1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Mar '13 14:41
    Originally posted by Penguin
    I don't think you have truly grasped the subtle connotations of the argument. Specifically in the long history of discussions on these forums that have led wolfgang59 to that inciteful conclusion.

--- Penguin.
    Probably not. 😏
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Mar '13 02:25
    The Second Coming of Christ is one of the fundamental doctrines of Scripture. Jesus emphatically said, “I will come again” (John 14:3).

One of the most bizarre interpretations of eschatology is the view that He has already come back! No, I’m not talking about the Jehovah’s Witnesses who think Jesus returned in 1914. I’m talking about a viewpoint called Preterism, which teaches that Jesus returned in AD 70 when the Roman army destroyed Jerusalem. In fact, the Bible warns us: “there shall come scoffers in the last days…saying, where is the promise of his coming” (II Peter 3:3-4).

Moderate preterists, like R.C. Sproul, claim they still believe in a future Second Coming, but still insist on interpreting the Olivet Discourse and the Book of Revelation as basically already fulfilled in the past. In contrast to the basic beliefs of premillennialism, moderate preterists believe that God is finished with biblical Israel. They see no prophetic future for national Israel. The fact that the State of Israel exists today is blamed on an “accident of history” perpetrated by “ignorant premillennialists” who supported the Balfour Declaration that eventually led to the formation of the modern state of Israel in 1948.

Most preterists believe the following:

1. Nero was the Antichrist. There will be no future individual Antichrist.

2. The Tribulation Period is already over. It occurred when the Roman army besieged Jerusalem in AD 66-70.

3. Christ “returned” in the clouds in AD 70 to witness the destruction of Jerusalem by the Roman army.

4. God replaced Old Testament Israel with the Church. Therefore, all the biblical promises to Israel belong to the Church.

5. Armageddon already happened in AD 70. The fall of “Babylon” refers to the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans.

6. Satan is already bound in the abyss and cannot hinder the spread of the Gospel. Revelation 20 has already been fulfilled.

7. We are already in the Millennium, but it is not literal. Some preterists equate the entire Church Age as the Millennium. The 1,000 years are not literal but figurative, even though they are mentioned six times in Revelation 19-20.

When did the lion lay down with the lamb? And when did the nations beat their weapons into plowshares? If the 1,000 years are only symbolic, then is the reign of Christ only symbolic? If God broke His everlasting covenant with Israel, how do we know He will not break His covenant of everlasting life with us?

http://www.according2prophecy.org/Preterism.html
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Mar '13 02:482 edits
    Iraneus was a disciple of Polycarp who was a disciple of John who wrote Revelation. Iraneus said that Polycarp told him that the book was written in the days of Dometian who left office around 95 or 96 AD and that's when all the exiles that were under religious persecution by Dometian were released. That's when John the Revelator was released and returned to deliver his messages to the seven churches of Asia.

So what the preterists are really suggesting is that John was writing an allegorical interpretation of what had already taken place in history and that there is no prophecy at all in the Book of Revelation.

Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near.

(Revelation 1:3 NKJV)

For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

(Revelation 22:18-19 NKJV

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree