1. Newcastle upon tyne
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 10:56
    I am sorry to hear the pope is dead. i am not a believer.
  2. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 11:57
    Originally posted by vhouckham
    I am sorry to hear the pope is dead. i am not a believer.

Bit late laddie. He has been dead for sometime. We nearly have a new one. It's OK, I don't believe in the pope either.
  3. Gangster Land
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 12:56
    Originally posted by Maustrauser

Bit late laddie. He has been dead for sometime. We nearly have a new one. It's OK, I don't believe in the pope either.
    Must dissagree with you there, friend. I'm pretty certain the pope did exist at one time. 😉

Which brings me to an interesting question...

Does the RCC really believe the pope to be infalliable? If so, has any pope ever done anything wrong? If so how does the RCC explain this?

TheSkipper
  4. London
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 13:03
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Must dissagree with you there, friend. I'm pretty certain the pope did exist at one time. 😉

Does the RCC really believe the pope to be infalliable? If so, has any pope ever done anything wrong? If so how does the RCC explain this?

TheSkipper
    What is your current understanding of Papal Infallibility? I only ask so that the response can be more specific.
  5. Gangster Land
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 15:16
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    What is your current understanding of Papal Infallibility? I only ask so that the response can be more specific.
    Zero? Nothing? Whatever the system is. I know what the word infallible means, and that is the extent of my knowledge.

TheSkipper
  6. London
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 15:38
    Zero? Nothing? Whatever the system is. I know what the word infallible means, and that is the extent of my knowledge.

TheSkipper
    Alright - what does the word "infallible" mean to you?

To a Catholic, Infallibility is a property by which the Church is protected from teaching doctrinal or moral error by the Holy Spirit; in other words, the Church is incapable of teaching as doctrinally/morally true what is false and vice-versa. Note: This applies only to doctrinal/moral matters and not matters of Church discipline, organisation, liturgy etc. Papal Infallibility is the property whereby the Pope is infallible when he declares/defines a doctrine "ex cathedra", i.e., from the Seat of Peter. It does not mean he will be immune to error or sin in other matters.

So, to answer your questions:

1. Yes, the RCC believes in Papal Infallibilty.
    2. No Pope has ever proclaimed ex cathedra something in direct opposition to established Church teaching.
    3. No need.
  7. Meddling with things
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 01:04
    He has described homosexuality as a "tendency" towards an "intrinsic moral evil". During the US election campaign, he called for pro-choice politicians to be denied Communion.

He has also argued that Turkey should not be admitted into the European Union.

The eighth German to become Pope, he speaks 10 languages and is said to be an accomplished pianist with a preference for Beethoven

From BBC
  8. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 01:511 edit
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    He has described homosexuality as a "tendency" towards an "intrinsic moral evil". During the US election campaign, he called for pro-choice politicians to be denied Communion.

He has also argued that Turkey should not be admitte ...[text shortened]... n accomplished pianist with a preference for Beethoven

From BBC
    And isn't it amazing someone that smart can be that close minded? I find that astounding.

Just shows the power and control religion has over some people's minds.
  9. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 02:02

TheSkipper
    The Pope is not infallible...never has been...never will be. The only "person" that was ever infallible was Jesus Christ. The Pope wipes his arse with two-ply toilet paper (or better) just I do and has sinful desires just as I do.....Holy?....maybe to some, and that's fine and dandy, but infallible?......definitely NOT!!
  10. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 10:27
    Originally posted by wib
    And isn't it amazing someone that smart can be that close minded? I find that astounding.

Just shows the power and control religion has over some people's minds.
    it;s amazing the power God has over people.
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 15:18

To a Catholic, Infallibility is a property by which the Church is protected from teaching doctrinal or moral error by the Holy Spirit; in other words, the Church is incapable of teaching as doctrinally/morally true what is false and vice-versa. Note: This applies only to doctrinal/moral matte ...[text shortened]... oclaimed ex cathedra something in direct opposition to established Church teaching.
    3. No need.
    deserves a rec (I'm gonna have to join, if you keep this up 🙂)

Clear and accurate: should stave off a lot of anti-Catholic nonsense from the Bible thumpers.
  12. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 09:00
    Originally posted by Wulebgr

Clear and accurate: should stave off a lot of anti-Catholic nonsense from the Bible thumpers.
    Well put, Hammer.

I agree, Wulebgr- there's alot of that about, which I found quite shocking. However, i put it down to a lack of knowledge, or a massive inferiority complex, depending on the case (but often both!)

13. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 09:391 edit

To a Catholic, Infallibility is a property by which the Church is protected from teaching doctrinal or moral error by the Holy Spirit; in other words, the Church is incapabl ...[text shortened]... in direct opposition to established Church teaching.
    3. No need.
    In your opinion would declaring Catholic politicians excommuncant for not advocating the Pope's stance on outlawing abortion be ex cathedra or not?
  14. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 10:47
    Originally posted by Wulebgr

what about the catholic bible thumpers?...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree