1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    05 May '15 16:091 edit
    Is it not a little odd that Christianity has become a religion largely of Gentiles, when Jesus said he intended to offer Gentiles nothing? (Or have i misunderstood?)

Matthew 10:5 seems to show Jesus giving his disciples firm instructions to “go nowhere among the Gentiles.” And In Matthew 15:21-28, when a woman who was indisputably a Gentile asked for healing for her daughter, Jesus initially ignored her, before finally telling her he was sent “only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” He then made clear that he considered her as a Gentile to be no better than a dog, adding that it wasn’t fair for dogs to receive food intended for children. Only when she pointed out that even dogs eat crumbs from their masters’ table did Jesus praise her for her faith and give her the help she wanted.
  2. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    05 May '15 16:25
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Is it not a little odd that Christianity has become a religion largely of Gentiles, when Jesus said he intended to offer Gentiles nothing? (Or have i misunderstood?)

Matthew 10:5 seems to show Jesus giving his disciples firm instructions to “go nowhere among the Gentiles.” And In Matthew 15:21-28, when a woman who was indisputably a Gentile asked ...[text shortened]... s from their masters’ table did Jesus praise her for her faith and give her the help she wanted.
    Not when you realise that Jesus did not invent Christianity anyway - Paul did that after his death. Conversely, of course, it was Christians following Paul who wrote the Gospels and so it may need clarification.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 May '15 17:04

Matthew 10:5 seems to show Jesus giving his disciples firm instructions to “go nowhere among the Gentiles.” And In Matthew 15:21-28, when a woman who was indisputably a Gentile asked ...[text shortened]... s from their masters’ table did Jesus praise her for her faith and give her the help she wanted.
    I remember attending a study on this once but can't remember what was said. It's an interesting point, thanks for raising it, perhaps some of the more well read Christains than myself will be able to comment because I think there is a spiritual parallel here.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 May '15 17:50

Christ did say that he was sent to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.. no argument with that. The purpose of that was to get the Jews to repent and change first as they were the nation chosen to bear the Son of God. But as was foretold they instead fulfilled the prophecy that they would crucify him.

Afer Christ death and resurrection, Christ sent Paul and a whole other band of Apostles to preach to the Gentiles.

.. for he [Paul] is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake. (Act 9:15-16)

The statement that Christ had 'nothing to offer the Gentiles' was addressed by Paul :

For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. (Gal 3:26-28)

There is one nation and one blood in Christ.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    05 May '15 18:00
    Thanks for the interesting (and non-reactionary) replies. This was an issue that had confused me rather.

There are others. 😉
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 May '15 18:17
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Christ [...] Christ.
    Welcome back!
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 May '15 18:44
    Christ did say that he was sent to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.. no argument with that. The purpose of that was to get the Jews to repent and change first as they were the nation chosen to bear the Son of God. But as was foretold they instead fulfilled the prophecy that they would crucify him.

Afer Christ death and resurrection, Christ sent Pau ...[text shortened]... e are all one in Christ Jesus. (Gal 3:26-28)[/i]

Indeed, welcome back!
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '15 20:22

Afer Christ death and resurrection, Christ sent Pau ...[text shortened]... e are all one in Christ Jesus. (Gal 3:26-28)[/i]

Well said.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 May '15 22:35
    Thanks for the interesting (and non-reactionary) replies. This was an issue that had confused me rather.

There are others. 😉
    Post the others as well. It would surely make for interesting discussion.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 May '15 22:36
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Well said.
    Thanks. 🙂
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 May '15 22:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    Welcome back!
    Thanks for the 'welcome back'. It has not been that long really. Took a few months off from playing chess and posting on the forum. Got caught up with some construction work. .. setting up a restaurant in Tobago here. If you guys are down this way anytime feel free to check me out.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 May '15 01:00

And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon, and this man was just and devout, waiting for the Consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. So he came by the Spirit into the temple. And when the parents brought in the Child Jesus, to do for Him according to the custom of the law, he took Him up in his arms and blessed God and said:

“Lord, now You are letting Your servant depart in peace,
    According to Your word;
    For my eyes have seen Your salvation
    Which You have prepared before the face of all peoples,
    A light to bring revelation to the Gentiles,
    And the glory of Your people Israel.”

Luke 2:25-32 NKJV)

I, the Lord, have called You in righteousness,
    And will hold Your hand;
    I will keep You and give You as a covenant to the people,
    As a light to the Gentiles,

(Isaiah 42:6 NKJV)
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 May '15 04:02
    Thanks for the 'welcome back'. It has not been that long really. Took a few months off from playing chess and posting on the forum. Got caught up with some construction work. .. setting up a restaurant in Tobago here. If you guys are down this way anytime feel free to check me out.
    Sure. Very tempting. But you'll need to offer me 'drink 3, get 1 free' or complimentary nuts, or something like that. 😵
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 May '15 04:47
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.

He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

(John 1:1-14 NKJV)
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 May '15 18:54
    Post the others as well. It would surely make for interesting discussion.
    Why is the only way to be saved through Christ (who appeared 2,000 years ago) when humanity has been around for roughly 200,000 years?

(The above question will annoy Hinds immensely).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree