1. Wat?
    Moves
    01 Oct '12 14:20
    Only a few religions practice the ritual of circumcision, removal of the foreskin, or slicing into the female genitalia.

So?

Making the cut:

Judaism

Jews circumcise their newborn boys as a physical sign of God's covenant with the Jewish people. The circumcision ceremony marks a boy's welcome into this covenant and into the Jewish community.

Ceremony called:
    Brit milah, literally, Covenant of Circumcision.

When performed:
    Circumcision is performed on the child's eighth day of life, including the day of the birth.
    Who performs it?:
    The mohel, a religious Jew educated in Jewish law and in the circumcision ritual.

Muslim:

FGM is a social custom, not a religious practice. However, in those Muslim countries where it is practice, FGM is often justified by a controversial saying attributed to the Prophet Mohammed that seem to favour sunna circumcision involving minor cutting of the clitoris.

The authenticity of these sayings are unconfirmed, and some scholars have refuted them. Even if true, they only permit the practice; they do not mandate it.

FGM has probably been performed for at least 1,400 years (some references estimate 2,000 years), and started during what Muslims call "al-gahiliyyah" (the era of ignorance). The Qu'r'an, Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) and Christian Scriptures (New Testament) is silent on the subject. The Sunnah (the words and actions of the Prophet Mohammed) contains a reference to female circumcision.

Controversy:

Islam is often wrongly accused of condoning female genital mutilation, or 'female circumcision,' the cutting or removal of a girl's clitoris. In fact, female genital mutilation was practiced long before the advent of Islam, and the custom likely has ancient roots. Several hadith (sayings of the Prophet) do refer to female circumcision, but it is not practiced by most Muslims.

"Those who advocate for FGM from an Islamic perspective commonly quote the following hadith to argue that it is required as part of the Sunnah or Tradition of the Prophet:

'Um Atiyyat al-Ansariyyah said: A woman used to perform circumcision in Medina. The Prophet (pbuh) said to her: Do not cut too severely as that is better for a woman and more desirable for a husband'."

One interpretation of this passage is that the woman was going to proceed with the circumcision anyway; Muhammad suggested that she remove a smaller amount of her genitalia than she had perhaps intended to.

Back to Judaism:

Controversy:

An anti-circumcision movement has mounted in recent years, with active and vocal Jewish members. Anti-circumcision groups claim the act is traumatic for the baby and can result in lifelong damage, including psychological problems and a reduced sex drive.

------------

various sources quoted......

Are there any arguments here for, or against, the lack of choice a child has, to fulfil their parents' beliefs?

PERSONALLY, I WOULD DEFINE IT A CHILD ABUSE!!

-m.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Oct '12 18:402 edits
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Only a few religions practice the ritual of circumcision, removal of the foreskin, or slicing into the female genitalia.

So?

Making the cut:

Judaism

Jews circumcise their newborn boys as a physical sign of God's covenant with the Jewish people. The circumcision ceremony marks a boy's welcome into this covenant and into the Jewish community.

C l their parents' beliefs?

PERSONALLY, I WOULD DEFINE IT A CHILD ABUSE!!

-m.
    Islam is a distortion of the Hebrew religion by Satan (Allah) and his false prophet (Mohammed).

And God said to Abraham: “As for you, you shall keep My covenant, you and your descendants after you throughout their generations. This is My covenant which you shall keep, between Me and you and your descendants after you: Every male child among you shall be circumcised; and you shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between Me and you. He who is eight days old among you shall be circumcised, every male child in your generations, he who is born in your house or bought with money from any foreigner who is not your descendant. He who is born in your house and he who is bought with your money must be circumcised, and My covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant. And the uncircumcised male child, who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that person shall be cut off from his people; he has broken My covenant.”
    (Genesis 17:9-14 NKJV)

http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=13&article=1118
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Oct '12 21:071 edit
    It's abusing your child a bit but it's not "child abuse". Well, I could go along with that but I doubt everyone will.
    This has always kinda fascinated me.

Sometimes I think every guy should be like me - tatooless, unmutilated in anyway, and not wearing any undies, so that my parts may dangle and prosper the way "god "intended it. Then again , tattoos are way cool so ...
    (I am reminded of some Islander religions where tatooing is considered part of some spiritual right )

What you reckon, Mike? Is tattooing like this similar to circumciscision in your way of thinking?
  4. Wat?
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 08:27
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    It's abusing your child a bit but it's not "child abuse". Well, I could go along with that but I doubt everyone will.
    This has always kinda fascinated me.

Sometimes I think every guy should be like me - tatooless, unmutilated in anyway, and not wearing any undies, so that my parts may dangle and prosper the way "god "intended it. Then again , tatto ...[text shortened]... u reckon, Mike? Is tattooing like this similar to circumciscision in your way of thinking?
    Tattooing is a personal choice, isn't it?

Circumcision at 7 days old, or indoctrinated to be set up for at a later young age, isn't, is it?

-m. ?
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 08:50
    Tattooing is a personal choice, isn't it?

Circumcision at 7 days old, or indoctrinated to be set up for at a later young age, isn't, is it?

-m. ?
    this maybe a myth, im not sure, but i remember hearing that circumcised men eventually loose sensitivity in their doo-dah. which would be great when your a teenager and need all the help you can get. it must be a curse when you hit your later parts of life.
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 11:50
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    this maybe a myth, im not sure, but i remember hearing that circumcised men eventually loose sensitivity in their doo-dah. which would be great when your a teenager and need all the help you can get. it must be a curse when you hit your later parts of life.
    I wouldn't know! 😀

-m.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 21:06
    I wouldn't know! 😀

-m.
    me neither ive got foreskin like the body of an old man whos lost 300lbs.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 21:151 edit
    TMI🙂 I have 2 sons whom we did not have cut, and now the younger one, 24 yo, is having problems with infections and painful intercourse. He wants to get the cut job but is it advisable in a 24-25 yo?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 03:08
    I was circumcised as a child and had 5 children with my wife and could of had more if my wife was willing. And my doo-dah still works fine. 😏
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 03:11
    And God saud, "And the uncircumcised male child, who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that person shall be cut off from his people; he has broken My covenant.” 😏
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 09:11
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    And God saud, "And the uncircumcised male child, who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that person shall be cut off from his people; he has broken My covenant.” 😏
    why would a god give a crap about penis skin?
  12. Wat?
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 13:46
    As important as a rib? I would think a lot more..... 😉

-m.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 13:53
    I guess he doesn't like the taste.....
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 15:53
    Who knows the mind of God? His ways are higher than our ways.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

(Isaiah 55:8-9 NKJV)
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 16:48
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Who knows the mind of God? His ways are higher than our ways.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

(Isaiah 55:8-9 NKJV)
    who says his ways are higher than ours?