1. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 12:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Not only did they realize it was a patch, they also analysed the fibers and found new fiber carefully woven into older fiber on the edges of the patches.
    Who is 'they'? The people who wrote the article, or the scientists who took samples?

That bit is in the article and there is an image showing the well woven repair thread.
    One thread? Not the whole patch?

It looks obvious to me just looking at the photo the area they took samples from was a repair, you can't see the obvious difference between the little square in the lower left hand corner and the longer one in upper left?
    It seems obvious to you merely looking at a photo, yet there is a whole article about in depth scientific analysis of the threads. Why did they not just take one look at the photo like you did? Seems to me you are missing something.

If it is not a repair, can you explain to me what it was?
    Did I say it is not a repair? What I said is that it is not as obviously a repair as you claim. Tell me, the photo you are looking at in which it is 'obviously a repair', what wavelengths was that taken in? When was it taken? Was it available to the scientists who obtained samples?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 12:25
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Who is 'they'? The people who wrote the article, or the scientists who took samples?

[b]That bit is in the article and there is an image showing the well woven repair thread.

One thread? Not the whole patch?

It looks obvious to me just looking at the photo the area they took samples from was a repair, you can't see the obvious difference bet ...[text shortened]... s was that taken in? When was it taken? Was it available to the scientists who obtained samples?
    Are you saying you can't see it as a repair when there are pieces of the original cloth missing and different colored cloth put in its place, you can't see that as a repair?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 12:56
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Are you saying you can't see it as a repair when there are pieces of the original cloth missing and different colored cloth put in its place, you can't see that as a repair?
    I am saying that you are privy to scientific evidence that was produced after the time in question and falsely assuming that the scientists at the time were privy to the same information.
    Further, I am saying that different coloured cloth does not automatically indicate a repair. There are many possible explanations such as a stain, rot, dye or other damage / effects. I have not read the full report nor looked closely at the details.
    It is very clear however that the writers did not jump to the conclusion that it was a repair nearly as readily as you did.

It is also clear that you actually have no evidence whatsoever that the scientist who took samples were aware that the area was a repair and you are just keeping up the argument because you are too stubborn to admit when you are wrong. I find it somewhat mean of you to maintain such a false accusation merely for the sake of stubbornness.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree