1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 03:24
    There are popular TV programs running for some time now on the makeover of homes and bodies. There apparently is alot of interest in a makeover in people' s lives. That is interesting because the Bible talks about a makeover that affects the whole person- not just the physical appearance or one's house, but the whole being- the whole person. If there is an extreme makeover, THIS is the real extreme makeover. "Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh; yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more. Therefore, if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature; old things are passed away; behold all things are become new. And all things are of God who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation."

This passage ( II Cor. 5:16-18 ) is one of the most profound and thought provoking passages of the Bible. The passage has a threefold focus. First, it focuses on how we know Christ. Second, it focuses our attention on the believer as being a new creature in Christ. The third focus of the passage is a ministry that every believer has- the ministry of reconciliation. As we consider these three concepts, we realize that these three represent the central focus of the successful Christain life today in the dispensation of the grace of God.
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 03:30
    Originally posted by josephw
    There are popular TV programs running for some time now on the makeover of homes and bodies. There apparently is alot of interest in a makeover in people' s lives. That is interesting because the Bible talks about a makeover that affects the whole person- not just the physical appearance or one's house, but the whole being- the whole person. If there is an e ...[text shortened]... entral focus of the successful Christain life today in the dispensation of the grace of God.
    With all the Christian programming on TV today, why do you think there hasn't been a Christian reality TV program doing a Christian makeover?
  3. Standard memberDUI
    HOBO
    THE HAIGHT
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 03:49
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    With all the Christian programming on TV today, why do you think there hasn't been a Christian reality TV program doing a Christian makeover?
    'Cause they are too busy getting massaged by meth dealers!
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 04:02
    You really should quit watching TV. there's very little reality on it. And in my oppinion especially religious programming.
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 05:09

This passage ( II Cor. 5:16-18 ) is one of the most profound and thought provoking passages of the Bible. The passage has a threefold focus. First, it focuses on how we know Christ. Second, it focuses our attention on the believer as being a new creature in Christ. The third focus of the passage is a ministry that every believer has- the ministry of reco ...[text shortened]... he central focus of the successful Christain life today in the dispensation of the grace of God.
    what exactly does that mean? and how does it happen?
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 06:51
    You really should quit watching TV. there's very little reality on it. And in my oppinion especially religious programming.
    Ahem. You started this thread, and your very first sentence was, "There are popular TV programs running for some time now on the makeover of homes and bodies."
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 13:412 edits
    The only "religious TV" I watch is done in an effort to bring commentary to the black hole of spirituality, if you can call it that, that now resides on TV in the form of TBN and a host of other religious programs that masquerade the mentally ill as spiritual giants. Few in the religious community hold these fools to any level of accountability.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 18:56
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Ahem. You started this thread, and your very first sentence was, "There are popular TV programs running for some time now on the makeover of homes and bodies."
    That's right, I started this thread,And it has nothing to do with watching TV, or does this thread have anything to with TV. Try to stay on topic. If you are able.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 19:10
    The only "religious TV" I watch is done in an effort to bring commentary to the black hole of spirituality, if you can call it that, that now resides on TV in the form of TBN and a host of other religious programs that masquerade the mentally ill as spiritual giants. Few in the religious community hold these fools to any level of accountability.
    Then to some degree we agree? I was only trying to be humorus about watching TV, as I'm sure that you and I are aware that TV is an open sewer spewing forth it's filth out of hollywood into the public square.

I agree with you, to an exstent, that what comes out of most religious TV programing is creating a "black hole of spirituality". My personal belief is in the " local assembly" form of church where Practitioners recieve instruction from qualified " elders", strait from The Book.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 23:27
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    what exactly does that mean? and how does it happen?
    You asked the right questions EcstremeVenom!

This is difficult for me to answer because the concepts are so profound, and I am simple. But here goes.

Verse 16 Look back in time to that day when this book of the Bible was written. The apostle Paul wrote this book. In this verse Paul is talking about the Jesus that previously was on earth before he retuned to heaven, (though we have known Christ after the flesh). Christ was known as a living breathing real life man. But now, since he returned to heaven, we don’t know him that way,(after the flesh) any more.( yet now henceforth know we him no more) Now this is where it gets deep: the question is “ then how is it that we know him?” Well, if it is not after the flesh then in what way do we now know? The answer is, it is spiritually. If you want to know what that means…..later please!

Verse 17 If any man be “in Christ” he is a new creature. The simplest way for me to put this is to say that at the moment of conversion, that is at the moment a person places their trust in the “work” of Christ on the cross, that person becomes “a new creature”: saved, born again, etc. Think of it. “ all things are become new”.

Verse 18 “reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ” God did what only HE could do. He made it possible for us to have unbroken fellowship with him by taking sin out of the way! The ministry of reconciliation.

Now please read verses 19- 21

All right boys and girls take it easy on me!
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 00:011 edit
    That's right, I started this thread,And it has nothing to do with watching TV, or does this thread have anything to with TV. Try to stay on topic. If you are able.
    Oh my god, you cannot be that obtuse.

You started the thread. You chose the topic. It was not I who chose to name the entire thread after a TV show.

I hope you realize how silly you look lecturing others not to watch TV when you clearly watch it yourself.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 01:01
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Oh my god, you cannot be that obtuse.

You started the thread. You chose the topic. It was not I who chose to name the entire thread after a TV show.

I hope you realize how silly you look lecturing others not to watch TV when you clearly watch it yourself.
    You're still off topic. This thread is not about TV. Read it again please.

As far as watching TV, I have'nt had an idiot box in my house in 10 years. Sure, I see it here and there, so what, I never said it was a sin to watch TV either. And if you think I look silly here you should see me in person.
  13. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 01:36
    You're still off topic. This thread is not about TV. Read it again please.

As far as watching TV, I have'nt had an idiot box in my house in 10 years. Sure, I see it here and there, so what, I never said it was a sin to watch TV either. And if you think I look silly here you should see me in person.
    i love tv
  14. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 04:44
    The next verse (II Cor. 5:19) is extremely important and means a lot to me and this is why: There was a family that I had known who my family had sinned against. When we repented to them they showed us verses that (from their interpretation) said that when true repentance is present there will also be reconciliation between the offended and offender - which is true - but they used the offense as a way to manipulate my family under their control and authority, or at least they tried. They defined reconciliation as a give and take process. But in verse 19 it makes the point that Christ (the One sinned against by us) did not hold our trespasses against us, and in doing so, He committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

I make this point not to go off topic, but because when we allow Christ to work in us (give us a life-makeover) He is, in fact, reconciling us unto Himself and requires nothing from us in return. We then learn from His example and in return are able to fully understand and practice the ministry of reconciliation. Do you agree josephw?
  15. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 08:20
    Originally posted by SharpeMother
    The next verse (II Cor. 5:19) is extremely important and means a lot to me and this is why: There was a family that I had known who my family had sinned against. When we repented to them they showed us verses that (from their interpretation) said that when true repentance is present there will also be reconciliation between the offended and offender - w ...[text shortened]... are able to fully understand and practice the ministry of reconciliation. Do you agree josephw?
    Makes perfect sense to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree