1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 02:37
    Originally posted by @roigam
    What exactly are you looking for?
    Discussion of the OP. I have no objection to you proselytizing, but you could perhaps start a thread of your own to do so rather than spam this one.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 02:421 edit
    we are created to want to live forever.
    Do you also believe that we are created to want to have different religions appropriate to our culture and geography?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 03:14
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Ragwort posted:[b]"What if God gave humanity the notion of eternity to enable us to provide a societal narrative beyond our individual lifetime? Such a narrative might better help us to avoid conflict with our neighbours and environment in the here and now to give our species better chances to reach the next millenia. I might consider myself a theist but ...[text shortened]... eated-but-mortal reality, as in [2] above, is discounted (by religionists) as being implausible?
    I think people like Barak Obama believe as you do.

The only salvation is our "collective" salvation via the state.

There is no real God. Only the state can save humanity so long as they support the proper "social justice" ambitions and eradicate over population and over pollution etc., etc.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 03:31
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I think people like Barak Obama believe as you do.
    Mr Obama is a theist who believes in the afterlife. I am not.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 03:471 edit
    The only salvation is our "collective" salvation via the state. There is no real God. Only the state can save humanity so long as they support the proper "social justice" ambitions and eradicate over population and over pollution etc., etc.
    "Collective" action, much of it concerted by the state in cooperation with civil society organisations, in the country where I live, has achieved things like lowering maternal and infant mortality, increasing literacy, tackling preventable diseases, installing water and sanitation etc.. Nobody refers to it as "salvation" ~ only you, facetiously, it would seem.

The word "salvation" in the context of this thread might more coherently be seen as referring to being delivered to or reaching an afterlife. The positive impacts mentioned above have all been brought about, for the most part, by theists who believe in the possibility of everlasting life like you do.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 18:30
    Originally posted by @fmf
    "Collective" action, much of it concerted by the state in cooperation with civil society organisations, in the country where I live, has achieved things like lowering maternal and infant mortality, increasing literacy, tackling preventable diseases, installing water and sanitation etc.. Nobody refers to it as "salvation" ~ only you, facetiously, it would seem. ...[text shortened]... t, for the most part, by theists who believe in the possibility of everlasting life like you do.
    In the states, it is referred to as our "collective salvation". I've heard the left use it, even Obama whom you claim believes in a God.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 21:55
    In the states, it is referred to as our "collective salvation". I've heard the left use it, even Obama whom you claim believes in a God.
    So you didn't like Mr Obama as your president and you don't like "the left". Fair enough. What about this thread's topic, which is the ubiquity of belief in an afterlife?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 00:451 edit
    That life will always depend on our Creator's continued support.
    It also calls for obedience on our part,
    Do you believe that the billions of adherents of Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism (if it still has any), Islam, Judaism, and the Bahá'í Faith need to become Jehovah's Witnesses in order to show "obedience" to the creator? You believe that your god figure created the desire/hope for an afterlife that is embodied or propagated by all of those religions, right?
  9. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    21 Jan '18 17:57
    Once this rebellion on Earth has been resolved, I think there may be many other civilizations in the universe.
    I believe the poster @sonship shares your views on there being other populated planets who may be observing us.

Is your view on other civilisations in the universe consistent with Watchtower teaching?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Jan '18 23:241 edit
    Originally posted by @velns
    I believe the poster @sonship shares your views on there being other populated planets who may be observing us.

Is your view on other civilisations in the universe consistent with Watchtower teaching?

If you wish to keep that rumor going you might as well have my long expressed clarifications of the famous paragraph about "other worlds".

1.) I don't know from the Bible of life on other planets now.
    2.) I don't know from the bible of life on other planets in the future.
    3.) I suspect that the whole universe was created for God's kingdom. How He uses this in eternity, some of us will just have to wait to see. Maybe He won't at all. It is an unknown pretty much.

4.) When God says that He creates all things new in Revelation 21 and 22 maybe it also means other living things. But I don't KNOW that with dogmatic certainty and would not insist on it.

5.) Lastly, Human beings are the most important creatures in God's plan. God incarnated to be one - Jesus Christ.

If you want to refer to my usage of the phrase "other worlds" keep in mind these caveats and please do not dishonestly exaggerate my position.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Jan '18 17:38
    Originally posted by @sonship

If you wish to keep that rumor going you might as well have my long expressed clarifications of the famous paragraph about "other worlds".

1.) I don't know from the Bible of life on other planets now.
    2.) I don't [ ...[text shortened]... "other worlds" keep in mind these caveats and please do not dishonestly exaggerate my position.
    So, tell us about these other worlds...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree