus
    [/b]
    What about children?
    Have you not heard any wisdom coming from young kids or are you ageist or biased in some other way and therefore dismiss any truth coming from others who do not conform to what you expect to learn from a 'wise teacher'?

I called this "the most influential" but in truth I've had several dozen people influence my perception of truth and a general understanding of spirituality.

After all, I reckon the answers that a lot of us are searching for can be found in fellow humans, who surely hold the key, if anyone, as to what is true and what is important to the individual, who in turn can pass on wisdom to a more contemporary audience, putting their own slant on it.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Jun '13 01:09
    Undoubtedly, my sorority sister Beth, who lifted the veil from my eyes and brought me to Jesus Christ in college.

I mean, I already had a faith in God and the angels in a sort of Hebrew way, but it was Beth who answered my questions and showed me a better way to live with Jesus at the forefront. Prior to this, I had been to church and believed in God, but it was never made clear to me why one must be 'born again' and receive Jesus personally in order to be saved, until Beth took me under her wing. Beth died in 1998 in a vicious sexual assault and I miss her a lot. She taught me what Faith was all about and I still try to follow her example of living daily in Jesus.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '13 05:46
    [b]Who has been the most influential on your spiritual life?
    Well that would have to be none other than the most interesting person alive.

Stay thirsty my friends. 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree