1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 12:24
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    So you believe that this would be a better translation.

Matt 5:48 Be yee therefore [b]matuer
    , even as your father which is in heaven is mature.

One could argue that Jesus is still comparing Christians to God. We can only assume that God is mature in a perfect way, and so to be like God in that way would make us perfect.

Do you b ...[text shortened]... it is possible to be as perfect as God in one way, but still somehow not be perfect all around?[/b]
    Perhaps in the sense of the Beatitudes, but the expression used is "blessed are they". It doesn't say "perfect are you who hunger and thirst for righteousness."
  2. Colorado
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 16:56
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Perhaps in the sense of the Beatitudes, but the expression used is "blessed are they". It doesn't say "perfect are you who hunger and thirst for righteousness."
    What do you think Jesus is saying in Matt 10:24-25? Why would Jesus say “It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master” if the disciple could not be as his master?
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 21:51
    What do you think Jesus is saying in Matt 10:24-25? Why would Jesus say “It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master” if the disciple could not be as his master?
    I don't know. That's what bugs me about Jesus: he just doesn't give you a straight answer about much. Have you consulted Ivanhoe with this question? He does better with these kinds of questions than me.
  4. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 22:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 04:15
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    That was a damn lot of adverbs in one sentence!
    Perhaps he had the reverb set too high.
  6. Colorado
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 04:39
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I don't know. That's what bugs me about Jesus: he just doesn't give you a straight answer about much. Have you consulted Ivanhoe with this question? He does better with these kinds of questions than me.
    Both passages make sense if one accepts that Jesus is telling his followers that they will one day be like him. This is the message that the church has rejected.

I’ll ask Ivanhoe though. Thanks for your thoughts.
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 12:231 edit
    What was the message of Jesus regarding his followers?

In my experience I’ve found that the church is quick to condemn everybody as “hopeless sinners” citing Romans 3:22 “For all have sinned..." Even saved Christians are sinners who can never compare to Jesus.

In the gospels Jesus seems to suggest that those who believe will one day become ...[text shortened]... o sin? Why would Jesus bother to tell us not to sin if he knew that we are all hopeless sinners?
    The Roman-Catholic Faith does not consider sinners to be hopeless. On the contrary, the message is that there is hope, hope for everyone who turns to Jesus, our Saviour.

Our aim as Christians is to become like Jesus Christ, the Son of God who came to this earth and became like us, except in sin, and gave us the message and the hope we will once become like Him, sinless.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 20:37
    I'll take a look at it. Do you believe that when we are ressurected we will be like Jesus?
    Yes.
  9. Colorado
    Moves
    25 Dec '05 00:50
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    The Roman-Catholic Faith does not consider sinners to be hopeless. On the contrary, the message is that there is hope, hope for everyone who turns to Jesus, our Saviour.

Our aim as Christians is to become like Jesus Christ, the Son of God who came to this earth and became like us, except in sin, and gave us the message and the hope we will once become like Him, sinless.

Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Yes.
    Ok, I guess some denominations accept that we can be perfect like Christ.

John 1:12
    But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Merry Christmas everybody and thanks for clarifying this for me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree