1. Joined
    14 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 02:48
    To all you Christians at there...what do you think is the role of Old Testament law for the believer today? Two extremist views are that everything is applicable and nothing is applicable. There must be a balance. I think the law can be split up into 3 categories under moral law, ceremonial law, and civil law, with only the moral law being applicable to the believer today. But I would like to hear your views on this as I have not yet done sufficient research to come to a conclusion.
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 02:50
    Originally posted by ngeisler88
    To all you Christians at there...what do you think is the role of Old Testament law for the believer today? Two extremist views are that everything is applicable and nothing is applicable. There must be a balance. I think the law can be split up into 3 categories under moral law, ceremonial law, and civil law, with only the moral law being applicable to t ...[text shortened]... e to hear your views on this as I have not yet done sufficient research to come to a conclusion.
    Who are you to second guess God?! The bible is his literal words written down. Now go out there and kill unbelievers, or face the consequences of your fictional deity!
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 03:52
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Who are you to second guess God?! The bible is his literal words written down. Now go out there and kill unbelievers, or face the consequences of your fictional deity!
    Not a Christian, so I’ll respectfully refrain hereafter, but you might want to clarify what you mean by “the law.” Do you mean the written Torah?* Or the mitzvot (commandments)? Or the halakha (rabbinical interpretation and application of the mitzvot; which oral tradition Jesus seems familiar with, as it had developed to that point)? Or all three?

* Although Torah seems to be called the “law” in the NT (e.g., references to “the law and the prophets” ), that is really not a very accurate rendering: Torah would better be translated as either “teaching” or simply the “way.”
  4. Joined
    14 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 16:31
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Not a Christian, so I’ll respectfully refrain hereafter, but you might want to clarify what you mean by “the law.” Do you mean the written Torah?* Or the mitzvot (commandments)? Or the halakha (rabbinical interpretation and application of the mitzvot; which oral tradition Jesus seems familiar with, as it had developed to that point)? ...[text shortened]... accurate rendering: Torah would better be translated as either “teaching” or simply the “way.”
    Ok I apologize I didn't specify....the 613 rules and regulations in the Pentateuch.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 19:14
    Ok I apologize I didn't specify....the 613 rules and regulations in the Pentateuch.
    Yeah, Leviticus is ESPECIALLY endearing.......
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 19:44
    the Bible was wrote thousands of years ago. while i don't question that it was the Word of god, i also am sure that God intended it for the Israelian people thousands of years ago.
    I am sure that God knew that when we grow up(supposedly now, but i am not so sure), we wouldn't believe all the bed time stories the Bible says. The Bible must be taken as general guidelines, not scientific facts or laws to be respected to the letter.

To our children we tell tales of Santa and the stork story because they are to young to understand the truth. I don't think Abraham or Noah would have understood if God said "Hey dude, i didn't really made the Universe in 7 days but more like 20 billion years or so."
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 19:48
    More on this subject: the old testament gave a series of laws. then Jesus came and gave new laws for a new society. I am sure God gives us some credit as to figure out when new laws are required. For that matter, when he said "go and multiply" he thought we would have the decency to stop multiplying like rabbits and use a condom when 1. we would have the technology to make condoms and 2.when we are enough people on this planet to consume every resource in 50 years
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 22:53
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    For that matter, when he said "go and multiply" he thought we would have the decency to stop multiplying like rabbits and use a condom when 1. we would have the technology to make condoms and 2.when we are enough people on this planet to consume every resource in 50 years
    Amen.
  9. Joined
    14 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '06 17:31
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    the Bible was wrote thousands of years ago. while i don't question that it was the Word of god, i also am sure that God intended it for the Israelian people thousands of years ago.
    I am sure that God knew that when we grow up(supposedly now, but i am not so sure), we wouldn't believe all the bed time stories the Bible says. The Bible must be taken as gene ...[text shortened]... y dude, i didn't really made the Universe in 7 days but more like 20 billion years or so."
    Ok, thanks for your input, but I have just one question so far - Are you a Christian?
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '06 19:53
    To all you Christians at there...what do you think is the role of Old Testament law for the believer today? Two extremist views are that everything is applicable and nothing is applicable. There must be a balance. I think the law can be split up into 3 categories under moral law, ceremonial law, and civil law, with only the moral law being applicable to t ...[text shortened]... e to hear your views on this as I have not yet done sufficient research to come to a conclusion.
    Matthew 5:17 says, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law or the prophets; I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one title shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Now you may think that Christ "changed" the law in certain respects such as no more need for animal sacrifices. However, I would argue that Christ became the ulitmate sacrifice for us and is referred to as the "Lamb" of God. In other words, Christ did not change the need for a blood sacrifice, he merely perfected it. He was the fulfillment of the law and not the changer of it.
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    30 Sep '06 19:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    Matthew 5:17 says, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law or the prophets; I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one title shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Now you may think that Christ "changed" the law in certain respects such as no more need for animal ...[text shortened]... fice, he merely perfected it. He was the fulfillment of the law and not the changer of it.
    Speaking of blood, I assume you think that women should be isolated when menstrating.
  12. Joined
    14 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '06 20:33
    In the future, please refrain from totally inane and off-topic comments. Thank you.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '06 20:45
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Speaking of blood, I assume you think that women should be isolated when menstrating.
    Just from me.😀
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    30 Sep '06 23:10
    In the future, please refrain from totally inane and off-topic comments. Thank you.
    It was not inane or off topic. It was a simple question about an O.T. law. It sounded like he felt Jesus was upholding all those laws so I was just getting some clarity.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 05:27
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    What was the reason for that do you think?
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree