1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 May '15 02:09
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Why is the only way to be saved through Christ (who appeared 2,000 years ago) when humanity has been around for roughly 200,000 years?

(The above question will annoy Hinds immensely).
    Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

(Matthew 22:29 KJV)
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 May '15 09:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Sure. Very tempting. But you'll need to offer me 'drink 3, get 1 free' or complimentary nuts, or something like that. 😵
    I can do a lot better than that 🙂 especially for my RHP buddies like yourself, Divegeester, KellyJay, Checkbaiter, Sonship, and many others. Anyway these days everybody likes to post stuff on the internet about their travels so chances are that once I get going here people will comment on their experience post photos etc, good bad or indifferent on sites like Tripadvisor and others.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 May '15 09:361 edit
    Why is the only way to be saved through Christ (who appeared 2,000 years ago) when humanity has been around for roughly 200,000 years?

(The above question will annoy Hinds immensely).
    It is true that the Bible says that only way to be saved is through Christ. But I suspect that that passage and those like it have been misinterpreted by the Christian community to claim some kind of superiority over non-Christians. Rather than taking this narrow approach I personally use a broad approach to determine to who Christ will accept as His people or who Christ will 'save' as you put it.

In Romans 2, Paul said that there are those who have no law [ie no Law or Moses or Law of Christ], and these people live according to their own law. These people according to Paul are capable of living righteously because their conscience guides them so that they know right from wrong. These will still be judged according to Paul.

For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another😉 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel. (Rom 2:14-16)

That passage above shows what will happen to those who never heard of Christ

There are other passages which can be interpreted to include all people :

Then Peter .. said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. (Act 10:34-35)

Gods grace which brings an opportunity for eternal life through the death of Christ is for all of mankind. ... whether it is man 2000 or 5,000 or 200,000 years ago., the death of Christ saved all of mankind:

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

Christians do not have a monopoly on Christ.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 May '15 10:30
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    It is true that the Bible says that only way to be saved is through Christ. But I suspect that that passage and those like it have been misinterpreted by the Christian community to claim some kind of superiority over non-Christians. Rather than taking this narrow approach I personally use a broad approach to determine to who Christ will accept as His people ...[text shortened]... ringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, [/i]

Christians do not have a monopoly on Christ.
    I believe you are in error, to begin with Christians do not have a monopoly on Christ, it is
    Christ who saves us we do not earn our salvation, or even claim something that belongs
    to us, it is a gift. Those outside of Christ no one will be saved, they cannot even see the
    Kingdom. If you don't believe in Him you are condemned already, so those that reject
    Him are condemned those that are not putting their faith in Him are condemned already.

John 3:

3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”

4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

9 “How can this be?” Nicodemus asked.

10 “You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things? 11 Very truly I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12 I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man. 14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 May '15 11:12
    Is it not a little odd that Christianity has become a religion largely of Gentiles, when Jesus said he intended to offer Gentiles nothing? (Or have i misunderstood?)

Matthew 10:5 seems to show ....
    Matthew was directed at the Jews by a Jewish writer who expected the religion to remain a subset of Judaism. Other gospels and of course Paul, have a different view and target audience.
    I suggest you find the same story in other gospels and check the differences.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 May '15 19:051 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I believe you are in error, to begin with Christians do not have a monopoly on Christ, it is
    Christ who saves us we do not earn our salvation, or even claim something that belongs
    to us, it is a gift. Those outside of Christ no one will be saved, they cannot even see the
    Kingdom. If you don't believe in Him you are condemned already, so those that reject ...[text shortened]... e stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.
    Can you explain what it means to be

1. born of water
    and
    2. born of the spirit?

And since you quoted Christ can you use Christ [not Paul] to explain?.

Christ did explain in detail what He meant.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 May '15 19:262 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Matthew was directed at the Jews by a Jewish writer who expected the religion to remain a subset of Judaism. Other gospels and of course Paul, have a different view and target audience.
    I suggest you find the same story in other gospels and check the differences.

If Mathew was expected to be only a subset of Judiasm, it is peculiar that it concludes with a commission to the disciples to teach and baptize all of the nations.

"Go therefore and disciple all the NATIONS, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.

And behold, I am with you all the days until the consummation of the age." (Matt. 28:19, 20)

Doesn't "all the nations" being commanded to learn "all that I have commanded you" sound like the contents of Matthew's gospel was for the whole world ?
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 May '15 20:00
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Post the others as well. It would surely make for interesting discussion.
    Why was the Infancy Gospel of Thomas excluded from the bible; and has this omission detracted from a Christian understanding of Christ?
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 May '15 01:43
    Why was the Infancy Gospel of Thomas excluded from the bible; and has this omission detracted from a Christian understanding of Christ?
    There was a minor industry of creating stories about the early Christ in the early days of the Church. That is probably the reason that most of these were excluded from Canon as the people writing them were more concerned about the audience reception rather than veracity.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 May '15 18:32
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    There was a minor industry of creating stories about the early Christ in the early days of the Church. That is probably the reason that most of these were excluded from Canon as the people writing them were more concerned about the audience reception rather than veracity.
    Is there a danger though that they threw out the baby with the bath water?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree