1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 16:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i think you have a point Dasa, the materialistic society in which we find ourselves
    produces this type of a-moral behaviour. Eat and drink for tomorrow we may die is the
    motto. Meism and self interest permeate the thinking and when combined with secular
    liberalism which recognises no absolutes, this type of drunken melee surely foments. I
    ...[text shortened]... standards. Materialist is a better term, for it encompasses both theist and non
    theist alike.
    What a load of tripe.

Drunkenness and violence has been a part of British society since we discovered beer. To make out that it's a recent problem connected to secular liberalism is frankly laughable. Do you read history books or have they been banished along with science books?
  2. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 17:06
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Tell me how as an atheist how i behave.
    Well I do not know you personally to be able to comment.

Understand something please -when I talk of atheism as I do - I do not harbour malicious feelings towards anyone.

My spirituality has allowed me to see every person as the real spiritual spirit soul that they really are - and my harsh words are not actually reflecting my true feelings towards each person.

Believe it or not my true feelings are of compassion and care.

I must say one thing about you though......

I have noticed a change in your attitude because many many months ago you were somewhat aggressive in manner and now you have seemed to have mellowed out.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 17:134 edits
    What a load of tripe.

Drunkenness and violence has been a part of British society since we discovered beer. To make out that it's a recent problem connected to secular liberalism is frankly laughable. Do you read history books or have they been banished along with science books?
    my dear friend, do you not think that i am aware of this fact, the phrase, 'Let us eat and
    drink for tomorrow we shall die' is a Biblical one, a firm favourite of the ancient
    Epicureans, more than two thousand years ago. I never stated that it was a recent
    phenomena, merely citing what appears to me to be the reasons. Are you saying that if
    Sydney was full of persons adhering to Biblical principles these things would ensue? I
    think not! because wisdom is proven righteous by its works!
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 17:34
    my dear friend, do you not think that i am aware of this fact, the phrase, 'Let us eat and
    drink for tomorrow we shall die' is a Biblical one, a firm favourite of the ancient
    Epicureans, more than two thousand years ago. I never stated that it was a recent
    phenomena, merely citing what appears to me to be the reasons. Are you saying that if ...[text shortened]... les these things would ensue? I
    Seeing how secular liberalism is a recent trend i can hardly see it as a reason for drunken violence in the Middle Ages.

If Sydney was full of people adhering to Biblical principles they might very well be going round killing all homosexuals, all atheists, all those who don't follow Christianity, and those who wear clothes made from more than two types of thread. In fact Sydney would be a bloodbath if it was full of people following Biblical principles, it would make what happens today seem like a Church Sunday afternoon tea party.
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 17:451 edit
    phenomena, merely citing what appears to me to be the reasons. Are you saying that if ...[text shortened]... les these things would ensue? I
    But neither Epicurus nor any from the Epicurean school used that phrase in any of their written work. A better motto would be "Let us endeavor to be content with what we have, and unperturbed by empty fears, for life is all we have and death is nothing." I'm not sure why the Epicureans have been painted as simply hedonists. They were much more sophisticated than, say, the Cyrenaics (who really did think we should go after sensual pleasure). Ah, well, I wouldn't expect Paul to be able to figure any of this stuff out.
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 18:49
    Originally posted by Dasa

Understand something please -when I talk of atheism as I do - I do not harbour malicious feelings towards anyone.

My spirituality has allowed me to see every person as the real spiritual spirit soul that they really are - and my harsh words are not actually reflecting my true feelings towards each p ...[text shortened]... months ago you were somewhat aggressive in manner and now you have seemed to have mellowed out.

Yet you can make grand sweeping statements about atheists in general?! How does that work?

Believe it or not my true feelings are of compassion and care.

Compassion and care are not two words i would associate with you judging from what i've read of your posts over the last 18 months or so.

I have noticed a change in your attitude because many many months ago you were somewhat aggressive in manner and now you have seemed to have mellowed out.

I realised i was taking myself and life too seriously. Although i can assure you aggression is never my intended motive in my posts.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 19:102 edits
    Originally posted by bbarr
    But neither Epicurus nor any from the Epicurean school used that phrase in any of their written work. A better motto would be "Let us endeavor to be content with what we have, and unperturbed by empty fears, for life is all we have and death is nothing." I'm not sure why the Epicureans have been painted as simply hedonists. They were much more sophisticated ...[text shortened]... ual pleasure). Ah, well, I wouldn't expect Paul to be able to figure any of this stuff out.
    yes because lets face it, having studied at the feet of Gamaliel, having been a Roman
    citizen, having spoken several languages, having a knowledge of contemporary Greek
    literature (please sea Acts 17:23) and having lived in that epoch you are in a much
    better position to judge what he knew and what he did not concerning the epicureans.
    You pompous fool, get a grip! The statement was of course not taken verbatim, but
    you of course never knew that! cause you dont read the Bible.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 19:13
    Seeing how secular liberalism is a recent trend i can hardly see it as a reason for drunken violence in the Middle Ages.

If Sydney was full of people adhering to Biblical principles they might very well be going round killing all homosexuals, all atheists, all those who don't follow Christianity, and those who wear clothes made from more than two type ...[text shortened]... cal principles, it would make what happens today seem like a Church Sunday afternoon tea party.
    its not given as a reason for violence in the middle ages, its given as a reason for
    licentious behaviour in this period. There is no mandate to kill homos in the Christian
    Greek scriptures, nor to round up atheists, nor to prohibit the wearing of garments
    made of certain types of cloth, nor can you find any with which to qualify your
    statement, in other words, you have made it up! Sydney would not be a bloodbath,
    infact, i dare say it would be as near to a paradise as you can get this side of
    Armageddon.
  9. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 19:17
    yes because lets face it, having studied at the feet of Gamaliel, having been a Roman
    citizen, having spoken several languages, having a knowledge of contemporary Greek
    literature (please sea Acts 17:1) and having lived in that epoch you are in a much
    better position to judge what he knew and what he did not concerning the epicureans.
    You pom ...[text shortened]... f course not taken verbatim, but
    you of course never knew that! cause you dont read the Bible.
    Yeah, you're right. I only have the benefit of having read all the extant Epicurean literature, and having over two millennia of scholarly analysis of Greek philosophy to draw on. The funny thing is, it's perfectly clear from Epicurus' own work that your proffered motto is misleading. You don't find anything close to that sentiment, or the naive Hedonism that you think it indicates, in the Epicurean corpus. But you wouldn't know that, since you don't read any Greek philosophy; you just regurgitate what you read in your silly little book.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 19:40
    its not given as a reason for violence in the middle ages, its given as a reason for
    licentious behaviour in this period. There is no mandate to kill homos in the Christian
    Greek scriptures, nor to round up atheists, nor to prohibit the wearing of garments
    made of certain types of cloth, nor can you find any with which to qualify your
    statem ...[text shortened]...
    infact, i dare say it would be as near to a paradise as you can get this side of
    Armageddon.
    There is no mandate to kill homos in the Christian Greek scriptures.

I know that, but that's not what you said now is it? Let me remind you -

Are you saying that if Sydney was full of persons adhering to Biblical principles these things would ensue?

Cheeky little change of terms there Roberto, now was that an accidental slip or did you change that deliberately? Now remember, no lying!!!

As for your other point, i'll get to that when we clear this little episode up.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 19:591 edit
    Yeah, you're right. I only have the benefit of having read all the extant Epicurean literature, and having over two millennia of scholarly analysis of Greek philosophy to draw on. The funny thing is, it's perfectly clear from Epicurus' own work that your proffered motto is misleading. You don't find anything close to that sentiment, or the naive Hedonism th t read any Greek philosophy; you just regurgitate what you read in your silly little book.
    Yes, robbie also just regurgitates what he reads in Watchtower publications too. He is allergic to actual research.
  12. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 20:05
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Yes, robbie also just regurgitates what he reads in Watchtower publications too. He is allergic to actual research.
    Oh, that's right, I forgot. He's part of the blood-cult.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 20:17
    Yeah, you're right. I only have the benefit of having read all the extant Epicurean literature, and having over two millennia of scholarly analysis of Greek philosophy to draw on. The funny thing is, it's perfectly clear from Epicurus' own work that your proffered motto is misleading. You don't find anything close to that sentiment, or the naive Hedonism th ...[text shortened]... t read any Greek philosophy; you just regurgitate what you read in your silly little book.
    I read Platonic philosophy when i was fourteen, but the again it never seemed to make
    me a pompous windbag the way it has you, is it a self perpetuating pomp, you know,
    wind on pomp-mill, pomp mill makes wind.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 20:191 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    haha, such a cheapo, dont you have some crow to train to drop stones into a glass of
    water and claim its using tools, some fish to test its consciousness? some rabbit that
    has written a thesis?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 20:22
    [b]There is no mandate to kill homos in the Christian Greek scriptures.

I know that, but that's not what you said now is it? Let me remind you -

Are you saying that if Sydney was full of persons adhering to Biblical principles these things would ensue?

Cheeky little change of terms there Roberto, now was that an acciden ...[text shortened]... no lying!!!

As for your other point, i'll get to that when we clear this little episode up.[/b]
    the Christian Greek scriptures have superseded those of the Mosaic law, never the less
    i had forgotten how tricky and pedantic you noobsters can be, shall l rephrase the
    term, Christian principles so that your argument may disintegrate into nothingness 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree