1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 23:311 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I think when Jesus said "on this rock I will build my church" He was speaking of Himself, not Peter. Jesus is the head of the church not Peter or the earth.

Eph 1:22-23
    22 And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church,
    23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.
    (NKJ)

Eph 5:23
    ...[text shortened]... head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.
    (NKJ)
    It constantly amazes me that the so-called "Christians" on this site continually disregard Jesus' explicit words. Here's Matthew 16:16-19:

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jonah: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father who is in heaven.

18 And I also say unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

19 I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Read it! "Jesus answered and SAID UNTO HIM" and "Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my church". And "I will give UNTO THEE the keys of the kingdom of heaven".

The meaning is absolutely clear that Peter is to be the head of Jesus' church. The idea that Jesus was referring to himself as "this rock" is patently absurd.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Nov '05 01:46
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It constantly amazes me that the so-called "Christians" on this site continually disregard Jesus' explicit words. Here's Matthew 16:16-19:

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jonah: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it un ...[text shortened]... esus' church. The idea that Jesus was referring to himself as "this rock" is patently absurd.
    Peter = 4074 Petros (pet'-ros);

apparently a primary word; a (piece of) rock

Rock = 4073 petra (pet'-ra);

feminine of the same as 4074; a (mass of) rock (literally or figuratively):

KJV-- rock.

This is from my interlinear PC study bible.
    As an unbeliever and as expected you do not engage in real biblical research.
    😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree